Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

High school girl's purse lost in 1957 found in 2019 and wheat cents given to her kids

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

A student’s purse that went missing in 1957 was discovered in 2019 between a set of lockers and a wall during repairs and has turned into a long-lost time capsule from the 1950s.

ABC News article:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/student-lost-purse-1957-discovered-locker-62-years/story?id=69041942

The former student passed away in 2013 so the purse was given to her five kids.

Each of her five children kept one of the wheat pennies as a token of remembrance of their mom.

A 1957 cent (not one of the purse cents)
United States Cent 1957-D

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a neat story. I wonder how the purse got there?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story.... Five cents in 1957 would buy 'penny' candies or a whole chocolate bar... even a single scoop ice cream cone....I was just fifteen then and mowed lawns, shoveled snow, pulled poison ivy and other chores to get money... along with my paper route...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020 9:58AM

I love time-capsule stories such as this one. You know those BU images floating in your mind after seeing @WillieBoyd2 pic? Well, after 52 years in a dusty locker crevice, not so much. Enjoy.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That happened just a few miles south of here.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

that brought a smile

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Great story.... Five cents in 1957 would buy 'penny' candies or a whole chocolate bar... even a single scoop ice cream cone....I was just fifteen then and mowed lawns, shoveled snow, pulled poison ivy and other chores to get money... along with my paper route...Cheers, RickO

Looking for 2 cent pop bottles!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

This story reminds me of when the Post Office I worked in was remodeled. A customer apparently thought the space in two sections of the lobby wall was the mail drop. When the wall was opened up during the remodeling two letters were discovered jammed into the wall. The stamps used were from the late 1940's era. A return address was on the envelopes and there some discussion as to send them on to the utilitiy company or return them to the sender. It was decided to return them to the sender and this was done. Amazingly the family was still at this residence. The actual sender had passed.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there a wild fight over the 2 dimes? :)

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they not clean behind or replace the lockers in 62 years?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Did they not clean behind or replace the lockers in 62 years?

Apparently not.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemstrike said:
    This story reminds me of when the Post Office I worked in was remodeled. A customer apparently thought the space in two sections of the lobby wall was the mail drop. When the wall was opened up during the remodeling two letters were discovered jammed into the wall. The stamps used were from the late 1940's era. A return address was on the envelopes and there some discussion as to send them on to the utilitiy company or return them to the sender. It was decided to return them to the sender and this was done. Amazingly the family was still at this residence. The actual sender had passed.

They probably complained for years about how the post office had lost their mail.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

As a 14 year H.S. student, living in KC MO at the time, I used to stop at Katz's drug store after school to play the pin ball machine, have a burger with chips and a coke, for 50 cents.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a fun story. Would have been cool if all the wheat cents were 1955 doubled dies!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file