Home Precious Metals
Options

Need help in identifying the maker of these art bars and when they might have been produced

OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at a loss. Can't find any info online or ebay.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot help with dates.... However, when I used to go to coin shows (out west), locomotives were a popular art bar design.... several dealers would have large selections of them. Not sure why, I guess they were a popular collecting design at the time. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Yup, but I do not recall seeing the above ones. Could be a more recent produced ones, sponsored by Lionel model trains?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm stumped. One or two out there now, one sold recently for $97. No other info anywhere.
    They don't look like the older style to me. 1980s?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Checked their catalog, but found no reference of any silver bars. It's possible that the bars may have been issued with their annual subscriptions. I emailed Lionel an inquiry, with pictures of both bars, with hopes of getting an answer, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Options

Response from Lionel: No one knows anything about the bars, but will check around with some of the "old timers." My suspicion is that the bar(s) may be older than then I first suspected - circa 1990's.