Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Get Ready...The "Omega" saga is soon to be a "thing" again.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a call out of the blue two minutes ago from a young man researching the source of these coins after seeing my interview in "Secrets of the US Mint" on the TV . After picking my brain about how I discovered these were C/F's, he told me he believes he has discovered the person (now dead) who made the "Omega" fakes. Apparently, he has a presence on the Internet (not on CU) and is about to post more info. I was not paying enough attention to remember his web page but when the additional info is published on line he is going to send me a link.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm! Hope his research is good.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

was his last name Corleone?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an 1882 $3 that is suspect.
    Going to get from sdb and image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-f8_6hG7H0

I wonder why he put the omega on the coin?

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t wait!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember reading up some on Omega 20 years ago. It’s fascinating in a way. Hopefully some real info has been uncovered.

• Options

I went on the internet to try to track down the person who called me and what he has posted so far. I found this but I don't think this is the person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTt-9Ichk0w&feature=emb_rel_pause

As usual on the internet there is a lot of misinformation. For example, so far ONLY 2 coins have been found with an "Omega" symbol: however, around that time period there were other fake gold coins seen with "wormy tool marks." You'll read on the net that other $10 had a mark in the "R" of "Liberty." LOL, that's because the depression in the "R" on these coin resulted from the hub and virtually all $10 Indians have it!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a tease.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so it begins

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to hear what you have found. Be ready to be challenged.

• Options

We're (almost) all gonna need tight pants when this gets going. :*

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to know if the new story in any way matches the "older" story told here?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

So I’m only slightly familiar with your guys’ “old story” but is this the Arizona mafia story? Because if it is, it isn’t so impossible. Although, where that poster made claims to know people through people, I’m only 36 years old. I know nobody and most of the people involved would be dead today.

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

@Spegtacular said:
    I’m the mysterious phone call Skip :)

and hello everyone. I’m Spegtacular and I run a YouTube channel where I try hard to promote our amazing hobby and make it better...that’s the goal anyways.

I have some thoughts on who the “Omega Man” was and am currently putting together all of my research. I fear that I’m bound by my inability to travel the country AND the fact that my person of interest has been dead for over twenty years doesn’t help... oh and going back in time is still impossible for now!

I do work full-time and also I’m a full-time father/husband so my time is limited. That said, I’m trying hard to put my findings out as quickly as possible. A hint to my thoughts is: I don’t believe the symbol is an “Omega” symbol one bit. The counterfeiter personally signed some coins for us.

I’ll post again here when I show my work.. no longer than a week or two I hope. The more information that I find keeps putting me further and further back.

Hey Spegtacular!!
    I have watched many of your videos on you tube in the past, I am excited to see what you come up with!

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old story is going to be tough to top. From Growing up in San Jose almost across the street from the Bonannos, nothing would surprise me.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Where is the popcorn icon???

That was the "Old Board"...

We do need a new one though...👀

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

The icon, featuring a giraffe eating popcorn, is better.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2020 7:12PM

@Dscoin said: "Hey Spegtacular!! I have watched many of your videos on you tube in the past, I am excited to see what you come up with!"

Many of us are. How about a link to his video site?

PS Guys, Let's keep an open mind. The poster came across as very sincere over the phone. Perhaps the new info will get TTTT back on CU.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fascinated by the stories. I love the other one such much I went out and found one for my collection! Looking forward to hearing your theories.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Dscoin said: "Hey Spegtacular!! I have watched many of your videos on you tube in the past, I am excited to see what you come up with!"

Many of us are. How about a link to his video site?

PS Guys, Let's keep an open mind. The poster came across as very sincere over the phone. Perhaps the new info will get TTTT back on CU.

Go to youtube.com and do a search on "spegtacular". There's a Subscribe button in the results if you're interested.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    I want to know if the new story in any way matches the "older" story told here?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Sometimes I believe that trying to document this stuff doesn't get better, but throws more mud on everything.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geraldo's been dead for 20 years?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spegtacular....Welcome aboard .... I look forward to seeing what you have found and hearing your theory....I have followed the previous thread(s) here a couple years ago (have them filed on my computer for future reference)...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Respect.

• Options

I'm hoping this will be better than the last few installments of NCIS

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

My old Drill Sergeant once told me: "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

That's not a giraffe. No horns.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Thats a big eared giraffe! B)

Ken
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Let me throw a little light on the subject:

Nice Italian Lamp

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Let me throw a little light on the subject:

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Da suspense is killin me! Is this gonna be like the Hitler manuscripts? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Spegtacular....Welcome aboard .... I look forward to seeing what you have found and hearing your theory....I have followed the previous thread(s) here a couple years ago (have them filed on my computer for future reference)...Cheers, RickO

Or he could just make things up. That seems to go over well here

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

The previous omega man thread was incredibly entertaining. It was like watching a skilled con-man working a mark. Based on sheer entertainment value, it will be tough to beat. Proposing a theory that seems equally plausible is an easier goal.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    My old Drill Sergeant once told me: "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."

Not a vet. (sry)
    And thank you for your service.
    A giraffe. ?
    "Oh the humanity."

• Options

@Davideo said:
    like watching a skilled con-man working a mark.

idk about 'skilled' but found it telling that (forgot his name, the bonanno lawyer's kid) posted silly musings on the zodiac killer sometime prior. as not much audience there, turned to omegaman fictions. zodiac was aka omega in circles, some mixup with the watch or cryptography or whetev

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an exciting topic this is. This guy made thee most beautiful counterfeit coins of all times.
    Yes, what story👌👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

So originally I was going to post a video about this but it may be easier to simply write some stuff here. Does anyone personally have one of these coins that can send me some really good photos of the Omega symbol? I’m asking for new photos beyond what is found on the internet. Also, to clarify, is the symbol on the double eagle in two different spots? Sometimes in the R and sometimes in the Eagles talon? Or does it only ever appear in the talon?

Thanks!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spegtacular said:
    So originally I was going to post a video about this but it may be easier to simply write some stuff here. Does anyone personally have one of these coins that can send me some really good photos of the Omega symbol? I’m asking for new photos beyond what is found on the internet. Also, to clarify, is the symbol on the double eagle in two different spots? Sometimes in the R and sometimes in the Eagles talon? Or does it only ever appear in the talon?

Thanks!

The omega is in the talons on the High Relief Saint counterfeit.
    The omega is in the loop of the R in LIBERTY on the 1882 counterfeit $3.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spegtacular said:

Thanks!

I posted a decent picture of the omega on the double eagle earlier in this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file