Home Precious Metals
Options

Is now a good time to buy ASE's ??

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2020 1:23PM

not for me unless there's a 10% bonus buck discount.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way the stock market AND the PM market are going? I'm waiting a bit. I "need" a couple 2020 SAEs, but I still don't like the prices right now.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Thanks for the input @Bochiman Hope you are safe in 'Seattle' :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    The way the stock market AND the PM market are going? I'm waiting a bit. I "need" a couple 2020 SAEs, but I still don't like the prices right now.

The way things are going we should be able to get our 2020's for around $10 a piece ;)

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Thanks for the input @Bochiman Hope you are safe in 'Seattle' :)

Thanks @1630Boston .
    Luckier than some, smarter than most ;)
    I've been a good coin collector and practiced "social distancing" for years :smiley:

In all seriousness, even before this struck, I already practiced good habits and I stay out of seattle proper all the time anyway. I do live about 10-15 miles from the epicenter of all the deaths though, but I don't work there, am not that infirm, and haven't been near that area for awhile.

Our governor is finally reacting, after almost a month of this, but it looks like other parts of the country are trying to get ahead of things to head it off, so, be safe out there and stay away from sick people

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman ....Stay well and stay away from crowds....I am a firm believer, that the advice from the authorities is sound and will be effective when followed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

stop it before you start with that dreck.

buy 90% from now on

• Options
    edited March 12, 2020 7:20PM

• Options
    edited March 12, 2020 9:21PM

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m tempted ... to order another monster box. They’re a dollar per coin less than the last box I ordered, yesterday.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you haven't seen my post in another thread: Coronavirus concerns lead Ohio, Maryland, Kentucky, Georgia and Washington state to close school for at least 2 weeks.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

In this price range premiums tend to go up as spot drops so your not likely to get them real cheap. If you need just 2 pay the piper and be done with it.

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demand for physical silver is surging and the U.S. Mint can’t keep up.. (Kitco).

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-03-12/Physical-silver-bullion-is-back-in-demand-and-the-U-S-Mint-can-t-keep-up.html

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options

don't go thinking that fundamentals mean anything.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's a good time to buy any fund, etf, stock, PM etc. at this moment. Every fund in my 401k is down, so are the optional funds. So my question is what do I do, take the penalty and run? Stay the course and lose it all? Calling my advisor today that manages my company 401k fund. I've never experienced this heavy of a loss.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@RonB said:
    Demand for physical silver is surging and the U.S. Mint can’t keep up.. (Kitco).

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-03-12/Physical-silver-bullion-is-back-in-demand-and-the-U-S-Mint-can-t-keep-up.html

On days like today when spot is down and the mint is OOS do they allow the APs to lock in prices at today's spot or only when they have stock to sell again? Anyone know?

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

??? It’s never a good time to buy ASE’s, the only time was pre 2004 and even then it was pure speculation and luck

keceph `anah
  • Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

If they are within your price boundaries, why not!?

Best to see what your LCS is asking, the pricing online is kind of high.

I am comfortable paying approximately $2 over what I can purchase generic rounds for.

I am going to stop by my LCS early next week. If their premiums are higher than I expect, I will probably purchase a Franklin or two to kick off starting a collection.

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    I don't think it's a good time to buy any fund, etf, stock, PM etc. at this moment. Every fund in my 401k is down, so are the optional funds. So my question is what do I do, take the penalty and run? Stay the course and lose it all? Calling my advisor today that manages my company 401k fund. I've never experienced this heavy of a loss.

If you have solid funds/stocks stay the course and earn the same money over again or bail and hope you can buy back in cheaper. TOUGH CHOICE.

• Options

@RonB said:

The mint has contracts in place and abides by specific guidelines. As long as their preferred dealers take shipments, they will officially sell out. They do not track how much inventory dealers are sitting on. Remember, most dealers have to aquire their inventory through the allocated dealers. Did I say that properly?

• Options
    edited March 13, 2020 5:15PM

@isaiah58 said:

@1630Boston said:

I am comfortable paying approximately $2 over what I can purchase generic rounds for.

I am going to stop by my LCS early next week. If their premiums are higher than I expect, I will probably purchase a Franklin or two to kick off starting a collection.

At least one AP is paying $2 over for sealed boxes any date so how can you expect your LCS to sell them for that when he probably paid $380 a roll? I have not seen any cheap enough to where they could be profitably sold at $2 over current spot or $16.70 each or $334 per roll.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@isaiah58 said:

@1630Boston said:

At least one AP is paying $2 over for sealed boxes any date so how can you expect your LCS to sell them for that when he probably paid $380 a roll? I have not seen any cheap enough to where they could be profitably sold at $2 over current spot or $16.70 each or $334 per roll.

What I said was $2 over what they are selling generic rounds for. I do understand that it is going to be hard to find them much below $20 regardless of where spot goes.

My goal next week is to discover how low dealers are going. I am guessing below $16 an ounce may not be feasible. I prefer to not pay more than $1 over spot for generic.

JM has shut down on eBay for the weekend. Scottsdale is still getting $19 plus for their auctions. The others are between $17 and $18 an once in generic, dancing around $22 on ASEs.

My LCS does not have to pay shipping or seller fees. They are over 40 years old, a authorized US Mint distributor as well. I will post my findings. :)

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

@1630Boston said:

remember if your coin dealer is older dont cough at them .

My local guy is about 75 I'm staying away for a bit B)

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@isaiah58 said:

@1630Boston said:

What I said was $2 over what they are selling generic rounds for. I do understand that it is going to be hard to find them much below $20 regardless of where spot goes.

My goal next week is to discover how low dealers are going. I am guessing below $16 an ounce may not be feasible. I prefer to not pay more than $1 over spot for generic.

JM has shut down on eBay for the weekend. Scottsdale is still getting $19 plus for their auctions. The others are between $17 and $18 an once in generic, dancing around $22 on ASEs.

My LCS does not have to pay shipping or seller fees. They are over 40 years old, a authorized US Mint distributor as well. I will post my findings. :)

Some of those APs have retail and dealer pricing. The one I follow doesn't publish retail pricing but dealer pricing is usually .15 -25 over spot and you'd need to buy at least 2 MBs I think to get that price and they pay shipping. APMEX has a dealer portal or used to.

• Options

@rawteam1 said:

@1630Boston said:

??? It’s never a good time to buy ASE’s, the only time was pre 2004 and even then it was pure speculation and luck

That's kinda lame since there are many people out there who do buy so if you can flip em for a profit why not buy em. Buying em with the idea that they'll make you rich not so much a good idea.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local dealer had a tube of mixed date 90's today for $380 - I opted for 2 UNC rolls of 64 Kennedies instead at 11.7x face.
    I did look at the ASE's pretty long though, they were nice... not scuffed up handled improper or otherwise dingy.

• Options

@Meltdown said:
    My local dealer had a tube of mixed date 90's today for $380 - I opted for 2 UNC rolls of 64 Kennedies instead at 11.7x face.
    I did look at the ASE's pretty long though, they were nice... not scuffed up handled improper or otherwise dingy.

I've bought them in the 90's before too, thinking oh this is a low mintage year maybe its going to have a premium over some 2015 example where they made 30 million . But its not true, 1996 is like 3 million right? There can't even be 1000 idiots collecting date runs of these things. there will never be a shortage of any date outside of the one that came with the gold in that set.

imagine if a person came to you and said , I'm thinking of doing an album of ASE's ? :D never gonna happen

• Options
    edited March 13, 2020 7:18PM

ASE albums make a great way to collect coins. There are many varieties of the ASE to be collected. It makes a great collection to pass on to loved ones.

One day, not in our lifetime, ASEs will be like Morgans. Imagine an album today with ALL of the morgans in BU condition.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to think that - yes, it probably is.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@derryb said:
    ASE albums make a great way to collect coins. There are many varieties of the ASE to be collected. It makes a great collection to pass on to loved ones.

One day, not in our lifetime, ASEs will be like Morgans. Imagine an album today with ALL of the morgans in BU condition.

stop flogging your stock :D

if you really believe that then buy the morgans now and clip 100 years off the curve B)

Throw that worthless book in the trash

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Meltdown said:

I've bought them in the 90's before too, thinking oh this is a low mintage year maybe its going to have a premium over some 2015 example where they made 30 million . But its not true, 1996 is like 3 million right? There can't even be 1000 idiots collecting date runs of these things. there will never be a shortage of any date outside of the one that came with the gold in that set.

imagine if a person came to you and said , I'm thinking of doing an album of ASE's ? :D never gonna happen

I bought like 25 rolls of 1996 ASE in 1996. Scotsman coin sent out a flyer saying they were super low mintage. I listened and I bought. I sold all at huge profit. I think the most I got was $500 a roll from a dealer. That was in 1997. Silver was probably $7 to $9 an ounce.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Meltdown said:

I bought like 25 rolls of 1996 ASE in 1996. Scotsman coin sent out a flyer saying they were super low mintage. I listened and I bought. I sold all at huge profit. I think the most I got was $500 a roll from a dealer. That was in 1997. Silver was probably $7 to $9 an ounce.

I remember trading 1996 eagles for random year issues 2 for 1. I only had a few rolls to swap at the time sure wish I would of had more.

I also have 3 Danscos of full date sets. All acquired in the albums at or near spot with the album basically thrown in for free. I continue to add the current years issue to keep the sets complete.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@fivecents said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Meltdown said:

I remember trading 1996 eagles for random year issues 2 for 1. I only had a few rolls to swap at the time sure wish I would of had more.

I also have 3 Danscos of full date sets. All acquired in the albums at or near spot with the album basically thrown in for free. I continue to add the current years issue to keep the sets complete.

thats different though , the idea that someone is going to pay extra for"semi key" dates to retroactively fill an album of the most boring bullion ever made is the silly part. If you fill at the current year fine, its not retroactive though.

Personal I'm sitting on a full set of ASE proofs through 2018 but I'm not going to continue because of the extra stupid ones they are releasing I just quit. Oh gotta get the W mintmark ! no I friggin don't :D stick those fake raritys where the sun don't shine mr US mint

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a dealer, I am against dumping money into anything with such a high premium as ASE's. Our shop is closed today, however we are still getting record calls for availability. Yesterday was a zoo, we had 5 staff out front and a line 10 people deep to help all day long. ASE's when we had them in stock were $4.50 over. Our bid retail I believe was $2 over for BU's and $1.50 over for problem. Crazy times indeed. All sold out of generic silver 1 and 10 oz, and sold all the small gold pieces.

• Options

There was a BRIEF window on eBay yesterday to get 2020 ASEs for about $350 a roll. It's now up to $475 a roll. Wish I'd bought 200. Hope they don't cancel my order.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Yep Bajjer you a certified genius... lol

keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2020 1:27PM

maybe our host should certify trolls. or maybe a troll badge.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2020 5:48PM

@rawteam1 said:
    Yep Bajjer you a certified genius... lol

I already sold em all for more than that so yeah thanks for the compliment. I don't care why people want them; only that they pay me more than I paid for them.

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Sit on your cash

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sit on your cash

Not a bad idea, considering the mayhem in the market right now.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.