Home Precious Metals
Options

What will be the bottom for Gold, Silver and the DJIA?

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the good economic news in the markets today, I couldn't help but think at what value will these markets bottom out at.

So with that in mind, let's have your take on the very lowest these three key indices will bottom out at when all this financial turmoil is finally over.

I'll start things off..................

DJIA 15,500

Gold $1425.00

Silver $13.85

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

depends on when the virus peaks and when the FED bottoms.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

with americans feeling independant and liberty it would seem harder to contain an outbreak.

so no guess from me since this could go on for a lot, lot longer tan it has for china

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I'm talking when the markets finally overcome this (whether or not it takes 2 days or 2 years) what will be the historical LOW for these indices.

Come on, take a guess, be daring.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do prod people into guessing games

gold - 1300
    silver - 14

djia - 15000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2020 8:58AM

I guess we’re about 20 % above the bottom on the Dow, so I’ll guess about 17,000.

I think we’ll reach that pretty quickly, then end the year about where we are now.

People who got out after the first 10 % hit were wise; people who bail over the next few weeks are the usual panic sellers.

With respect to gold, I’m clueless, though I suspect we are already near the bottom.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices tend to collapse to the aggregate cost of production.

Profits will be down for a while

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

djia - .50 cent >:)
    the rest of it who knows

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the office yesterday for a team meeting, we were prepped about raises/bonuses/employment being impacted.

My wag:
    djia - 18500
    gold - 1350
    silver - 14

• Options

And to keep things focused on the positive-with each 10 % decline, we lose less money.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am amazed at what happened to gold and silver prices today.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

And BIT COIN too. Collapsing.

• Options

The markets will recover. Gold and silver will recover. Not so sure about Bitcoin.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had several calls today from the so called would be gold holders, wanting to know how come there gold was losing value as the stock market was tanking, I said because in crisis mode, folks want cash !

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

When will the number of CV cases be higher than the Dow?

• Options

gold is right where it was one month ago.

DJIA is down 28% over the last month.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a silver Eagle trades for a roll of toilet paper, then you know the bottom’s near.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2020 7:40PM

15,000. The economic impact will be tremendous. Imagine: drastic reduction in flights, rental cars, hotels. No college, no school, no baseball, no basketball, no hockey, no NCAA tourney, no Broadway, no Disney, no tourists from Europe, working from home, no real in-person client contact...less eating out, less taxis, all downstream effects... Hysteria, no end game. No cure, nothing will be different in 10 days except it will be worse. Even church is cancelled.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    Imagine: No college, no school,

What about an online degree from Harvard? That is all they are currently offering.

• Options

@RobM said:

@philographer said:
    Imagine: No college, no school,

What about an online degree from Harvard? That is all they are currently offering.

Maybe economists will have to learn in the real world.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be guessing. I plan to just watch and let reality sink in.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the stock market was over bought before it stared going down, it will never fully recover. not sure about silver, not worried about gold, in the end gold will be the last one standing strong

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell with the stock market, as they can suspend trading at will. Let it roam/chips fall where they may to get a real reading of the market.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    When a silver Eagle trades for a roll of toilet paper, then you know the bottom’s near.

Was that PI?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No guesses from me.... I will just sit here and watch....More fun that way. Comfortable, secure, warm and well fed.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give up my day job if I knew.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dropping like a rock again this morning. :'(

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, It is Friday the 13th.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 7:23AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    When a silver Eagle trades for*** two squares ***of toilet paper, then you know the bottom’s near.

Fixed it for you. ;)

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any guess on my part would simply be a WAG... with a storm like what has hit the country and world right now, I would have no basis to make a judgement on.

----- kj
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 2:39PM

Looks like it was...

DJIA 18214 ... now up 29% from low

Gold $1457...now up 19% from low

Silver $11.64...now up 34% from low.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:
    Looks like it was...

DJIA 18214 ... now up 29% from low

Bear rally. stimulus cheer will fade into reality.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot of time left before the year is over. All of the items in question, will be higher by years end over the March 12 figures.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

Define "Finally Over"

• Options

@WWW said:
    Define "Finally Over"

What will be the 'lows' for these groups when the markets have recovered and their prices are much higher.

Put another way, in 5 years when we look back and say 'we should have bought then' what will these lows be?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@WWW said:
    Define "Finally Over"

Put another way, in 5 years when we look back and say 'we should have bought then' what will these lows be?

Very possibly this...

DJIA 18214

Gold $1457

Silver $11.64.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@WWW said:
    Define "Finally Over"

Very possibly this...

DJIA 18214

Gold $1457

Silver $11.64.

+1

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    I had several calls today from the so called would be gold holders, wanting to know how come there gold was losing value as the stock market was tanking, I said because in crisis mode, folks want cash !

Folks in paper gold products wanted their cash back. I doubt there was much physical gold trading hands as premiums started to sky rocket....to the point the London Bullion Market wouldn't even honor gold future's contract for actual delivery. All to do about nothing.....as gold recovered to previous pre-crash highs in just 9 days.

People don't know what they want in crash mode....other than to stop feeling the pain of seeing their accounts shrink. Though that is too often soon replaced by the pain of seeing markets recover while they're out.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 11:31PM

@Higashiyama said:
    The markets will recover. Gold and silver will recover. Not so sure about Bitcoin.

Really? Because a historic event is right about to happen again ("The Halvening"), during which many believe it'll skyrocket.

I've been using it for my business for 18 months. MyCelium wallet no big deal, a few private sales here and there. I knew I couldn't get too emotionally invested in it, so this is the perfect way to sideline and just accumulate. Casual observer has really helped me remain balanced about my outlook on their market.

I started running specials when btc was down and siphoned up coins and paid my contractors in BTC when it was up. Essentially, bitcoin paid my contractors to work last year, and I'm even more ahead than before. It's all free to me and I can't spend it so let it pile and use it to exchange other resources.

It only really sucks if you let it suck, or I guess if you don't know what you're doing, or if you're utilizing it for the wrong application. Just like gold, cash.. I mean, I'll casually let it grow but I won't invest USD or Au/Ag into it. But having an amazon balance, bitcoin, cash and gold sure feels a lot better than having a BoA checking account. Realistically, having been watching closely the past 90 days, it's remarkably resilient. And I'm happy to keep all my coins there and have had plenty of chances to cash out or swap for gold.

• Options

DJIA will dip below 10K

bottoms won't matter with gold and silver, the new highs will make the bottoms a long lost memory to those that didn't take advantage of them.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

All 3 have seen their lows for 2020. I think gold is the best of the 3 from current levels.
    Silver has no catalyst. Has been the case since the demise of Kodak.
    Massive Fed action works best for Dow Jones Industrials, but there is a general over optimism about the recovery.

Copper might be better than all 3.

• Options

After watching crude oil prices plummet, all of my thoughts on gold, silver, and the stock market are out the window. I believe all asset classes are in for a wild ride. Buckle up ladies and gentlemen.

I am still clinging to the "hold the physical" mindset to weather the storm.

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said before and will say again, when you play these markets you are playing chicken with Billionaires, in the case of gold Trillionaires (govts). You pays your money and you takes your chances. In the oil markets, even the billionaires got hammered. Also remember that you are playing a very complex game against someone who can change the rules whenever they want. Think about people who were shorting junk bonds a few weeks ago, when for the first time in history, the Fed stepped in and bought them. Oops.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

The 1-2 year bottom for PMs was seen in the last three weeks. Bull market beginning.

• Options

I'm believer in ignoring the extreme views from both sides. As such, I've been unloading silver at unbelievable premiums above spot (30-50%)...Who knows how long it will last. :)