Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Comments on $2.50 Indian Gold

slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

What caused the ring /line through the date and lettering on the reverse? The coin is graded AU58.

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

This can be found on the 1914-D pretty frequently, too. A few other dates too, but mostly on those. I'm not really sure what caused it.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmmm... slightly misaligned die in the hub? still a nice piece...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think die wear/fatigue but not really sure

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Mike Fuljenz has a book on the Indian gold coins, I think I have a copy and will check tonight

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Dennis for the explanation. I did not find the Fuljienz books to be that informative on intricacies of gold coins, more of a sales device imo.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 2:17PM

I've seen it on Indian gold coins many times.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have seen it on a number of dates on numerous occasions, including the 1925-D coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not uncommon on these coins... I have passed on a couple like that... Not that it is really bad, I just like my gold coins to be free of major distractions.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments. I have been doing the series in AU58. To date I have not bought any with the ring line. I am on the fence with this coin, but a lot of the 25D's have the ring line.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t bother me. Sort of adds character.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    It doesn’t bother me. Sort of adds character.

All else being equal, I prefer a coin without it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file