Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

As opposed to what grade?

Looks like it doesn't have a whole lot of luster, a 62 wouldn't have surprised me either.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

See the big honking scratch on the cheek?

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

To my eye it does not look uncirculated. But, I suppose it must be the strike. But, if someone handed that to me I would think its VF lol

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent question.... I would grade it 60 or 61 from the picture....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 5:30PM

@Alltheabove76 said:
    To my eye it does not look uncirculated. But, I suppose it must be the strike. But, if someone handed that to me I would think its VF lol

Strike weakness in the ear area is sometimes misconstrued as "wear". Without the presence of much luster it can be hard to judge a weakly struck unc from a circulated coin.

A better question might be "why did someone have that graded".

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

@Alltheabove76 said:

A better question might be "why did someone have that graded".

Because TPGs were new and exciting and they had some coins lying around in a drawer perhaps?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange coin indeed..............but it is in a nice holder.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not totally uncommon for this date to have a weak strike, there are a couple in coinfacts that have this look at this grade.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vote with your pocketbook, don’t buy it if you don’t like it.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are notorious for very weak strike. The scratch on the cheek might be on the plastic, can't tell. I'm inclined to think they got it right.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

If this were guess the grade, I would have said VF30. It has relatively clean surfaces interesting toning which may have swayed the graders. I would purchase it for half asking price!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 9:51PM

Because a professional coin grader graded it ms63 and knew a weak strike when he saw it? For me it is a coin that would be very confusing and difficult to grade. Perhaps points were added for toning.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 63 to me.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

please remember that the coin has been in the holder for 30 years and it's a good bet that when it was submitted it didn't look like that, probably much whiter with some color towards the rim. that has resulted in loss of apparent luster and the slab is pretty beat up, obscuring the coin and adding to the negative eye appeal.

I would imagine that if we could see it as it looked when first encapsulated, 30 years hence, everyone would be tripping over themselves about how undergraded it was.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly not the rainbow tones as the ad says. I’m hoping it looks better in person. It was from the era when things were a bit more technically graded. Market graded, I would expect it to drop in grade a bit. Not a coin I’d want in my collection personally.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file