Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I wonder if anything cool is happening in the Chopmark world these days?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 24, 2020 12:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

;)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a Reddit post that the latest issue of chopmarked news is available but no URL

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Saw a Reddit post that the latest issue of chopmarked news is available but no URL

You have to be a subscriber to get the newsletter. It’s very easy to do, either submit a picture of a chopped coin, submit content like an article, or pay $10 / year.

• Options

For those of you who aren’t subscribers to the newsletter, this coin was featured on the cover:

Quite exciting indeed.

• Options

Indeed!
    Thus the winky face in post 1 Original D!

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2020 1:51PM

This one is not exactly a "cover girl."

Or, is this what's known as "hammered silver?"

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    For those of you who aren’t subscribers to the newsletter, this coin was featured on the cover:

Quite exciting indeed.

Statistically, this coin shouldn't exist. The 1859-S is known to have been exported to a fairly large degree relative to its tiny mintage (part of the reason for that mintage was a petition from US merchants to have a trade coin they didn't have to pay a premium to obtain, as they did with Mexican silver), but only a handful of other dates in the Seated Dollar series are known with chops, of which this is the sole known CC.

• Options

@Outhaul said:
    This one is not exactly a "cover girl."

Or, is this what's known as "hammered silver?"

Neat coin. Can you make out the date, or is it totally gone? Based on the mintmark, looks to be 73 or 74. Of those two dates, 74 is much more likely to be found with chops.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a 74...

• Options

It was my hope to lure this one out, simply because I can no longer zoom into pics on IG lately..🤪
    So, what's curious to me is where in the heck has this been hiding??
    Was it in an old collection or has it recently surfaced out if the wild?

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

U.S half dollars, quarters, dimes
    and half dimes also went to China.

• Options

@jayPem said:
    It was my hope to lure this one out, simply because I can no longer zoom into pics on IG lately..🤪
    So, what's curious to me is where in the heck has this been hiding??
    Was it in an old collection or has it recently surfaced out if the wild?

I wish I knew! Of all places, it surfaced on.....Facebook. Not kidding.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@OriginalDan said:

Quite exciting indeed.

Statistically, this coin shouldn't exist. The 1859-S is known to have been exported to a fairly large degree relative to its tiny mintage (part of the reason for that mintage was a petition from US merchants to have a trade coin they didn't have to pay a premium to obtain, as they did with Mexican silver), but only a handful of other dates in the Seated Dollar series are known with chops, of which this is the sole known CC.

Bags and bags of CC dollars were exported to the FarEast. While not shipped in bulk it isn’t crazy to think a common (comparatively) 70cc slipped into a bag or was swapped out for an early trade dollar before the values spread between the two

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@BStrauss3 said:

You have to be a subscriber to get the newsletter. It’s very easy to do, either submit a picture of a chopped coin, submit content like an article, or pay $10 / year.

Do you have a link to how to become a subscriber? I frequent another site and the question of chopmark resources came up. It would be nice to direct that dude/dudette on how to sign up for the newsletter.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the chopmarked Trade Dollars...I have looked for a chop tool for a long time... they just never seem to be available... would like to get one to match a chop mark on a coin...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hi @Stork, that’s great. From the newsletter:

Note, that’s an image so you can’t click the email link. Just email Colin using that address and he’ll fill anyone in on how to subscribe. It’s really easy.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 6:38AM

@ricko said:
    I like the chopmarked Trade Dollars...I have looked for a chop tool for a long time... they just never seem to be available... would like to get one to match a chop mark on a coin...Cheers, RickO

As far as I’ve heard, no chopmarkimg punches are known which is really surprising given how many different characters and symbols are known. You’d think at least a few would have survived. My theory is they were outlawed, required by law to be destroyed.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan....I have heard that also.... just makes no sense that none have entered the market... or found at shops in China....just seems strange that all those tools (and there must have been thousands) just vanished....Maybe all kept as family heirlooms....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan Thanks! That was the same POC I'd had from a few years ago, didn't know it was still active. I will pass that info on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file