Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Professional card-cutting services?

BartAllen2BartAllen2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey there ^_^

I recently posted a thread - here to be more specific -, and I essentially learned the importance of cleanly-cutting cards that are designed to be hand-cut, so I'm curious are there any users who know of professional services which hand-cut cards in the United Kingdom or the United States?

As I'm a tad bit nervous to even try to attempt to cut those Swedish Rekord Journal cards as of late.

All comments are much welcomed.

I edited this a bit for clarity - Todd

Comments

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a complete failure at hand cutting sheet cards. Could use help there too.

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 8:16AM

Please don't go there... Todd

Mike
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I’m pretty good at it. Straight edge and an Exact-o knife were used and Series 7 and 8 (below) are tied for highest graded. All came to me with irregular shape and all ended up with pretty sharp corners and clean edges.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited April 1, 2020 10:29AM

I should add...

...I’m not a professional service and have only ever cut cards that were designated ‘hand cut’ and they for me and my collection. But I could offer tips if you decide to do it for yourself. It’s not exactly rocket science but there’s some tips I would advise.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    BartAllen2BartAllen2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I should add...

...I’m not a professional service and have only ever cut cards that were designated ‘hand cut’ and they for me and my collection. But I could offer tips if you decide to do it for yourself. It’s not exactly rocket science but there’s some tips I would advise.

Thanks :3 But were those graded graded Poor-VF based on the cutting skills? ~

• Options

@BartAllen2 said:

I should add...

Fair question.

My answer is no; granted, I didn’t grade them. However, the fact that they qualify to receive a numeric grade is the evidence I submit as to the ‘skill’ of the cut. Please allow me to explain.

If it wasn’t rectangular in shape with four right angles, it would have received a grade of ‘A‘* and that would be my fault since I gave it its current shape. So once it’s qualified for a number grade, I’ve ‘gotten credit’ for the part of it I have control over - the shape. If you looked closely at these in hand, you’ll see that each card graded 40 has a minor crease somewhere. The poor card has some damage on the blank back but the front is nearly perfect and with respect to these items the front is really all that matters (to me, anyway).

Lastly, the size of these 80+ year old cards (around 6x8), their bedroom wall poster and scrapbook use for kids at the time they were issued 1930s, the lack of proper protective storage for these and the fact that 95% of the copies I’ve ever seen have some major flaw meant ‘high grade’ copies were going to be very hard to find. As someone who has submitted to PSA for Jumbo items, high grade items from pre 1970 are pretty tough to find. There’s always going to be exceptions - of course - but at the end of the day these were cereal boxes; check out what one looks like before it hits the recycling bin next time you finish off a box. Then think about what it will look like in 80 years.

*An otherwise rectangular card could have an alteration (including measuring ‘short’ which is really handled issue by issue).

• Options

@BartAllen2 said:

I should add...

Fair question.

My answer is no; granted, I didn’t grade them. However, the fact that they qualify to receive a numeric grade is the evidence I submit as to the ‘skill’ of the cut. Please allow me to explain.

If it wasn’t rectangular in shape with four right angles, it would have received a grade of ‘A‘* and that would be my fault since I gave it its current shape. So once it’s qualified for a number grade, I’ve ‘gotten credit’ for the part of it I have control over - the shape. If you looked closely at these in hand, you’ll see that each card graded 40 has a minor crease somewhere. The poor card has some damage on the blank back but the front is nearly perfect and with respect to these items the front is really all that matters (to me, anyway).

Lastly, the size of these 80+ year old cards (around 6x8), their bedroom wall poster and scrapbook use for kids at the time they were issued 1930s, the lack of proper protective storage for these and the fact that 95% of the copies I’ve ever seen have some major flaw meant ‘high grade’ copies were going to be very hard to find. As someone who has submitted to PSA for Jumbo items, high grade items from pre 1970 are pretty tough to find. There’s always going to be exceptions - of course - but at the end of the day these were cereal boxes; check out what one looks like before it hits the recycling bin next time you finish off a box. Then think about what it will look like in 80 years.

*An otherwise rectangular card could have an alteration (including measuring ‘short’ which is really handled issue by issue).

Thanks for the amazing and insightful reply ^_^

I still plan on cutting these and sending them to PSA ~

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Why not a paper cutter ?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    Please don't go there... Todd

Ok. But I wanted to. :)