Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Commemorative Themes - Classics vs. Moderns

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

The themes selected for classics and moderns were/are selected under very different criteria and, accordingly, turn out to have different subject matter.

Do you prefer the classic way of selecting themes, or the modern way? Or something else?

Commemorative Themes - Classics vs. Moderns

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a 3rd side! Please explain

Some of us just love coins period. Modern or classic.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classics all the way!

Most modern designs are just plain terrible.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classics all the way!

classics are my choice. there are some moderns that I picked up along the way because I liked them. fwiw

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic for me.... to much commercialization and political correctness in modern designs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have both, love what I have.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 11:08AM

I like Commemoratives with Major errors ...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The themes selected for classics and moderns were/are selected under very different criteria............................

I think by "themes" you are referring to what is being commemorated and not the design which ends up adorning our coinage, is that correct?? replies like "Most modern designs are just plain terrible" seem to indicate some miss the point of the poll.

can you please clarify that??

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, I like the classics. The moderns seem to say to me......OK,. What shall we commemorate next.

• Options

The moderns seem to say to me......OK,. What shall we commemorate next.

perhaps you are unaware, but that is exactly the kind of thinking that killed the older program after the Washington-Carver Half-Dollar.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

In general I like more classic designs than moderns but find 1992 Columbus halves, 1986 Statue of Liberty, 1999
    Dolly Madison dollars and a few others quite appealing.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get Both!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classics all the way!

I admit that I am biased toward older coins. A few of the moderns are ok, and a few of the classics are poor. I do like the 92 Columbus Half Eagle, so much that I bought a proof.

• Options
    AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

I own a few of both. I'll probably complete the classic series (minus the two $50 coins unless I stop buying for years to save up). I'll never complete the modern series, but there are a few I like and still need to buy (recently I've been looking for the 2014 Baseball HoF coins at a good price).

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither the classical nor modern commemorative coins are paragons of virtue when it comes to events commemorated. Some of the classic commemoratives, like the Albany, Hudson and New Rochelle half dollars should never have been national commemorative coins. They should have been local town medals. Back in the 30’s New York state had a large and powerful Congressional delegation. They got the legislation passed for the coins. In fairness, other places, like York, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Columbia, South Carolina, Lynchburg, Virginia, and York, Maine should have town medals too.

The modern topics are not a lot better. Olympic coins should not be issued when the U.S. is the host country. One can also question why some charities get special support from Congress. The Kennedy family has gotten more than its share of commemorative coins. The reason why the modern commemorative programs have not done well for the buyers and, on occasion, the charity is that there are simply too many programs. I used to keep up them, but I got “collector fatigue” a few years ago and stopped buying.

The only good thing for me financially has been the price of gold which has bailed me out of most the modern gold commemorative coins I own. B)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

so Bill, just so I have this right, you don't consider the Albany Charter as being significant?? and just to be right-er, the Half-Dollar actually commemorates that Charter and not the City.

I would never argue that some of the Classic Commemorations were rather vague, but I don't think Albany is one of them.

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Both eras have had their excesses. I think the modern program's stronger oversight is a benefit overall. Can you imagine if we still had zombie programs minted year after year, or intentional varieties (stars, 2x4s, etc.), all distributed by private organizations of variable character for their own profit? I think we'd see a lot more Cincinnati Center of Music-type programs than Apollo XIs.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options

+1, Amen, well said!!! :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both!

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moderns are where it's at!

Both series have an issue for those wanting to collect every coin— coins that have zero interest to the collector but you need it to complete the set.

I just had to buy a PCGS MS70 FS Breast Cancer 50c... for $300. I could have gotten a nice Oregon for that money.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2020 5:20AM

The 1991 Korean war $1 commem is the 38th anniversary of the Korean war.

38th anniversary = 38th parallel. LOL B)

Also has the Ying Yang symbol on it. B)

• Options
    edited March 1, 2020 5:28AM

1992 columbus commem. . ..reads: Discoverer of America :|

2000 Leif Ericson commem...reads Discoverer of America :|

• Options

The 1993 madison $5 Gold...James madison's arm on the obverse is like 3 feet long. :|

• Options
    edited March 1, 2020 6:29AM

First US coin to have Brail. 1996 paraOlympic games Blind Runner silver dollar......very impressive. No excuse not to run or at least walk everyday.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

The classics are better in that they had more latitude for design and relief. However the themes overall were kind of boring with some notable exceptions. I’d prefer the styling latitude of the older classics with newer themes. Imagine if some of the national park quarters were done in half dollar sizes with design and relief details of the San Diego or Texas commem? That would be cool.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like some classics and some moderns, but not all of them. I think the best advice I've heard is collect what you like or what you can.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I like Commemoratives with Major errors ...

I love this one, it looks like lightening in a stormy sky!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file