Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many coin clubs do you belong too?

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walked into an AA meeting tonight while looking for the bi monthly coin club meeting. :o

My first thought was dang.... there are alot of collectors! One guy was even talking about looking thru every box...

Should have called today but I forgot.

Apparently meeting date and time posted on the internet was not accurate.

Got me wondering about visiting coin clubs in neighboring towns.

How many clubs do you guys attend?
Are they worth the effort?
Are they helpful in taking the ANA diploma class?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been a member of the West Chester (Pennsylvania) Coin Club for almost 10 years now. We have about 30 members attend every month but we’ve been struggling with recruiting new members and a younger generation of collectors.

Our club is hosting its annual Coin Show on Sunday March 1st if anyone on here lives in the Philadelphia area.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

None. There isn’t one that I know of in my area. There is a statewide one and a couple others I’ve heard of but nothing I can reasonably go to.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

None. I belong to 5 national numismatic organizations.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

Just the ANA.

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

One local, couple state and a dozen or so national. I find them ALL rewarding.

Cincinnati club hosts ANA diploma classes whenever we have enough interest.

Would love to have anyone in the area visit our club. We have educational presentations at each meeting. Hosting Bob Evans of Central America recovery project later this year.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero clubs and 6 organizations.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two local clubs, five or six national organizations.

Reminds me, I need to finish up my preso for April.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coin clubs in this area... no shops ....no shows....this is a coin wasteland, except for antique shops... and their prices for ordinary coins are ridiculous. I see the same coins, in the same display cases for years.... One would think they would get the message. Cheers, RickO

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I belong to numerous state and national organizations, I don't belong to any local clubs simply because there are none within a 50-mile radius of my home. Now, I've been a guest speaker dozens of times at local club meetings but that's about it.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess we could say this forum is a coin club of sorts. At least it’s how I see it.

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    No coin clubs in this area... no shops ....no shows....this is a coin wasteland, except for antique shops... and their prices for ordinary coins are ridiculous. I see the same coins, in the same display cases for years.... One would think they would get the message. Cheers, RickO

I thought the same thing about coins on eBay I've seen for years. :smile:

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

None. The one i kinda like has to many politics in it. Im not in it for that

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

One local, one regional, and over a dozen national clubs for me.

I've benefited greatly from membership in these clubs and have met many great collectors and Numismatists for over three decades. ANA and LSCC were two of the first ones - joined around 1983-4.

ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, JRCS, LSCC , EAC, TAMS, CWTS, NATCA, CTCC, CSNS, FUN

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two local, three national.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANA. Other than that none.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three agglomerations...I would not call them "clubs".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the closest local coin club is a 3 1/2 hour drive, one way, so I am not a member. I am a member of the ANA, but the only one in the four surrounding counties. As ricko said, this area is coin wasteland. :'(
    Member: ANA, LSCC, CAC

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 6:11PM

0 :'(

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

One altho there are at least 2 more within 50 miles. Ours is the most active in the state. We do have a former PCGS currency grader who joined our ranks about a year ago.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are none in Nashville. Only one decent shop.... and that’s at best.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero. Supposedly there is still a Boston Numismatic Society but they have no website so it's hard to know if it is an active organization.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020 10:13PM

I'm currently a member of the ANA. I was a member of the Akron, Ohio coin club for a number of years in the early and mid sixties and briefly the ANA in the late seventies and early eighties. The Akron club still exists but is only a shadow of what it once was.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I think I belong to one less than I would like to- none. But then I hang out here and those thoughts go away. I can stop by anytime day or night any day of the week and there's always something going on.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcarney1173 said:
    Been a member of the West Chester (Pennsylvania) Coin Club for almost 10 years now. We have about 30 members attend every month but we’ve been struggling with recruiting new members and a younger generation of collectors.

Our club is hosting its annual Coin Show on Sunday March 1st if anyone on here lives in the Philadelphia area.

PM me the info as I'm from the Norwood area.
    Thanks.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never counted. A dozen maybe?

• @ricko said:

We may very well be neighbors lol.

OG
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldGold ....Catskill Mountains, NYS....and you? Cheers, RickO

• @ricko Just outside of Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.

OG
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldGold said:
    @ricko Just outside of Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.

Know it well..had the pleasure of going through basic training at: "Ft. Lost in the Woods Misery." (circa 1963)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 1:36PM

@OPA said:

@OldGold said:
    @ricko Just outside of Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.

Know it well..had the pleasure of going through basic training at: "Ft. Lost in the Woods Misery." (circa 1963)

0 :)

Ken
  • CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Zero local clubs. Six national organizations.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020 8:24PM

ANA PNNA & F.U.N.
    No local clubs.
    If I worked for Boeing I'd join that club since it seems very well organized.
    edit to add the CNA

• One coin club which is in Bowie, MD, but I now live in southwest FL so I don't get to many meetings!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 local clubs and one national.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file