Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Complete this sentence: I remember when I was a kid...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 27, 2020 5:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

...I used to get Hawaiian coins in my change; and I lived in MA.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

...we used to get bags of change from the parking meters to look for coins to fill our Whitman albums.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 4:41AM

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got and spent Ike dollars. Now I just save them whenever I can get my paws on them

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could find WL halves in circulation; chop marked trade dollars were all considered to be culls and a mercury dime was not graded "Fine" unless all the vertical lines in the fasces were present.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grader's what is a coin grader??

Ken
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

... wait I’m still a kid :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A chunk of bubble gum cost a penny and finding a 5 dollar bill on the ground was like winning the lottery.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a couple coin shops in every town and you actually handled coins, not plastic.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local shop sold silver coins for 2.5X face value.

Larry

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use to go through rolls and rolls of pennies with my Dad

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local coin shop owner went to jail for fraud

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could just find a 50-D Nickel I'll be rich.... :#

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lifesavers were a nickel a roll, comics had just gone up from ten to twelve cents each, and wheat pennies were everywhere.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember getting Morgan and Peace dollars occasionally in change and you could get them from the bank for face value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

........................and my Mom used to send me to the store with a note for cigarettes(65 cents a pack). :p

• Options

The Hunt Brothers were trying to corner the silver market and my mom sold a bunch of junk silver she inherited to help us through some bad financial times.

• Options
    edited February 27, 2020 6:05AM

You could buy $20 Saints and Libs for $35 - $50... :o

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to my first coin show (around age 7) and my Uncle buying me a 1880-S Morgan in VG for $1.25, but I really wanted the $20 Liberty that were selling for $45-50

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@keets said:
    ........................and my Mom used to send me to the store with a note for cigarettes(65 cents a pack). :p

You must be a lot younger than me, Al. I remember 23¢ per pack cigarettes.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

...... wait, no I don’t.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at dates on money.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    You could buy $20 Saints and Libs for $35 - $50... :o

I remember buying my first BU Saint $20 for $47 in 1966. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Looking at dates on money.

If you are a coin collector, you should probably still be doing that... B)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 7:25AM

I don't know how many cows dad had to milk but once a month we would go to town, dad would give my brother and I $1.00 each. We would spend it at the local drug store for a hamburger, fries, coke and a comic book. Of course the coke was a fountain drink. :D

Ken
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting franklin halfs in change. I miss them days

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

It brings back so many memories when I think of the past.

Paraphrasing Steven Wright

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never checked bands on our dimes.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received silver coins as tips on my paper route.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plugging a hole was more important than condition!

• Options

How excited I was when I was 15 working at a convenient store and the cashier had 5 40% JFKs and I got them for face value after calling my mom to bring me $2.50 to swap them out. That was in the later 1980s so it was very exciting.

• Options
    WDHWDH Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

The local coin shop was setup in a dry cleaners. I still remember the smell.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 8:35AM

I couldn't eat anything I wanted; any time I wanted to. Oh, and coins were very cheap.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were no third-party graders, so you had to be careful, when buying BU coins, as to make sure that they weren’t polished, AU sliders!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey Bob, my memory might be faulty on the price but I also remember gas at about 28 cents/gallon.

• Options

@keets said:
    hey Bob, my memory might be faulty on the price but I also remember gas at about 28 cents/gallon.

Speedway on Chelmsford Street in my hometown; 15.9¢ per gallon...ahhhh good times. I could fill my Road Runner for less than $5 when it was bone dry.

• Options

@Outhaul said:
    Looking at the coins in the moving display case in W.T. Grants department store. I remember you pushed the button on the top and the shelves inside moved like a Ferris wheel.

My local coin shop still uses those.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were 48 States, Eisenhower was president and Silver coins in change.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

... when 54 was OLD

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

We used to ride in the back of the truck and coins were for skipping across the pond or pitching to the wall.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1964 Kingsport, TN gas was 21 cents/gallon(gas wars every weekend), cigarettes in a machine were a quarter with 3 cents taped to each pack and all the matchbooks you would ever need lying in the bottom of the machine and on the ground. I had a 1963 Morris Minor that got 48mpg. Johnny and I would fill it up(7 gallons) buy each of us a pack of cigarettes and a pop all for under $2 which we had just received for soda bottles we scavenged from along side the road at the football field and drive all weekend when not working. Friday night game, Saturday morning collection. Only one coin shop in town, went there every Saturday. Lady who ran it seemed to be a witch, but 30 years later she was a good friend. Thanks for the memories.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    We used to ride in the back of the truck and coins were for skipping across the pond or pitching to the wall.

The BACK? We used to ride on the TAILGATE!

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I could find SLQ’s in the cash register of the drug store where I worked.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to go to the corner store and buy cigarettes' (Camels unfiltered) and the Italian newspaper (Il Progresso) for my dad and I would get to keep the change (as long as I handed back to him first).

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

Dan Duncan and Walter Magnus would pay me $1 to get them coffee from the concession stand at major shows.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file