Home U.S. Coin Forum

TrueView vs. JimView

labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting just for fun, but I am interested in how I can improve my photo skills. Below is the TrueView and my images taken, in the holder, prior to having the TrueView made. I think the TrueView is more accurate.

Thoughts?

Thanks, and cheers...

TrueView

JimView

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I like yours better.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 6:17PM

Both look good to me!!

Only thing I'd do to yours is crop and give them a nice background.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me they look pretty dang close! Great job and NICE coin!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both sets of images are superb, IMO. Yours are slightly brighter and highlight the green toning a bit more. I'd be pretty happy with yours if I'd taken 'em.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice photos.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 6:29PM

Very nice!

White balance looks good, lighting is even, coin is in focus and square to the camera, toning and color are believable, contrast and exposure feel correct. All the important elements are right.

Presentation...maybe circle-crop it and choose a background. Are those stress lines in the gasket (obverse, 7k) or slab scratches that should be polished away?

Nice work.
    Lance.

This is one of those situations where I wish we could click on the image to enlarge it.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    This is one of those situations where I wish we could click on the image to enlarge it.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, just right click the image and select "open in new tab". It literally takes 3 seconds.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Very nice!

White balance looks good, lighting is even, coin is in focus and square to the camera, toning and color are believable, contrast and exposure feel correct. All the important elements are right.

Presentation...maybe circle-crop it and choose a background. Are those stress lines in the gasket (obverse, 7k) or slab scratches that should be polished away?

Nice work.
    Lance.

Stress lines from what I can tell. I gave up Photoshop, so I can't do the Circle-Crop as I have before...got to find another way. Thanks for the comments!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Thanks all for the comments... :)

@CoinJunkie said:

@ms70 said:

As has been pointed out elsewhere, just right click the image and select "open in new tab". It literally takes 3 seconds.

I know that, but that's too much work! I want it NOW! :D

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is how I look at it.

There are some very good photographers on the forum.

PCGS has excellent photographer(s).

A great individual photographer has a lot more time to image their own coins than a staff photographer.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 8:57PM

By and large the guys at PCGS do a pretty darn nice job, especially considering the volume they go through. They might "glamour" it up a bit much for my liking, but they're consistent, and that's enormously valuable in comparing coins. As for the OP's photos, they're fine (edited to clarify. Fine = I like it a lot!). I like to show luster bands a little more than having everything evenly illuminated, but that's just a style and preference thing.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like yours better than the TrueView, and your photos are through the slab. We would all appreciate description of your camera, lens, and settings. Your lighting set up is also to be favorably noted.

Please send us some more of your photos.

OINK

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one pretty Roosie!

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

JimView looks pretty good to me,,,,,, wish I good to that good of a job,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

The blue in your photo's really leap out.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing color.

Vplite99
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:

I gave up Photoshop, so I can't do the Circle-Crop as I have before...got to find another way. Thanks for the comments!!!

You can get an app on your phone to circle crop.
    I use "circle cutter," and it is free.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as good if not better.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rate those pictures equal... the only major difference being the magnification of the second set. Your pictures are excellent. Cheers, RickO

@BryceM said:
    By and large the guys at PCGS do a pretty darn nice job, especially considering the volume they go through. They might "glamour" it up a bit much for my liking, but they're consistent, and that's enormously valuable in comparing coins. As for the OP's photos, they're fine (edited to clarify. Fine = I like it a lot!). I like to show luster bands a little more than having everything evenly illuminated, but that's just a style and preference thing.

I've never had a bad image from the PCGS folks, they've always been right on. I really appreciate the job they do and their consistent work. There is a lot of value in their imaging!!!

edited February 20, 2020 7:08AM

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I like yours better than the TrueView, and your photos are through the slab. We would all appreciate description of your camera, lens, and settings. Your lighting set up is also to be favorably noted.

Please send us some more of your photos.

OINK

Copy Stand, Nikon D90 w/Sigma EX 105mm DG Macro. Three lights at 12, 3 and 9 o-clock. 60 watt daylight. I use the A - Aperture priority mode, F5.6 and Autofocus.

Thanks to all for the great comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Your photography skills are damn right superb!

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Job!
    Phil better watch out!

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

your photos look great, and the coin is awesome! I personally think the background looks just fine. It is not distracting, and the coin speaks for itself

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    Personally, I like yours better.

I like yours better also.

• CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Excellent job!

F8 would add a little more depth of field and resolution if wanted. B)

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice obverse. Reverse has hot spots on the flame and is underlit in the lower central area. Well done, though.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Here is how I look at it.

There are some very good photographers on the forum.

PCGS has excellent photographer(s).

A great individual photographer has a lot more time to image their own coins than a staff photographer.

Yup. PCGS's advantage is lack of a slab, but mine is extra time.

@Commencents said:

Excellent job!

F8 would add a little more depth of field and resolution if wanted. B)

We'll give it a try, thanks for the input!!!

@messydesk said:
    Nice obverse. Reverse has hot spots on the flame and is underlit in the lower central area. Well done, though.

I'll try adjusting the 3 o-clock lamp to 5 o-clock, thanks. But, how you see what you're seeing is way better then my eye. Maybe my age? :o

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job, nice coin...

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came across this chat

I would be interested to learn the set up and camera used... your photos are nice. Usually I find the trueview to show great detail but the white balance settings do not represent the "Coin in Hand" look which I prefer in the images. Your Trueview seem to capture your coin nicely

While I did not see any slab scratches I wonder how one might polish them out for a photo

Any way ... nice job

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both sets of images are exemplary.

Many happy BST transactions
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

SlimJim's has a slightly yellowish hue compared to the TrueView.

peacockcoins

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 7:42PM

@retirednow said:
    Just came across this chat

While I did not see any slab scratches I wonder how one might polish them out for a photo

>

There are a bunch of threads about this.

Here's one I did quite a while back.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    Posting just for fun, but I am interested in how I can improve my photo skills. Below is the TrueView and my images taken, in the holder, prior to having the TrueView made. I think the TrueView is more accurate.

pretty good images. i will go 7 out of 10. would be 8 but you didn't make your images the same size/orientation of the TV so comparing was more difficult. there aren't many toned roosies i met that i didn't like and yours is no exception!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

>

There are a bunch of threads about this.

Here's one I did quite a while back.

BryceM .... thank you for for the thread ... great info

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file