Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Encased Cent Graded!

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had this a few years. I bought it because of the cool rabbit on it. >:)

It turned out to be kinda scarce. I think it looks good in the holder:

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 3:38PM

Fantastic!

I didn't know they slabbed these. I have a 1901 Indian cent in a horseshoe-shaped Pan Pac frame. I wonder if they could slab that. If they can I think I'll do it.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much did that cost?
    Nothing negative just curious!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    edited March 3, 2020 5:55PM

@PTVETTER said:
    How much did that cost?
    Nothing negative just curious!

My friend sent it with a submission of his stuff. It was around $30

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is super cool!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought ALL the major services slabbed these. I've got one in another service slab.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting! I don't recall seeing a slabbed encased coin before. Is this something new or am I just behind the times?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@Strikeguy said:
    That is very cool. I like as a side collection the encased coins. Here are a few of mine. I have roughly 200 different. Most naturally are with cents.

Those are super cool! 👍

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Interesting! I don't recall seeing a slabbed encased coin before. Is this something new or am I just behind the times?

I’m not sure either to be honest.

• Options

@291fifth said:

Behind the times. A TPGS in TN slabbed a few in the 90's. Another service has slabbed one a year from 2010-14 and mine in 2020. I expect there is very little demand from the public.

@Strikeguy said: "I like as a side collection the encased coins. Here are a few of mine. I have roughly 200 different."

That's quite a collection. I suggest if you ever have them slabbed you don't use the $35 option! That's a rip-off and I suspect that's why few of these are sent in. Even $10 would be too much as these things rarely cost much unless connected to an Expo or something similar.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my encased Liberty Nickel in an NGC holder. I do wish PCGS would do all of the exonumia that NGC does.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Is the grade for the coin or the holder or an overall grade for both??

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I thought ALL the major services slabbed these. I've got one in another service slab.

I've mostly only seen ones from the expos in NGC holders. I've seen a modern ANA encased coin in an ANACS holder. I haven't seen any from PCGS or ICG yet.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome! I don't collect these myself but couldn't pass up one a few years ago, because it was an encased 1922-D cent!

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall at least one encased piece in a FTGS holder long before any of the other services began slabbing exonumia.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool piece. and kudos to the other service for slabbing it

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone has seen a PCGS certified encased coin, please post it here. I'd love to see one!

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

That's pretty cool asheland and a nice grade on that too! I have never even thought about those being graded as I have seen them a few times in person and in some of the pictures that Charmy ThePennyLady has put into her reports but never seen any graded before. That's awesome and looks nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting... have not seen a slabbed, encased coin before....I believe the grade is only for the cent. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 8:15AM

@Icollecteverything said:
    Is the grade for the coin or the holder or an overall grade for both??

That’s one I’ve wondered, too. No idea myself. I assume it’s a combination of both?

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 11:05AM

@ricko said:
    That is interesting... have not seen a slabbed, encased coin before....I believe the grade is only for the cent. Cheers, RickO

AFAIK and the way I have always done it, the condition of the encasement and its rarity is more important than the condition of the coin. That's what sets the value. A rare coin in an encasement would be a "white elephant." Encased postage is a little different because the rarity of the item depends on the stamp and the condition of the encasement.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 ....Thank you for the clarification...My guess was the opposite...I am too coincentric... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

And lets not forget that many/most encased coins suffer some degree of damage from being encased, so I guess the condition necessarily focuses on the whole package.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    I have my encased Liberty Nickel in an NGC holder. I do wish PCGS would do all of the exonumia that NGC does.

Indeed. Some of the "coins" that are made by or on behalf of assorted world mints are arguably farther out on the exonumia scale than encased coins.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

graded encased coin is new to me. it actually looks pretty good

• Options

Thanks everybody. I figured this was worth having certified. 👍

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing! I love "exonumia" like this... although technically, there's a coin involved too!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2020 5:36PM

Pretty cool!! Didn't even know these things were worth anything. Lol Now where's that trash I just threw out. Lol

• Options

Nice one.

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2021 4:36AM

I really wanted this one, but, $650 was too rich for my blood.

• Options

@bdperdue404 said:
    AFAIK only NGC slabs exonumia and there are not many slabbed encased coins. I recently recommended to a dealer that he have the 1908 Kolb Teddy Bear that he has in a case slabbed. The cent was a fully red blazer. The teddy bear encased are rare, although the Kolb is more common. Roughly 20 or so sold on eBay over a couple of year period. As I heard the Great Grandson of the Kolb family inherited a bunch of these and sold them on eBay. I have a number of Teddy Bear encased and due to the rarity I am going to have them graded and slabbed.

For more information on Teddy Bear encased see: encasedcoins.info/

Bruce encasedcoins.info/

That’s really cool!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned another few things today.
    I never knew that "encased" coins can be slabbed and when so, the grade is for the "encasement" and not the coin.
    Live and learn.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one from a different company

• Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Picker1954 said:

$650 was only the hammer. You’re forgetting about the 25% BP, $19 S/H, and sales tax — out the door the winning bidder paid $831.50 + tax — around $900! :o

I was in the hunt for this one too but ultimately it was too rich for me as well … although these are seldom encountered and it’ll probably be awhile before you see another.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Fantastic!

I didn't know they slabbed these. I have a 1901 Indian cent in a horseshoe-shaped Pan Pac frame. I wonder if they could slab that. If they can I think I'll do it.

They slab crickets, don't they?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file