Home Precious Metals
Options

Higher Dollar Canadian Bullion

This was my first time running into one of these. It is a 1 oz. round but marked $100. Apparently, it is worth $100 Canadian dollars. All of the other similar Canadian coins in the lot were marked $15 or $25 and all weighed 1 oz of .999. This is an odd dynamic when the face value of the coin is worth much more than its melt value.

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend it! :p

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have noted in the past when they go to cash those in it is difficult to find someone to give you that hundred Canadian dollars.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    As others have noted in the past when they go to cash those in it is difficult to find someone to give you that hundred Canadian dollars.

So if I walked into a Canadian Bank I could not swap it for a $100 Canadian bill?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

canada has a long history of this, dating back at least to the montreal olympic silver $5 and $10 dollar coins

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it a shot with a Canadian bank please and report back.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    canada has a long history of this, dating back at least to the montreal olympic silver $5 and $10 dollar coins

I remember that several years ago. The price of silver dropped and the melt value of these coins fell well below the face value of the coins so many people took them to their bank who refused to take them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Give it a shot with a Canadian bank please and report back.

Sorry I reread your last comment and realized that you don't know the answer to my question. You responded with what you thought you remembered from old posts.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think one could spend it in exchange for goods in Canada.... However, I really do not know if this coin was - how shall I say it - de-monetized? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I would think one could spend it in exchange for goods in Canada.... However, I really do not know if this coin was - how shall I say it - de-monetized? Cheers, RickO

Good point. Are these coins considered legal tender by the Canadian government?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were controversial a bit, banks basically refused to exchange them for cash and it caused frustration to some. Here's the 'rules'.

https://mint.ca/store/mint/customer-service/faq-1100010#Q1a

Can I redeem a collector coin at a bank or use it as currency to purchase goods or services?
    All coins manufactured by the Mint are legal tender. However, unlike Canadian circulation coins, collector coins are non-circulating legal tender (NCLT). As such, these coins are not intended for daily commercial transactions and accepting them as payment or for redemption is at the discretion of businesses and financial institutions.

The Mint has a process in place to reimburse financial institutions the face value of redeemed NCLT coins, once they have accepted them from a customer and returned them to the Mint. In the event a bank branch is unaware of this procedure, customers are advised to contact the Mint with the coordinates of the bank branch, which will take steps to inform the branch of the redemption process.

As collector coins can only be redeemed at face value by businesses and financial institutions willing to accept them, it is recommended that individuals wishing to sell a collector coin first consult with a coin dealer, who is more likely to offer a price above face value.

And over on kitco there are threads about these and the frustrations people were having trying to 'cash' them in. I recall them anyway.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 oz. silver? Canadian government made a bo bo.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    1 oz. silver? Canadian government made a bo bo.

Not a bo bo. Tons of the $100 1 oz silver NCLT's are floating around. I believe the issue price was somewhere around $100 CAD.

https://coinscatalog.net/canada/100-dollars

on page 3 is your coins

https://coinscatalog.net/canada/coin-silver-100-dollars-orca-whale-silver-bullion-coins

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."