Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a historic benefit to owning Auction Catalogs

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know they are a burden to many and some are digitized in the Newman Numismatic Portal.

Do they still have a place in a collection?

How do they benefit a collector of say Buffalo Nickels or Morgan/Peace Dollars?

Might be the closest I ever come to owning some of the higher end coins, and as a photography buff the images would be a joy to look at...

I could see a benefit in provenance, artificial toning, pricing

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you need 'price realized' sheets also....but after a few years, that information loses value.
    I used to be a catalog saver, I got over it......

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used have quite a few from the 80s and 90s but having moved a couple times, I got rid of the "common/generic" ones. I only kept those from Significant collections like Eliasberg or Ford, Auctions that had significant coins like the 1804 dollar or 1913 V Nickel, or some specialty sales for things like large cents or CWTs that interest me.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with keeping them if you have space, but when it comes time to move them, you may want to be selective about what you box up. I love my library of numismatic references, but haven't missed the catalogs I tossed

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them for the descriptions. I learn about the coin and sometimes the process. Usually I get an idea of what a top end coin looks like and helps me gauge what I’m looking at by the best.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're informative and often beautiful to look at, but BOY do they take up room! I used to keep them, but the bulk eventually discouraged that sort of thing. They're gone now.

• Options

With the Buffalo Nickels and Morgan/Peace Dollars in mind... or not

What would be a top 10 or top 20 in terms of significance?

Could be by decades or size and breadth of auction.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to look at them from the mid 2000s when everything was crazy high compare nowadays etc

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

99% of them should be consigned to the recycle bin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that keeping catalogs from generic sales is mainly a waste of space in the digital age.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those and board make a swell turntable setup.
    :p

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

No benefit really unless you want to reflect back in a decade or so to see how much money you lost.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I quite enjoy holding a book instead of reading in digital format.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

I probably have a few thousand catalogs. Many are post WW-II, but there are nearly complete sets of the catalogs from the important 19 century auctioneers!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

It helps track the provenance of coins through the years. Mostly that’s important for coins way above my pay grade.

The provenance of my coins basically look like this.... I got it from Bob who got it from Larry who traded a gas tank from an old Husqvarna motorbike for it. Before that, Sam is the one who pawned it for cigarette money. So far, I’m only able to trace it to March of 2019.....

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm about to agree! I have 2 3-4 foot tall stacks in my basement!

@dpoole said:
    They're informative and often beautiful to look at, but BOY do they take up room! I used to keep them, but the bulk eventually discouraged that sort of thing. They're gone now.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    No benefit really unless you want to reflect back in a decade or so to see how much money you lost.

I was looking at a auction from 2006 at Orlando and somebody paid 6900 for a 38d over s buffalo in a 67 ngc star holder!! I think the coin on the grey sheet goes for 525!! 😬

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have the CD "catalogs" that HA used to send out. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most fun I have with old auction catalogs are with the sales I attended. The memories flood in.

It's also fun going through much older sales and spotting a familiar coin, especially when you had no idea that that's where the coin came from.

As for the utility of the catalogs, it depends on the reader. If your're only interested in mainstream US coins, and if your only concerns are grade and price, a small library should be sufficient. If your interests are more diverse, a serious library can occasionally pay huge dividends.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The most fun I have with old auction catalogs are with the sales I attended. The memories flood in.

True! In my case, "Wow, got blown out of the water on that one. Wish I'd won the lottery the previous week."

:)

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently found out that one of my 2019 purchases was part of the A.J. Vanderbilt collection. The seller did not state this, but when I plugged the certificate number into PCGS it brought up an auction record that mentioned it. I did a quick search on eBay and found the catalog from that auction, offered $6, and had it in hand about a week later. I'll probably keep it as long as I own the coin.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have a big library, it would be nice to keep them for enjoyment to flip through.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I moved a bookcase from one room to another and boxed up a handful of catalogs I really don't want. I'm down to Eliasberg, Pittman, Bass, and a couple others, including some that are good reference guides (e.g., Missouri Cabinet), but realistically they're mostly just very heavy shelf decoration. I may move a few more to the box when I move the bookcase back. I'm starting to look at stuff in my house and judging how much "rent" it pays me in terms of enjoyment per cubic foot occupied.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love them though limit myself to less than the 40 board feet I have in barrister cases.

If new or classic older auction cat's get added then others leave.

I keep all the sales I attended for auction notes, etc. They have proven valuable.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes there is benefit. you get to be on that Hoarders TV show.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect collect collect...... 50 years later: "WTH am I doing?"

Recycle.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of them should be recycled, but there are a few, like the Eliasberg Sales, which are comprehensive and still of use for research purposes. The main trouble with them is that the photography was as good as those days, and the auction houses didn’t spend the money provide color enlargements for the vast majority of the items.

The Newman site has reduced the need to keep old auction catalogs to a considerable to degree, but some of them are still useful, especially when they had great write-ups about the history of the coins and the lots.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recycled about 100 a number of years ago, happy to have the shelf space back. Never miss them.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an amazing library. I didn’t see your face Andy in the video

• Options

I am building a library In my house now. Lake views, quirky angles, reading nook. Definitely a wall will be dedicated to my numismatic collection .

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I am building a library In my house now. Lake views, quirky angles, reading nook. Definitely a wall will be dedicated to my numismatic collection .

Overstuffed leather chair with a globe liquor cabinet?

• Options

@messydesk said:

@Boosibri said:

Indeed and a ladder with brass railings for the top shelf’s. Ceiling in one part is 12ft!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@messydesk said:

@Boosibri said:

Indeed and a ladder with brass railings for the top shelf’s. Ceiling in one part is 12ft!

Looking forward to the Grand Opening party!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@Boosibri said:

This post is no good without pics...

• Options

@yspsales said:

@Boosibri said:

This post is no good without pics...

I will definitely post pics when it is done this summer. Cannot cut the balcony out to the water until it is warmer as the sealants and adhesives won’t bond when it is below freezing. Spray foam insulation is next then electrical. Spring 2020 should be complete.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear Consuelo, formerly in the employ of Mssr. Longacre, is seeking employment.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of them should be recycled, but there are a few, like the Eliasberg Sales, which are comprehensive and still of use for research purposes. The main trouble with them is that the photography was as good as those days, and the auction houses didn’t spend the money provide color enlargements for the vast majority of the items.

The Newman site has reduced the need to keep old auction catalogs to a considerable to degree, but some of them are still useful, especially when they had great write-ups about the history of the coins and the lots.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pricing in catalogs doesn't mean much to me, because the price realized is a strong function of who was bidding at that time. Add another strong bidder, or remove one, and the end result would be likely very different for a given lot.

Catalogs can also be worth collecting because of notes handwritten by attendees (what they thought of the coins, who the winning bidders were)---this kind of information is hard to come by otherwise.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 9:31AM

Some dealers use catalog pages as shipping stuffer material so there is that.

I’ll keep the Baker Washingtonia sale catalog.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

To extend the thought by @Sonorandesertrat , my fear is that NNP will go oh, we have the Chapman xx date sale, we don't need all these copies of it just because 20 old people wrote notes in them.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 10:35AM

I used to have many many catalogs but have trimmed back. Now I focus on important historic collections, especially those that featured early silver. The classics like Eliasberg, Pittman, Norweb updated with leather bound set of Pogue catalogues, Garnder and Newman. I will also keep some catalogs that contain early patterns or American keys. I kept a copy of the Adam's Comitia Americana since I bought some splashers from that set.

They are still so fun to browse on a rainy day or inside because of pandemic day.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had thousands from the mid to late 1960s through 1990 or so. A few years back I started selling them on eBay mostly by auction company by year. I sold over $2,000.00 worth and glad they are gone. They were packed in boxes in the basement and hadn't been looked at in years but I'm basically a pack rat. Now I use the NNP to retrieve the auction notes for items that I bought at auction that are still in my collection.

I still have more and every time I go to my local monthly show I bring a stack for the "free stuff" table outside the door and they are always gone when I leave so I guess folk find the interesting. I do the same thing with Whitman folders and older Red Books that I pick up at my local library sale for $1.00.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see limited value, none for myself.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I see value in owning physical auction catalogs. In fact, I am currently in the process of purchasing some auction catalogs including some that were annotated by a well known numismatist. I will post more if I get them.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file