AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait for it...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

A mirror?

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will just keep it simple and say that it is not an error.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing much.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

And there it was...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

It wouldnt be a 1959 brockage

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @Lardogmillionaire.

Maybe. A round someone placed/hammered an imprint onto; made from a mold...; made in the Far East....

Not a US Mint error cent.

Reading references:

http://www.error-ref.com/brockage-full

http://www.error-ref.com/brockage-counterbrockage_combination_8_ways/

Crop your pics, fingers and such are distracting.

• Options

Then why is the lincoln Memorial ghosted in the background. N i work for a living so yes my hands get dirty.

• Options

Brokerage or not it’s far too damaged for any numismatic premium. May not even be able to spend it. If it’s even a cent minted by the U.S. Mint.

IMO

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Common CU humor and banter. Most of our population works for a living. Ncluding many members of this forum ;) > @Lardogmillionaire said:

Then why is the lincoln Memorial ghosted in the background. N i work for a living so yes my hands get dirty.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lardogmillionaire said:

It's probably a "sandwich coin". You take two coins and press them together in a vise. The Lincoln head from the second coin gets imprinted in reverse onto the back of the 1st coin. The Memorial is "ghosted" because you've pressed a new image over the top of it.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. In no way shape or form would I consider this an obvious sandwich or damaged coin. I cannot believe that so many forum members would rush to condemn this coin based on those photos.

I think there is a possibility that this is a genuine US Mint error coin (a mirror brockage error). While it is worn and has some scrapes/nicks, ruling this out as a non-error is premature, in my opinion.

Take a look at this one, for example:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/unexpanded-mirror-brockages-require-special-c.html

I just want to give this one a chance (not saying I’m right and maybe my phone screen is too small for my eyes!). Your thoughts?

@errormaven
    @SullivanNumismatics
    @FredWeinberg
    @jonathanb

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2020 4:56AM

Okay:
    PMD

Because:
    The first [normal] obverse is a 1956 { ? on the 6, the last digit is not clear} D.

The inverted image has no mintmark.

Sorry but impossible

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lardogmillionaire ....Welcome aboard.... your coin has been tampered with by someone... not the mint....looks like they wanted to make a two headed coin for flipping....not an error coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 24, 2020 7:09AM

@GoldenEgg said:
    Wow. In no way shape or form would I consider this an obvious sandwich or damaged coin. I cannot believe that so many forum members would rush to condemn this coin based on those photos.

I think there is a possibility that this is a genuine US Mint error coin (a mirror brockage error). While it is worn and has some scrapes/nicks, ruling this out as a non-error is premature, in my opinion.

Take a look at this one, for example:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/unexpanded-mirror-brockages-require-special-c.html

I just want to give this one a chance (not saying I’m right and maybe my phone screen is too small for my eyes!). Your thoughts?

@errormaven
    @SullivanNumismatics
    @FredWeinberg
    @jonathanb

The problem there are more images of “how-to’s”... on the “wonderful” internet of things...

Next is for the OP @Lardogmillionaire to to provide clear focused pics and hi-res pics.

Blurry images are conducive to a blurry opinions.

Where is the MM as @Treashunt mentioned?

My blurry opinion - need more caffeine.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

does the backwards side Lincoln and numbers/letters go into the coin, or raise up out of the coin?

• Options

Goes into

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pictures are intriguing but the condition is so horrid it's going to be hard for anyone to give a firm opinion.

Can you get a weight in grams?

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg or @CaptHenway may be able to tell us.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

OP, how did you acquire this?

• Options
    SullivanNumismaticsSullivanNumismatics Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 8:30AM

It looks authentic to me. If it weighs 3.1 grams, it is authentic.

It would likely be a 1st strike brockage (likely from a struck split planchet cent which failed to be ejected from the reverse die's surfaces when it was struck, which is why the brockage is weak in some areas on this coin.)

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this thread. Genuine Mint error,

A late state (so thinned out) reverse die cap was struck against the obverse die and got a new but incomplete obverse strike. This planchet fed in and got a normal obverse strike plus a first strike brockage from the new obverse design on the reverse cap.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I will try to get weight. Beins its a 59 with memorial n not wheat would that make it valuable.

• Options

Is trading this penny for 4 morgan dollars worth it

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lardogmillionaire said:
    Is trading this penny for 4 morgan dollars worth it

It would depend on the Morgans and their grade and which you value more. Personally, if I were in your position, I would not. But only you can answer that.

• Options

The normal reverse for a 1959 cent would be the Lincoln Memorial, not the wheat back.

Hard to say what the value is of your coin with the minor circulation, but it is impossible to say what the four silver dollars are worth without knowing date, mint mark and condition.

Personally, I would rather have the error cent. As errors go it is pretty cool. You can get a million circulated silver dollars if you have the money.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally we get to see a real error coin in one of these newbie threads! Yay. Welcome to the forum.

• Options

Needs authentication.

• Options

I will get it authenticated as soon as possible. Where should i send n how much you think.

• Options

Since we are on a PCGS forum:

https://www.pcgs.com/

And for options:

https://www.ngccoin.com/

https://www.anacs.com/

https://www.icgcoin.com/

Others may have other options.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on the nice find! Goes to show there are some real ones out there.

----- kj
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Needs authentication.

I politely disagree, considering the condition of the piece, which speaks for itself. The knowledgeable error people would buy it as is.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

My tongue is dirtier than your finger o:) ....and my errors aren’t as cool.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the revers bustals> @CaptHenway said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Needs authentication

I politely disagree, considering the condition of the piece, which speaks for itself. The knowledgeable error people would buy it as is.

I respectfully see both sides , but personally think experts ought to see it in hand, as a benefit to the hobby .

• Options

So what would it be worth??? If i were to sell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file