Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Should I send these boxing cards to PSA?

Would it be worth it to send them in? Also, I'm curious how one would suggesting cutting the Swedish Record Journal cards? With scissors, or with a utility knife combined with a ruler?

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

NEVER use a scissors!

I use a metal ruler and a fresh blade in a utility knife. I generally change the blade after making 6-8 cuts.

Blades get dull quickly and sometimes can "tear" bottom side of card when it looks like the top is cutting cleanly.

I would leave the singles alone, cut the ones with lines between cards right on the line. You might want to send the Johansson/Jernberg card in as a panel, if you decide to cut it, make sure you leave enough border on the Johansson card.

I would send them all in!

Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • @JoeBanzai said:
    Welcome!

NEVER use a scissors!

I use a metal ruler and a fresh blade in a utility knife. I generally change the blade after making 6-8 cuts.

Blades get dull quickly and sometimes can "tear" bottom side of card when it looks like the top is cutting cleanly.

I would leave the singles alone, cut the ones with lines between cards right on the line. You might want to send the Johansson/Jernberg card in as a panel, if you decide to cut it, make sure you leave enough border on the Johansson card.

I would send them all in!

Good luck!

Thanks a lot ^_^

Yeah with the Swedish cards I was planning on sending them as a whole - instead of cutting them individually. I've noticed some people tend to leave a reasonable amount of the border within the cards when sending to PSA ~

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 3:38PM

Title: Yes, but not now. Their offices are closed.

There's definitely several that are worth it, on the Rekord Journal - Ali, Primo, Ingemar, Patterson, Marciano, Sugar Ray for sure. You'll probably want to check populations and sales prices to see if two card panels or individual singles make more sense. Others here know the Ringside and Adventure sets better, so I'll let them comment if those would be worthwhile in that condition.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

DO NOT attempt to cut them yourself if you never have done it before. There used to be some folks on here that are amazing at hand cutting cards. I have to look in my PMs because it was a few years ago but someone cut the manny Pacquiao rookie card for me and i scored a psa 10. Nice cards by the way. Good luck

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    DO NOT attempt to cut them yourself if you never have done it before. There used to be some folks on here that are amazing at hand cutting cards. I have to look in my PMs because it was a few years ago but someone cut the manny Pacquiao rookie card for me and i scored a psa 10. Nice cards by the way. Good luck

How soon you forget Eagles! :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:

@eagles33 said:

How soon you forget Eagles! :-)

That’s right!!! I completely forgot who did it. Thanks again. Saved me from ruining the cards

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • @eagles33 said:

Woah, cutting them wrong can lower the PSA? faints

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Tyson Fury card is smokin hot. I love that image of the "gypsy king". I watched that Fury vs Wilder II fight, and Fury was a savage that night. I couldn't believe Fury licked the blood from Wilder's neck. That card definitely belongs in a PSA slab.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:

Is this going to be for your personal collection?

A lot depends on your manual dexterity. I have worked on small items that needed to be precisely cut or painted.

You might want to practice on a few cheap cards first. Do you have any old issues of "Baseball Cards" magazine? If not, pick up a couple off of ebay (you can get them pretty cheap if they don't have big stars in them) and practice.

Set up a good "work station", a solid table with plenty of light. I also use a piece of scrap Masonite underneath so I don't cut up the table. Don't use wood underneath that has a grain in it or it can cause your knife to travel off your desired line of cutting. Do NOT get cheap and use a blade for too many cuts, paper dulls blades quickly and old paper can get "soft" and tear.

If you have a steady hand and are good at working with precision, it's really not that tough.

I have also made a few mistakes along the way. :-(

Good luck with whatever you decide.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the Swedish Rekord Journal ones, have someone else cut them for you if you don't know what you're doing. And if you try, then before you do it, study a lot of photos of graded ones to get an idea for borders to leave on there. That said, you should probably only submit the Cassius Clay and the Sugar Ray Robinson. The Marciano would have been good if it wasn't for the pen writing. There isn't a whole lot of market for the rest of them, because Ron already has good copies of them and there aren't many more buyers in graded vs. not graded format for anyone beyond the top most stars. However, if you only have a couple/few dollars into them, it wouldn't hurt, but if you spent somewhere between 10-20 on the other Rekord Journal ones besides Clay & Robinson, then only sub them for your personal collection as you likely won't recoup the fees, especially if you are not experienced at cutting them.

You'll need to study the sales figures for the 1956 Adventure boxing cards before deciding on those:

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1956-adventure/33227

• @doubledragon said:
    That Tyson Fury card is smokin hot. I love that image of the "gypsy king". I watched that Fury vs Wilder II fight, and Fury was a savage that night. I couldn't believe Fury licked the blood from Wilder's neck. That card definitely belongs in a PSA slab.

Thanks again :3

@doubledragon

A lot depends on your manual dexterity. I have worked on small items that needed to be precisely cut or painted.

You might want to practice on a few cheap cards first. Do you have any old issues of "Baseball Cards" magazine? If not, pick up a couple off of ebay (you can get them pretty cheap if they don't have big stars in them) and practice.

Set up a good "work station", a solid table with plenty of light. I also use a piece of scrap Masonite underneath so I don't cut up the table. Don't use wood underneath that has a grain in it or it can cause your knife to travel off your desired line of cutting. Do NOT get cheap and use a blade for too many cuts, paper dulls blades quickly and old paper can get "soft" and tear.

If you have a steady hand and are good at working with precision, it's really not that tough.

Thanks again! And I will attempt to do so, as I didn't realise cutting those is a big deal :(

@miwlvrn said:
    For the Swedish Rekord Journal ones, have someone else cut them for you if you don't know what you're doing. And if you try, then before you do it, study a lot of photos of graded ones to get an idea for borders to leave on there. That said, you should probably only submit the Cassius Clay and the Sugar Ray Robinson. The Marciano would have been good if it wasn't for the pen writing. There isn't a whole lot of market for the rest of them, because Ron already has good copies of them and there aren't many more buyers in graded vs. not graded format for anyone beyond the top most stars. However, if you only have a couple/few dollars into them, it wouldn't hurt, but if you spent somewhere between 10-20 on the other Rekord Journal ones besides Clay & Robinson, then only sub them for your personal collection as you likely won't recoup the fees, especially if you are not experienced at cutting them.

Many thanks, Miwlvrn ^_^

I mean, how would one person find a rather skilled and trustworthy cutter-of-cards? ^_^

There are some people on this board who are experienced and will cut with quality, for a small fee per card.

• BartAllen2BartAllen2 Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 1:30PM

@miwlvrn said:
    There are some people on this board who are experienced and will cut with quality, for a small fee per card.

Naturally there might be a lot in the US, as opposed to the UK (hopefully there'll be some on this forum from the United Kingdom) - but it's kind of insane that so much value and grading can be created by how skilled someone is cutting the card (or cards) from the panel, as opposed to how well the card survived ~

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BartAllen2 said:

@miwlvrn said:

Naturally there might be a lot in the US, as opposed to the UK (hopefully there'll be some on this forum from the United Kingdom) - but it's kind of insane that so much value and grading can be created by how skilled someone is cutting the card (or cards) from the panel, as opposed to how well the card survived ~

If you're cutting the cards out of the magazine, you're a link in the chain that the card has to survive. :)

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

@BartAllen2 said:

@miwlvrn said:

If you're cutting the cards out of the magazine, you're a link in the chain that the card has to survive. :)

Arthur

<3<3

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Very gradable for sure.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

@fiveniner said:
    Very gradable for sure.

I'm going to try to fine-tune my cutting skills ~

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Yes yes yes

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@BartAllen2 said:

@doubledragon said:

Thanks again :3

@doubledragon

Thanks again! And I will attempt to do so, as I didn't realise cutting those is a big deal :(

@miwlvrn said:

Many thanks, Miwlvrn ^_^

I mean, how would one person find a rather skilled and trustworthy cutter-of-cards? ^_^

I’d be happy to cut them for you, but I’d be hesitant myself to send them to a total stranger lol

@soxaddict said:
    I’d be happy to cut them for you, but I’d be hesitant myself to send them to a total stranger lol

I mean - just out of curiosity - which equipment would you recommend using? :3