Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2000 D Sacagawea VIP STRIKE?? weird R and L dye engraving plus weird strikes

fordvee74fordvee74 Posts: 18
edited March 14, 2020 1:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Sacagawea 2000 VIP STRIKE DENVER ?
It's not a scratch on the obverse.

Here is the true color. It's like a darker gold

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 1:48PM

Yeah my Android camera sucks. It has some weird dye dude it's not engraved. It's like the R and L is dye. You have to turn it a certain angle in the light. The R is barely seen by the naked eye. Try to veiw the pictures from a laptop and zoom in on the eagle's chest you will see what I'm talking about. Definitely not a regular sac. Someone keeps deleting my discussion hopefully they will let this one stay.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Let me start off by saying sorry for my less than constructive comment on your other thread. :*

Your coin has been doing it's job in commerce, it is a common dollar. The things you are seeing on the reverse breast is post mint damage (PMD). There are no hidden R or L initials. The mark on the obverse is indeed a scratch. You mentioned a grade in your other thread and this coin would be AU and is not MS.

For those looking for the other thread it looks like it was removed

• Options

Way to rain on my parade

• Options

LOL! Sorry! :'(

• Options

👻

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, unlike the typical dreary pocket change find that makes its way to these pages all too regrettably often, at least you can buy a doughnut with that.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, carried in some VIP's pocket. Circulated example.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

How does a VIP strike Denver Sacagawea look anyways. How will we know if we don't know what to look for???

• Options

It's like a mystery. No info besides smalldollars.com and they always talk about VIP strike Philadelphia mint never Denver mint 😴

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

To the best of my knowledge, all the VIP 2000 Sac Dollars were P mint. There were Denver mint dollars with a burnished finish included in the Millennium Coinage and Currency Set in 2000, but those tend to stay in those sets, unless submitted for grading. I've never heard of one ending up in circulation. In any case, the mintage was several times that of the P-mint VIP dollars, so they aren't nearly as valuable.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2020 2:20AM

Dude VIP 2000 Denver mint Sacagawea's are more valuable what are you talking about? Only 120 were struck, them ending up in circulation is not impossible. It happened 20 years ago.

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Yup, carried in some VIP's pocket. Circulated example.

bob :(

So you agree Bob? It's a VIP strike.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure but I don't think VIP strikes are slabbed because I don't think there are specific and identifiable differences from regular strikes. If you have ever original packaging then that is what gives it the privenance.

On any case, your coin looks like a normal Sac.

• Options

https://youtu.be/1js8XfEm1JQ

YouTube video of the reverse.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fordvee74 ....Welcome aboard....I have looked at your pictures and video... I believe I see what you are referring to... Keeping in mind, in hand evaluation is far superior to any pictures, I believe what you have is PMD on a circulated Sacajawea dollar. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It is a circulated golden dollar........ sorry it's not your golden goose. :/

• Options

You have to see it in person. I know it's not a regular sac

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2020 5:35PM

What are the characteristics that you see on the coin that make you believe it's a Denver VIP issue? Are there any known die markers that you see on your coin? If you're claiming you have an extraordinary coin you need to provide some solid proof.

@fordvee74 said:

Why should we believe your opinion when you have yet to demonstrate any credible information regarding your knowledge and experience with small dollars? Just because it "looks different" isn't solid evidence.

If you don't believe the opinions that knowledgeable numismatists (who BTW, have demonstrated there knowledge on this forum over the years) have given you, your next step would be sending it to a TPG like PCGS for authentication. If it's truly such a rare coin, you'll want to do that in any case. Do it now and then post the results. Nothing better than telling a bunch of know it all experts that they were wrong and you're the true expert

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fordvee74 said:

That's why regular self-examination is important.

• Options

Ym> @Oldhoopster said:

What are the characteristics that you see on the coin that make you believe it's a Denver VIP issue? Are there any known die markers that you see on your coin? If you're claiming you have an extraordinary coin you need to provide some solid proof.

@fordvee74 said:

Why should we believe your opinion when you have yet to demonstrate any credible information regarding your knowledge and experience with small dollars? Just because it "looks different" isn't solid evidence.

If you don't believe the opinions that knowledgeable numismatists (who BTW, have demonstrated there knowledge on this forum over the years) have given you, your next step would be sending it to a TPG like PCGS for authentication. If it's truly such a rare coin, you'll want to do that in any case. Do it now and then post the results. Nothing better than telling a bunch of know it all experts that they were wrong and you're the true expert

@Oldhoopster said:

@fordvee74 said:

Yes it had the employee appreciation strike on the front. And weird dye on the eagle's chest as shown in the video

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2020 5:27PM

@Oldhoopster said:

Yes it had the employee appreciation strike on the front. And weird dye on the eagle's chest as shown in the video

So are you saying that the known characteristics of the 120 Denver VIP pieces are weird dye on the Rev and some marking (stamp? sticker? imprint?) that says "Employee Appreciation Strike" on the front? Can you show a pic of the Employee Appreciation strike on front? Where did you find the info that says a weird dye on the reverse is a diagnostic for the VIP strikes?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Maybe it's a tie dye. :D

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it. Of all the countless explanations for a coin looking "different", why settle on the one that is the most far fetched and unprovable?

I might be wrong but I am not aware of any established die characteristics unique to VIP strikes.

And what the heck is a "weird dye"?

• Options

IDK yall. It just doesn't look like a regular sac. That's it

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@Oldhoopster said:

So are you saying that the known characteristics of the 120 Denver VIP pieces are weird dye on the Rev and some marking (stamp? sticker? imprint?) that says "Employee Appreciation Strike" on the front? Can you show a pic of the Employee Appreciation strike on front? Where did you find the info that says a weird dye on the reverse is a diagnostic for the VIP strikes?

Pictures are here. Proof is in the pudding. Just need grading

• Options

@JBK said:
    I don't get it. Of all the countless explanations for a coin looking "different", why settle on the one that is the most far fetched and unprovable?

I might be wrong but I am not aware of any established die characteristics unique to VIP strikes.

Jbk it's an engraving on the eagles chest. But it's not hand made. It had to be struck on a special press because you can only see it at a certain angle. I took the pictures using a Android. Try using a Android instead of a iPhone and zoom in and tell me what you see.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Maybe it's a tie dye. :D

Haha . I'm kind of green when it comes to the terms coin collectors use. My bad

• Options

@JBK said:

What are the characteristics of a VIP strike JBK? you seem like you're the most knowledgeable on this discussion.

• Options

@fordvee74 said:
    Ym> @Oldhoopster said:

@fordvee74 said:

@Oldhoopster said:

@fordvee74 said:

I'm with you oldhoopster. This covid 19 is jacking everything up. Soon as this is cleared up I will do that.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I am not sure but I don't think VIP strikes are slabbed because I don't think there are specific and identifiable differences from regular strikes. If you have ever original packaging then that is what gives it the privenance.

On any case, your coin looks like a normal Sac.

Hmm. Maybe this one got lost in circulation on accident. I mean it happened 20 years ago. Think about it.. if there were more of these puppies found there would be a lot more information about them on the internet. The original packaging would have sealed the deal but maybe .. just maybe this is what I think it is. It has a engraving on the eagles chest that couldn't have been PMD.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a beginner collector here last summer who posted almost daily his finds (he would search rolls and stuff)- posting his conclusions here. You write like him (compliment) and disagree with others like him (not such a compliment).
    Welcome to the forums. Again?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file