Home U.S. Coin Forum

1865 Washington quarter

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what an opportunity. >:)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously made by a Chinese apprentice die maker. Even they knew they couldn’t fool anyone with the artwork on this thing so they put a fantasy date on it for the “collector who has (or most have) everything

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

tem location:
    Roman, Romania

• isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Remember, China allows the manufacturer of decorative items that look like real coins or bullion. They are legally imported into the US. Check Alibaba. The legal counterfeit items tend to be the ones purposely created with different dates/mm combinations than minted. The word COPY is supposed to be on them otherwise. Of course people then use these different ways. It appears that some people use lasers to alter the date/mm to something actually minted. They find ways to fill in or remove the COPY stamps as well.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2020 10:17AM

Technically, it's an 1865 Washington "Dollar"... ;)

Looks like "Facsimile" is partially stamped on the reverse, under the eagle's wing - I can only make out the end of the word.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some fakes are easier to determine than others

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just more trash on ebay.... I just do not look for coins there anymore... even with having to stay home, I just cannot justify the waste of time sifting through all the trash. Cheers, RickO

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

These have been around for a while, since at least 1730...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could use that for the registry... a pop 1!

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why no hole for that in my Dansco??? :o

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even my wife would spot that as fake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file