Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update: Books are Here! New Book: United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839

2»

Comments

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Books have been delivered and will begin shipping tomorrow. Thanks to all who have ordered, and for your patience.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting with baited breath.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Oh Boy! So sorry for your less than a well rounded life. :#

Your copy is a special edition scratch 'n sniff. Scratch it and it smells like dirty old gold.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:
    Books have been delivered and will begin shipping tomorrow. Thanks to all who have ordered, and for your patience.

Great! I have a lawn chair set up at the mailbox and will wait it out there. My last delivery was placed in the arm pit of my 12 ft cactus out front so I’m being proactive this time.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Oh Boy! So sorry for your less than a well rounded life. :#

Your copy is a special edition scratch 'n sniff. Scratch it and it smells like dirty old gold.

I beg to differ (unfortunately). At this point in my life, I am well rounded. As long as it doesn't smell like certain dealers, I'm good with that.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2020 4:54PM

The new Classic Gold Coins book is here! The new Classic Gold Coins book is here!

It’s gorgeous. Can’t wait to dig in. Congrats Daryl!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks terrific! Did it contain the free classic gold apology coin for being late?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that deluxe edition is handsome to the max!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copy #6 happily slid onto my shelf with other leather clad ladies already living there. The deluxe is beautiful, if you are considering one order NOW! The regular edition is no slouch either. I look forward to attributing classic gold.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@TomB said:
    It looks terrific! Did it contain the free classic gold apology coin for being late?

I may have put a coupon in your copy for the free coin. Maybe I forgot.....

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

@TomB said:

I can't wait for the Post Office to open tomorrow! Arghhhhhhhhh!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2020 7:55PM

I received mine yesterday. It looks to be a definitive reference, but I am surprised that he never reached out to those how have registry sets to get more information. The photos and comments are out there.

He listed two coins that I am holding in his condition census, but I never heart a word from him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I received mine yesterday. It looks to be a definitive reference, but I am surprised that he never reached out to those how have registry sets to get more information. The photos and comments are out there.

He listed two coins that I am holding in his condition census, but I never heart a word from him.

BillJones - when you say "him", are you referring to the author? You never heard a word from him?

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2020 8:20PM

@Ronyahski said:

@TomB said:

It will take a little longer to reach me but wow that deluxe cover with the embossed coin really looks terrific. Glad I went for it and the autograph.

I’ll be sure to check for the coupon as well. 😊

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

@BillJones said:

BillJones - when you say "him", are you referring to the author? You never heard a word from him?

No, I never heard anything from him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve only had a chance to barely start looking through it, and I can tell already that it is an amazing reference book. The reference book scene for this series literally went from 0 to 100 overnight.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got mine. My daughter looked at the cover and said "that sure is a thick book for a coin they only made for 5 years" lol .

• Options

The E-Sylum is seeking reviews of the book, from a full blown book review, to a sentence or two on your thoughts. If anybody would like to share, even as short as what you have already posted, please send it to Wayne Homren, Editor of the E-Sylum, at whomren@gmail.com

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Ronyahski said:

@BillJones said:

No, I never heard anything from him.

Bill - Just to close the loop on this, I wrote the book. If you go back and look, you will find dozens of private messages and emails between us discussing Classic Gold. Most of that correspondence relates to your two condition census coins.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    Got mine. My daughter looked at the cover and said "that sure is a thick book for a coin they only made for 5 years" lol .

Six years. 1834, 1835, 1836, 1837, 1838 and 1839.

Started skimming through it last night and it looks great. Just up to the section on the different head styles, a mystery which always fascinated me. I saved the mystery for this morning, after I am adequately caffeinated.

Chapter 4 talks about the designing of the coins, and the various proposals to put the date of the law that changed the weight and the fineness of the denominations on them. It never happened, of course, but it reminded me of this Bechtler piece, images courtesy of our gracious host.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine arrived today, 33 of 75

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 6:17PM

@CaptHenway said:

@Gazes said:

Six years. 1834, 1835, 1836, 1837, 1838 and 1839.

Started skimming through it last night and it looks great. Just up to the section on the different head styles, a mystery which always fascinated me. I saved the mystery for this morning, after I am adequately caffeinated.

Chapter 4 talks about the designing of the coins, and the various proposals to put the date of the law that changed the weight and the fineness of the denominations on them. It never happened, of course, but it reminded me of this Bechtler piece, images courtesy of our gracious host.

Glad you are enjoying it so far. The story goes that the Bechtlers were under the impression that the design of the new gold coins would include Aug 1, 1834, the effective date of the change in the gold standard. So they adopted the design for their gold issues.

I spent hours and days combing through the various congressional committee proposals of late 1833-early 1834, Mint correspondence, etc. looking for a potential source of this proposal. I could only trace back to a letter that Secretary of Treasury Levi Woodbury wrote to U.S. Mint Director Samuel Moore on July 7, 1834, where he, "presumed that the coinage of gold after this time or at least after the 1st of August will be a specific date as the month to show they have been issued under the new Acts of Congress."

I made my own presumption that Woodbury did not develop this presumption on his own, since he only took office as Secretary of the Treasury six days before, on July 1, 1834. Prior to that, he was Secretary of the Navy, and did not have a knowledge base about Mint operations. So, either there is more documentation out there I just could not find, or I shouldn't have presumed why Woodbury presumed. Maybe he just didn't know what he was talking about.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finished skimming through the entire book. Great information on the different head variations. The only missing answer is why the $2-1/2's have so many significantly different heads, instead of one basic head with individual die touchups, as on the $5's. I guess we will never know.

I remember when the 1837 $2-1/2 (probably Proof) with the initials "E.A.G." on it came up for sale. It was one die that John McCloskey did not have, and I talked to him about it before the sale. I had this romantic notion that Gobrecht had engraved it as a gift for a relation, possibly a daughter, but I could never prove a connection. He did not pursue the coin, and now we know why.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2020 8:50PM

I received 57 of 75 last weekend. Wonderful book and reference....worth the wait.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options

@Proofmorgan said:
    I received 57 of 75 last weekend. Wonderful book and reference....worth the wait.

Anyone know if all 75 have been spoken for?

• Options

@1northcoin said:

@Proofmorgan said:

Anyone know if all 75 have been spoken for?

As of last Monday, only Numbers 68 through 75 are left.

• Options
    VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

My cat can barely contain her excitement.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2020 11:19PM

@1northcoin said:

@Ronyahski said:

@TomB said:

It will take a little longer to reach me but wow that deluxe cover with the embossed coin really looks terrific. Glad I went for it and the autograph.

I’ll be sure to check for the coupon as well. 😊

Arrived! 61 of 75.

Nice introduction by Q.David Bowers and interesting to read the bios of both authors. Lots of welcome history relating to the time period as well.

• Options

@Ronyahski said:
    The E-Sylum is seeking reviews of the book, from a full blown book review, to a sentence or two on your thoughts. If anybody would like to share, even as short as what you have already posted, please send it to Wayne Homren, Editor of the E-Sylum, at whomren@gmail.com

OK, have done:

Nice introduction by Q.David Bowers and interesting to read the stories of both contributors that led to their interest in the Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839.  . Lots of welcome history is also included relating to the time period as well.

For those who relish coins as a way to connect with our nation's own history this is an enticing read as to the subject time period.  These "monuments" from the past become meaningful to the reader thanks to the incredible scholarly presentation by the current author who incorporated the efforts of his mentor consequent from their combined decades of research and study.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was great that John McCloskey's contributions were preserved and acknowledged. This will be "the book" on the series for a long time, it's difficult to imagine anything superseding this.

• Options

@1northcoin said:

@Ronyahski said:

OK, have done:

Nice introduction by Q.David Bowers and interesting to read the stories of both contributors that led to their interest in the Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839.  . Lots of welcome history is also included relating to the time period as well.

For those who relish coins as a way to connect with our nation's own history this is an enticing read as to the subject time period.  These "monuments" from the past become meaningful to the reader thanks to the incredible scholarly presentation by the current author who incorporated the efforts of his mentor consequent from their combined decades of research and study.

Your review was included in tonight's E-Sylum. Thank you for taking the time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file