Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now that citizens are bored out their skulls, will indoor hobbies, such as coin collecting take off?

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

People in many areas of the world are stuck staying inside. Many are surfing the web. Is collecting coins poised to have an insurgence of popularity as it is a solitary hobby that many may find relaxing as they take their minds off of this pandemic?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020 10:15AM

@abcde12345 said:
    People in many areas of the world are stuck staying inside. Many are surfing the web. Is collecting coins poised to have an insurgence of popularity as it is a solitary hobby that many may find relaxing as they take their minds off of this pandemic?

Coin collecting is a good activity for those who are home-bound. It's actually how I got back into coins. However, this situation is a bit different.

I can see virtual collecting of photos taking off if it was promoted the right way but not necessarily anything that requires receiving physical items in the mail. People are telling me that they are storing items in their garage for 2 days before opening now.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

People may have more time but less money, or fear of spending the money they have on non necessities. Time will tell.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The true economic impact of this is yet to be felt. Wait until those credit card bills with sky high interest charges start coming due and payments are missed. Collectibles in general are not likely to fare well. Cash, not collectibles, will be king.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Home projects are taking off, a relative at a Lowe's has seen their paint sales jump over 40%.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2020 10:23AM

@LJenkins11 said:
    Home projects are taking off, a relative at a Lowe's has seen their paint sales jump over 40%.

Good to see some signs of activity while people are at home.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pretty sure most people are being conservative with their money these days. Many good people are out of work and with all this talk about a recession will most certainly take its toll on spending. I think this will slow most everything down, including coin collecting.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020 10:46AM

I think a lot of people are praying to come out of this Corona Virus alive.
    The coronavirus is rapidly surging throughout the United States, with some small rural counties leading the country .
    There are more than 124,000 cases in the U.S. and at least 2,191 people have died
    :(

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my personal opinion that unless you are in the midst of the numismatic field ... just coin collecting would not hold enough merits to keep a person from becoming bored. :)

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amen to that Zion! :)

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

I was the reason I reappeared here after 9 years! Good to see some of the old members still here.

Honestly bored out of my skull. Off for two weeks (with pay) , cant even go outside, its raining.

Watching old Gilligan's Island reruns.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might bring another surge of people asking about pocket and parking lot change finds because they think its a million dollar rarity. But this is going to hurt a great many people financially so I very much doubt this will create any real or lasting interest in coin collecting as we move further along.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@09sVDB said:
    I was the reason I reappeared here after 9 years! Good to see some of the old members still here.

Honestly bored out of my skull. Off for two weeks (with pay) , cant even go outside, its raining.

Watching old Gilligan's Island reruns.

Welcome back!

You're not going to catch anything hanging out here :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've noticed that the CU Coin Forums have gotten extremely busy in the last couple of weeks so I would have to say yes to the OP's question.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of new collectors are going to find there is little extra value in modern proof sets.

• Options

I think there will be many coin buying opportunities in the near future. As the unemployment rate goes higher, some collectors who lost their job will be forced to sell some or all of their coins to buy the basic necessities of life.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I think there will be many coin buying opportunities in the near future. As the unemployment rate goes higher, some collectors who lost their job will be forced to sell some or all of their coins to buy the basic necessities of life.

Maybe, but precious metal holdings will probably be the first thing to go due to liquidity and less likelihood of taking a big loss on a forced sale.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@PerryHall said:

Maybe, but precious metal holdings will probably be the first thing to go due to liquidity and less likelihood of taking a big loss on a forced sale.

So we'll find out who was overextended?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be a good time to sort out what you don't want anymore and finish off something else fwiw

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I don't think it helps. I can't sell anyway. :#

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    It might be a good time to sort out what you don't want anymore and finish off something else fwiw

Already did that.
    Now I'm in a quandary as I pruned down to REAL KEEPERS B)

Don't think I can do any more as now I have the coins that have "longtime interest" to me.

Bullion stays intact. o:)

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Who's bored - I actually spending less time on the computer. Plenty of things that need to be done around the house.

• Options

Luckily I'm not under any sort of lockdown restriction, I don't have full access to things like gyms, theaters, and such but I can go where I what when I want so its not really affecting me anyway. I have been doing more in the way of yardwork which makes the misses happy.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@topstuf said:

If you need cash for am emergency, don't hesitate to sell some bullion. It can always be replaced at a later date.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I needed was a fresh loaf of Italian bread for dinner tonight. Done! Interesting all baked goods are bagged in some version of plastic. Had my nitrile gloves on and got a dozen coins out of the Coinstar that paid for the bread. Bonus! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@Exbrit said:
    Who's bored - I actually spending less time on the computer. Plenty of things that need to be done around the house.

Damned straight... best opportunity for self improvement since college

No junk food, lots of exercise and reading, tons of family time, home cooking, gardening and home improvement, martial arts and target practice, dog walking and training, bike riding, meeting new neighbors from 20 feet away and seeing old friends from half that..

20 years from now everyone will have their story of how they spent the Quarantine... go live yours

Our lists are eerily similar.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to doing more home improvement projects, I've been working a ton of crosswords. Sports viewing consists of last year's PGA tournament reruns. :)

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's all this talk about unemployment? I thought every one of you suckers was over 80. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

80 is the new 50. :p

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    I think a lot of new collectors are going to find there is little extra value in modern proof sets.

This is hilarious 😆 😆

@PerryHall said:

I’ve stumbled into a few deals already. Deals where I know the recent history of the pieces and the sellers took a quick loss. (Not huge losses, but losses nonetheless). Don’t know the sellers particular circumstances but I have my speculations.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2020 3:18PM

I seriously doubt it unless people were retired and well set. More rough time to come as only the first wave of travel, restaurants and service employees were laid off from direct impact. But they would also be the first to recover. I am expecting lot of companies from various sectors laying off staff and key personnel within the next couple months.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@johnny9434 said:

Already did that.
    Now I'm in a quandary as I pruned down to REAL KEEPERS B)

Don't think I can do any more as now I have the coins that have "longtime interest" to me.

I'll second the bullion

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be the time for the next great discover piece. people will have time to finally get some of those long put off projects done such as finding out what the coins we have are worth

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see more people walking around our quiet neighborhood than ever before. They keep sensible distances and wave slack hands, heads down. I am sure some are zombies but I always wave back because I can't spot them yet. The Glock in my holster is comforting but I hope to God it won't be necessary. Because I've never fired it and I'm not sure how.

I watch the dogs I'm walking for signs. I worry if one reacts I'll do something dumb. I think it's best to head home. I'm very concerned. I have enough toilet paper but I'm down to my last poop-bag.
    Lance.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only the extroverts are bored.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound....Take care of your Mom... that is important. As for me, I am doing fine, have done some shopping...just for food items.... Already have most stuff, but fresh vegies are a nice addition to meals. Have not got to coin projects yet.... Still doing other things that need attention.... plus, it has been raining for two days...Dogs love me being home... cats consider me an intruder.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday was the first day I didn't work in two weeks. I was deemed "essential" and have been going into the office and (mostly) the lab to generate image files and videos suitable to teach my classes online. So, I haven't had the time to tackle a home project... I did manage to take my coins out for a look though.... :smile:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2020 4:37PM

Model Railroading and gaming should thrive. For the wealthy coin collecting demand should stay strong. Beyond the wealthy, I have my doubts beyond that. Keep an idea on the canary in the mine - Auc houses, TPG’s, major dealerships. Bankruptcies here will spell doom for the industry. as we know a return to the 1960’s. Future collectors decades hence could be laughing while having their beer about the holder sticker game one fellow laughing while pulling out album of raw coins (smart self grading holders?) “can you believe they paid more for that than some of my CH BU common date CC Dollars. I hope such a scenario does not happen.

The Corona Virus (a silent , fast spreading unseen enemy) is projected (from news reports) to kill 100,000 - 200,000 Americans as I understand. This far more Americans than killed in the Vietnam War. Furthermore job losses and stress will mount. Spend money on more coins - not me. Another canary in the mine is a couple of big gun dealers on eBay I monitor to see what their auction stuff bringing. In addition this I monitor bullion prices. Take a strong drink, watch War of the Worlds 2020 and realize they have it much more worse than us from invaders from Ross 128b a real planet in its stars habittable zone only 11 light years away. Google it. In the show - We beamed them music they sent an invasion to eliminate humans from the face of the earth. Clearing real estate for development? I do believe coins won’t go below melt .......But like the Titanic anything else could go (like a matter of physics that metal will sink) if this thing drags on long enough.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now is the time to try and give out Whitman folders to neighborhood kids. Many neighborhoods use Facebook groups or NextDoor, so here's your chance to target parents of kids that have collector tendencies. State quarters, nickels, Lincoln Memorial cents could keep them busy for a while (or could keep their parents making trips to the bank drive-thru).

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

For kids home from school, maybe. For grownups who are out of work with kids home from school, I doubt it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file