Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone explain the premium for 70 grade coins?

HJPHJP Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

When modern coins with large mintages are graded - why do we pay a premium for a 70 grade?

The 15 seconds or so spent in actually grading a coin, used to add a lot of "sales premium", not so much any more.

So, are the dynamics that drive the "price premium" for a 70 grade sustainable?

Bigger fool theory?

Comments

• Options
    AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

It's for the registry. 70 is a permanent Top Pop.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 1:56PM

It is a market thing similar to someone paying a 65 pct premium on a coin because it has a sticker.

It’s a function of finding buyer who will pay that. Sustainable - not really if pops of that material increase. Additionally if unfavorable toning develops from reaction with atmosphere over time that item kaput from premium. Additionally buyers who will pay the high premium will resist buying / the material may need to be discounted to move.

I would not call the buyers bigger fools but someone demanding that level of quality plus pay the money may be tough to find so in that trajectory the original buyer is the end user.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 2:22PM

Nope. I can’t. It’s immensely liberating to just collect coins you like....... so I hear. :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanLastufka said:
    It's for the registry. 70 is a permanent Top Pop.

If the 70 point grading scale isn’t abandoned.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 2:49PM

I have bought numerous 70 coins in auctions. Usually they weren’t much money above a 69. Perhaps I am the end user lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

People, collectors in particular, tend to want the 'best'...for pride in ownership and bragging rights...So, when the 'best' of something is offered for sale, the testosterone rages and premiums are realized..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of it is population at 70 vs 69. Just like when 65 prices are many multiples of 64 prices, etc. Hence the crack put game for a number of coins.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 is for people who are slaves to the registry... :p

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's to Honor Dr. Sheldon.
    Paying more for a number is sure to stick in the memory of those who do.

I'm still looking for a 70 with a gold sticker.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    70 is for people who are slaves to the registry... :p

so keep me in chains lol :D I love the MS and PR70 coins. Yes I do registry sets and pay the additional cost for the right coin(s). My ASE set is all PR69 DCAM coins. I have never wanted nor do I want a PR70 coin for this set but my Kennedy sets I strive to have the coins in their highest grade. Why? It is a challenge to do so after the set is 100% complete. It is a lot of fun for me to keep searching for these coins at the right price. So if anybody doesn't want their 70's... :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2020 9:04AM

It's due to the desire for top pops, which affects all coins.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

EASY:

stupid money

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file