Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this old (dollar?) coin from my thrift store worth anything (it might even be real silver) ????

DFrohmanDFrohman Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2020 4:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello Everyone!

I am new to coin collecting, and as I don't know much about them perhaps someone here can help me.

I found this old-looking coin (I think that it is a dollar?) at my local thrift store, and want to know if it is old enough to be worth anything? Coins have to be old in order to be valuable, right, so I sure hope that this is old enough!

Also, do you think that it could even be made from real silver?

Boy, I hope so, or I am out three dollars!

Thanks!

David Frohman

B)B)B)B)

Comments

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

trolllllll

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 1:00PM

This is one of the three earliest-known Eisenhower dollars, and also one of the first three-known silver dollars ever struck by the United States since the final Peace dollar was produced in 1935!

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:
    trolllllll

No ... "Prototype"

B)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 bucks eh, really?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

B)B)B)

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 2:40PM

Whats life without a sense of humor (evil grin)!

:)>:)B)

• Options

And in its new "Rarities" holder!

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may have overpaid!! What is the name of that store again?

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

The size of that slab is much bigger than my hands!

• Options

It was the same store where the picture frame was purchased behind which was found the "Dunlop" printing of the declaration of Independence (sold for $7,000,000.00). I believe that the store is located on"Easy Street".

David

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 11:14AM

Why would you pay 3 dollars for a novelty coin?
    It looks awfully small in that holder.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

You know, I was afraid that was the case ... darn!!!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 11:39AM

neat coin and write-up.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    Why would you pay 3 dollars for a novelty coin?
    It looks awfully small in that holder.

You know, we need a bigger holder!

B)B)B)

• Options

The 50th anniversary of the birth of this prototype (and the Eisenhower dollar series) is not far off in 2021!

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 1:01PM

I have been hearing that since 1985, ha ha!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNd3qz68Zw

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand this post. Are you the discoverer of one of these pieces or a new owner of one?

Those sure are nice 71-S Ikes, I can't find a 71-S even half as nice.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 2:42PM

In all seriousness I own this prototype example (the "Discovery" coin). So much for my sense of humor!

OK, then, if that didn't work, then how about this ...

A guy walks into a bar with an 1804 dollar ...
    :D:D:D

• Options

Those sure are nice 71-S Ikes, I can't find a 71-S even half as nice.

It helps if you have a hand-made and hand-finished prototype!

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

Ken
  • Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

LOL

• Options
    edited January 28, 2020 1:03PM

Again, at the risk of being serious, the prototype is extremely difficult to photograph given its semi-prooflike surfaces. It is actually a beautiful light-silver in color when viewed in person (with darker prooflike areas), and its heavy die polishing lines are not apparent in the images.

It will need to be re-imaged prior to its exhibition for the 50th anniversary of the Eisenhower dollar in 2021.

David

• Options

@CRH4LIFE said:
    LOL

At least someone gets my sense of humor!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DFrohman said:
    What's life without a sense of humor (evil grin)!

Don't know and certainly won't discover an answer with this thread. . .

(Still a neat coin and great write-up.)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you make short a video showing the coin? I'd like to see how it looks in hand.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

Dang, now I have to go look at more Ike's....

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 11:47AM

@DFrohman said:
    It was the same store where the picture frame was purchased behind which was found the "Dunlop" printing of the declaration of Independence (sold for $7,000,000.00). I believe that the store is located on"Easy Street".

David

Actually the store is on Broadway in Nashville Tennessee, I had been in that store just a month before and did not see it (The printing) back when my office was just a block away on Capitol Blvd.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@abcde12345 said:

@DFrohman said:
    What's life without a sense of humor (evil grin)!

Don't know and certainly won't discover an answer with this thread. . .

(Still a neat coin and great write-up.)

Thank you so much, and it is a truly surreal treasure that is fun to share here!

David

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

I still maintain that this is a troll. In no way is he who he claims to be.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@Texast said:
    Dang, now I have to go look at more Ike's....

Exxxxcellent, then, my evil plan is working!

:)

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

That is what I keep telling my psychiatrist but they won't listen. Indeed, they just tell me to keep looking through more bags of Ikes, and take my medication!

:D:DB)

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

And, really, who are any of us in the great scheme of the universe!

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 11:57AM
  • Options

Wait, then, are you telling me then that I actually AM the sausage king of Chicago???

B)B)B)

• Options

Or you could just check the name on the certification certificate.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2020 5:51PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Can you make short a video showing the coin? I'd like to see how it looks in hand.

I imagine that there will be a lot of PR surrounding the prototype as the anniversary grows closer. It is still very early in the process, but I must say that the piece looks absolutely surreal in person.

• Options

Now, at the risk of being serious for a moment ...

Regarding the prototype's grading history, David Hall established an initial grade in 2011 of SP - 65+ on the prototype (due to the "Blue Pack" pylofilm haze on it).

I have thus worked with PCGS and their conservation lab over the last year to have the haze professionally (and now successfully) removed. Most recently, PCGS even brought in experts to conduct cutting-edge metalological testing on the silver planchet itself (which showed that Gasparro used stock silver planchets for the prototype strikes).

The prototype then received its current grade of SP-67 (although the "CoinFacts" page still has old data and images to soon be updated).

And, as mentioned above, the wonderful writer Josh McMorrow-Hernandez has recently done a superb article on the prototypes.

Remember, also, that the 50th anniversary of these prototypes (and the Eisenhower dollar itself) is only a year away.

I hope to see exciting developments in terms of major Eisenhower dollar exhibitions in 2021. Exhibitions, in-turn, that I hope will inspire a new generation of collectors in this amazing series!

David

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

David, I am grateful to have found this thread (and certainly not to hijack it!) what is your take on the Ike LowBall Registry. I love it, yet would totally understand if you have a different opinion. I would love your opinion on collecting well worn (problem-free) Ikes.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:

David, I am grateful to have found this thread (and certainly not to hijack it!) what is your take on the Ike LowBall Registry. I love it, yet would totally understand if you have a different opinion. I would love your opinion on collecting well worn (problem-free) Ikes.

Great question, and my response is that you should collect what you love. In my personal opinion, I believe that "lowball" Ikes are scarce, given the hardness of the metal.

Ironically, one reason that this prototype even exists is that Gasparro was individually making these in order to determine a useable striking pressure that would work on both the hard copper-nickel (and softer silver) planchets.

Indeed, he was repeating the very same strike-testing process that was done during the birth of the Peace Dollar in 1921 (ironically exactly fifty years before and with these very coins):

https://www.pcgs.com/news/unique-peace-dollar-rarities-stacks-bowers

Anyway, I love the "lowballs" as they are really uncommon, and happy collecting!

David

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! Someday I'll pick your brain over the "Peacock Ikes" from the '80s and '90s (not so popular today) and your take as to the origin and authenticity of them. In the meantime, thanks for joining this forum and I look forward to more Ike talk in the future, for sure.

peacockcoins

• Options

I should also mention that 2020 represents my fifty-first (51st) year as a coin collector. Ironically, I began collecting coins in 1969, the very year that the Eisenhower dollar was authorized by congress!

David

• Options

@braddick said:
    Thanks! Someday I'll pick your brain over the "Peacock Ikes" from the '80s and '90s (not so popular today) and your take as to the origin and authenticity of them. In the meantime, thanks for joining this forum and I look forward to more Ike talk in the future, for sure.

I really don't have an opinion on the "Peacocks", other than that they are certainly beautiful coins! Thank you for touching base!

David

• Options
    edited January 27, 2020 5:58PM

Some "Prototype Trivia" ....

The three-known prototypes (of which this is the "discovery coin") were all purchased for essentially face value.

That would likely make them the three single most valuable coins ever found for essentially face value in circulation within the history of the United States (with the possible exception of the 1943 copper cents). The public fair-market value of the prototypes is still an abstraction so I can't say for certain, but I think that will change in 2021.

Remarkably, one of the three was purchased on e-bay for under $100.00, possibly making it among the most valuable "finds" (based on the price paid) in e-bay history!

Working prototypes typically don't exist in private hands (although the 1921 "Baker Estate" Peace dollar prototypes released in 2014 are a rare exception), much less those used here for "The Birth of Americas Last Silver Dollar!"

Hmmmm, that would make a catchy phrase (smile!) for a banner drapped over the roof of the Philadelphia mint where these were born, during the anniversary year of 2021.

David

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many people have taken out their blue pack 1971 S Ikes and looked closely at them in the last couple hours.....? I don't have any to look at.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

What year did it sell on eBay? I had several at one time.

Ken
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

You overpaid.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@jedm said:
    I wonder how many people have taken out their blue pack 1971 S Ikes and looked closely at them in the last couple hours.....? I don't have any to look at.

I think that I hear the sound of blue packs being torn open, ha ha! Seriously, the hunt has now been on since 2008 with only three examples found. However, hope springs eternal and you never know!
    Right now, I suspect that Frank Gasparro is laughing somewhere in the great beyond, and wondering why it even took collectors thirty-seven years to find the first of his winning lottery ticket "Blue Packs" in 2008.
    David

• Options

@Weiss said:
    You overpaid.

Darn ... I was afraid of that!!!

This discussion has been closed.