Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wood Grain Lincoln does it affect the grade?

JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

First post in the group, hope to get some information on wood grain Lincoln cents. I’m a big fan of Wood Grain Lincoln’s myself and understand how the coin was minted that way. My question is does it affect the grade of the coin? I called PCGS customer service and the guy really didn’t understand wood grain and said he would forward my info and coin Cert# in question to the graders.

My coin in question is my 1909s VDB. I’ve showed it to a couple dealers and they also agree the grade is low for the details in the coin. What are your thoughts please?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the grade on your coin so I guess the answer is NO. Color streaks affect the eye appeal but eye appeal is not paramont with circulated coins.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the wood grain look can have either a positive or negative effect on the eye appeal part of the grade.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Yes the wood grain look can have either a positive or negative effect on the eye appeal part of the grade.

I’m not sure that I agree with the positive eye-appeal part. But either way, I doubt that it affects the grade of circulated coins like the one posted in this thread.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jmis....Welcome aboard. There is a segment of collectors here that like the wood grain Lincolns, so you will get a few comments from those who collect them. On circulated coins, IMO, it seems to detract from the appearance, however, I am not a collector of this type coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@coinbuf said:

I’m not sure that I agree with the positive eye-appeal part. But either way, I doubt that it affects the grade of circulated coins like the one posted in this thread.

There are fewer that would be considered positive eye appeal than negative but I have seen a few that I would consider so, of course eye appeal is a highly subjective aspect so its quite possible that you have not seen any that you would consider as a positive. Woodies seem to fall into the you like it or you don't category most of the time anyway, and I would agree that its much less an issue with circulated coins than mint state.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about the grade, but it sure impacts the price.

I collect MS woodgrain Lincolns, and I usually have to pay up for the nice ones. $$$

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    Not sure about the grade, but it sure impacts the price.

I collect MS woodgrain Lincolns, and I usually have to pay up for the nice ones. $$$

Dave

I’ve always seen a premium myself or at least emphasized wood grain.

• Options

Great looking coin!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the OP case...it does not help.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin is just plain ugly. It is a coin I would decline to purchase. The details are better than VF 25 but that fact can't save it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Like any coin be it silver, copper
    or gold , eye appeal is taken into account when grading and more so when pricing.
    I have collected Lincoln Cents
    for longer than almost anybody.
    The coin posted by the op is technically XF 40 or better but
    no offense it is butt ugly .
    My advice is to sell it and look for an attractive mint state 1909s VDB
    Woody in the ms 64R/B grade .

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like wood grain toning usually but I am not a fan of the OP's coin.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me wood grain is like adjustment marks on early U.S. silver and gold coins. Since it is part of mint process, it does not affect the grade, but it will affect my decision to buy the coin, frequently in the negative direction.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a RD wood grain cent, or does it only show up after its toned a bit? Just wondering what they looked like right off the press.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020 6:21PM

IMHOP wood graining gives a coin character, but too much adversely affects it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the price is right ... I'd take it.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wood grain does detract and the graders are tough on them. I try to avoid collecting them but somedays I can't resist.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020 12:27PM
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally like the character of an attractive, eye appealing Woodie. My only suggestion. for future collecting, is to focus on eye appeal and not get crazy with the contrasting look. As you can see by the posts, people either like them or are turned off by them.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

^Couldn't afford this if it was San Francisco-made, but the woodgrain effect was one of the reasons I was drawn to this example.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020 1:18PM

@291fifth said:
    The OP coin is just plain ugly. It is a coin I would decline to purchase. The details are better than VF 25 but that fact can't save it.

My comment will probably go over like a lead balloon but this probably was too strong of a reaction to a new person posting on the site. Education to prompt feedback and discussion would have been the better route imho. :)

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

Been waiting for this thread to degrade into random pics.

• Options

@chesterb said:
    I personally like the character of an attractive, eye appealing Woodie. My only suggestion. for future collecting, is to focus on eye appeal and not get crazy with the contrasting look. As you can see by the posts, people either like them or are turned off by them.

The faster they learn the less money they lose.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@chesterb said:

@291fifth said:

My comment will probably go over like a lead balloon but this probably was too strong of a reaction to a new person posting on the site. Education to prompt feedback and discussion would have been the better route imho. :)

@chesterb said:

@291fifth said:

Thank you, I actually thought it was a bit harsh myself.

• Options

@291fifth said:

@chesterb said:

What am I learning? I bought the coin because I like it. I asked if wood grain affects the grade. Never did I ask the forum if they like my coin.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and all the other Woodies posted as well. :) Don't know how it affects grade or price and don't really care one way or another. If I like the coin that is all that matters to me. :)B)

• Options

@Jmis said:

@291fifth said:

@chesterb said:

What am I learning? I bought the coin because I like it. I asked if wood grain affects the grade. Never did I ask the forum if they like my coin.

Enjoy your coin.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file