Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What are these coins worth?

ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the hazards of letting friends know you collect coins is that want you to look at coins they have, most of which is not the sort of material that we want to see. A friend brought some coins from his late father in law which have been sitting for two or three years in a closet.

Questions:

• What can I get for a generic circulated Morgan or Peace Dollar?
  • Are business strike or proof presidential dollars worth anything?
  • He has sets of the 50 state quarters, including an attractive carrying case which has a sealed example of each of the 50 state quarters, plus a plastic canister of 10 quarters of each of the 50 states.
  • He has what are probably silver plated replicates of rare coins, like the 1889 CC Morgan Dollar. Is this a doorstop, or are some people actually willing to buy these things in the after market?

I can probably get just below the going rate for the above dollars, and just below spot for the 90% silver. There's a place that does a lot of bullion near my home. Am not sure where to go re unloading the presidential dollars. Ditto re the state quarters.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
"Seu cabra da peste,
"Sou Mangueira......."

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020 6:19PM

You can try the quarters and Prez dollars on ebay or BST. Honestly, I usually just dump them in the coinstar. You'd be lucky to find someone to pay face [net of shipping and fees], and it's rarely worth your time to look

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    You can try the quarters and Prez dollars on ebay or BST. Honestly, I usually just dump them in the coinstar. You'd be lucky to find someone to pay face, and it's rarely worth your time to look

Pretty sure any bank or retail outlet will pay face value.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might try the BST.... someone may be looking for quarters for YN's collections....Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Morgan and Peace dollars will bring whatever the going rate is for common date circ. Morgans. The price will vary depending on the price of silver.

The Prez dollars and state quarters are essentially spending money. It will not likely be worth the time and effort to try getting anything more for them. The fancy case will likely bring no premium. You might try the BST for these but beware of shipping costs.

The tribute coin replicas are probably near worthless since they contain very little silver. Again, you might try the BST just to see if there is any interest in this stuff but, as before, beware of shipping costs.

Sad isn't it?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    You can try the quarters and Prez dollars on ebay or BST. Honestly, I usually just dump them in the coinstar. You'd be lucky to find someone to pay face, and it's rarely worth your time to look

Pretty sure any bank or retail outlet will pay face value.

LOL. I didn't mean it that way. I meant that it is hard to find someone on eBay or BST who will pay face + shipping + fees

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Pretty much what I expected. My friend's now deceased father in law would have done better watching the Hallmark channel.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that they may not be worth a lot is not evidence he didn't enjoy them.

Just sayin'.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file