Home Sports Talk
Options

It's official: Eli retires

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2020 4:57PM in Sports Talk

Thanks for the memories.

You may not have been Montana. But in the SB future bets I had you at 35, and 25:1 you were better than him. :)
https://www.si.com/advertise/video/2020/01/22/eli-manning-to-retire-after-16-seasons

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a class act. Now the HOF debate begins.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is a HOF’er in my opinion. I can’t stand him or the Giants for beating the Pats but he has over 50K yards passing and 2 Super Bowl Rings, I say he gets in

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you guys kidding?

Of course Eli is a Hall of Famer. There should be no debate.

First ballot i'm not sure, but he definitely gets in.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Are you guys kidding?

I'm not seeing it.

Bad completion %, 11 seasons in the top 10 for interceptions, poor QBR, poor Passer Rating.

Looks like he had 5 really good years, maybe 6.

How do you justify it? Postseason record? 3 out of 6 times in the playoffs he was horrible, 2 times he was excellent, 1 time good but they lost.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2020 7:42PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:
    Are you guys kidding?

I'm not seeing it.

Bad completion %, 11 seasons in the top 10 for interceptions, poor QBR, poor Passer Rating.

How do you justify it? Postseason record? 3 out of 6 times in the playoffs he was horrible, 2 times he was excellent, 1 time good but they lost.

Valid points, but there are other considerations as well.

Voters are going to remember that in two Super Bowls, he beat the mighty Patriots dynasty twice, including preventing the Patriots from having an undefeated season when the Patriots were a heavy favorite in that Super Bowl.

Shouldn't be in a Hall of Fame because of one or a few events? Well Bill Mazeroski is in the Baseball Hall of Fame for hitting one dramatic home run which clinched a World Series against the Yankees, a dynasty at that time.

The name "Manning" sure doesn't hurt, and Eli is a class act as was mentioned.

All things considered, Eli gets in - book it. :)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eli gets in.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

No other QB landed a ball squarely on top of a receivers helmet in a super bowl.

• Options

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:
    Are you guys kidding?

I'm not seeing it.

Voters are going to remember that in two Super Bowls, he beat the mighty Patriots dynasty twice, including preventing the Patriots from having an undefeated season when the Patriots were a heavy favorite in that Super Bowl.

Shouldn't be in a Hall of Fame because of one or a few events? Well Bill Mazeroski is in the Baseball Hall of Fame for hitting one dramatic home run which clinched a World Series against the Yankees, a dynasty at that time.

I would say the defense had more to do with the SB victories than Manning, but he did play very well in those two years.

I won't whine if he gets in, but I wouldn't vote for him. All the complaining about HOFs being watered down, this guy would seem to me to be a waterer downer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an Patriots and Eagles fan, the nicest thing I can say is ... I won’t miss him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

In.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:
    Are you guys kidding?

I'm not seeing it.

I would say the defense had more to do with the SB victories than Manning, but he did play very well in those two years.

I won't whine if he gets in, but I wouldn't vote for him. All the complaining about HOFs being watered down, this guy would seem to me to be a waterer downer.

Well, Eli won the game MVP in both of those Super Bowls, so he couldn't have performed too badly.

As far as Hall of Fames being watered down, i fully agree on that.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's a lock for the Hall, though it may take a couple years. How many two-time Super Bowl MVPs are not in the HOF?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid QB, and future HOFer. Well done Eli!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lock it up. He gets in with dropping a bead of sweat.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

To me, a HOFer is someone that opponents planned their game against (Randy Moss, Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Rice, etc) and adjusted how they had to take that guy into account. Some teams even drafted with a strategy of having to face that guy in their division 2x per year. I don't see that in Eli - he is not a lock.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 6:31AM

I also see Eli getting in. I mean, he won 2 Super Bowls, was the MVP in those Super Bowls, has 57,023 passing yards and 366 TD's. I think he did enough to get in.

• Options

HE WON TWO SUPER BOWLS ALL BY HIMSELF!

Sorry, I had to do it.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    HE WON TWO SUPER BOWLS ALL BY HIMSELF!

Sorry, I had to do it.

I was suprised it took this long 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Trent Dilfer for the Hall of Fame! He won more Super Bowls than that over rated Fran Tarkenton.

Geez, how can a guy named "Francis" be in the HOF?

Dan Marino? He was a "7" out of 10, how on earth did he get in?

Let's not forget Brad Johnson guys!

• Options

Perhaps what I will miss most about Eli is the comedy he provided for us. The memories bring a tear to my eye....

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Trent Dilfer for the Hall of Fame! He won more Super Bowls than that over rated Fran Tarkenton.

Dilfer won a Super Bowl MVP?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Dilfer won a Super Bowl MVP?

He all by himself won a Super Bowl and as many Super Bowl MVP's as Tarkenton and Marino COMBINED!

• Options

There's always that one. Just ask Jeter :D

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Joe Flacco also won a Super Bowl. He's a first ballot, unanimous, HOFer, and he just might be the greatest to ever play the game.

• Options

Hey - one Super Bowl ring and one Super Bowl MVP could be construed as a freak event. You won't see me touting Nick Foles for the Hall of Fame as much as i love the guy for what he did.

But two Super Bowl rings and two Super Bowl MVP's, backed up by a lifetime of solid stats, etc.

Eli Manning - NFL Football Hall of Fame future inductee.

Case closed.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this was mentioned above but that 2007 SB run might have been the most impressive SB run in NFL history having won three straight road games to get there.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I don't know if this was mentioned above but that 2007 SB run might have been the most impressive SB run in NFL history having won three straight road games to get there.

It was the luckiest that’s for sure 😉

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Can we as Pats fans really complain about luck after so many lucky breaks/moments over the past 20 years lol?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

The great ones make their own luck. I suggest you re-watch the David Tyree play ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I still can't believe it. :)

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Now ya got me mad. B)

• Options

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

The great ones make their own luck. I suggest you re-watch the David Tyree play ;)

Yea cuz Tyree was such a great one lol. You guys know I’m just joking around, However I do think that was one of the luckiest catches ever and if you don’t agree then your only fooling yourself. And yes Brady and the Pats have had more than their fair share of luck 100%. Plus I already stated Eli is a HOF’er.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Now ya got me mad. B)

Should I have said the Philly Super Bowl was luckier? Belichick refusing to let Butler play?? 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥😉

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Can we as Pats fans really complain about luck after so many lucky breaks/moments over the past 20 years lol?

How about drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round?

Yes Brady was noticed by one of the Patriots scouts or whoever, and Belichick went with it, but only as a 6th rounder.

But Brady becoming this good? A bit of luck involved of course.

Also lucky to get Bill Belichick as well. The GOAT even if he never wins another game.

Belichick had signs of being a potential GOAT when he got there. But so have other head coaches going to new teams from the pros or college, and many of them fizzle out.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Now ya got me mad. B)

Should I have said the Philly Super Bowl was luckier? Belichick refusing to let Butler play?? 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥😉

Don't say it. 😉

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 11:59AM

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Yea cuz Tyree was such a great one lol. You guys know I’m just joking around, However I do think that was one of the luckiest catches ever and if you don’t agree then your only fooling yourself. And yes Brady and the Pats have had more than their fair share of luck 100%. Plus I already stated Eli is a HOF’er.

silly, it was ELI who created that play LOL. Tyree was just a cast member :)
    That was one of the greatest plays in the games history. Watching Eli escape from absolute sure doom to step up and see Tyree and plant it in the only place it could have been "caught"? EPIC EPIC EPIC

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GGSyzXKy6_I

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Namath is in with one super bowl and way more picks than TD's

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 5:42PM

Yes, but Namath is also the only player in the hall of fame to wear pantyhose, and that has to count for something.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

That was the year that the Cowboys stomped a mudhole in the Giants TWICE during the season and then lose to them in the playoffs.......YES luck was involved!

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098575/article/will-eli-manning-be-inducted-in-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame

Deion says it best:

"Honestly, I'm not so sure what being a Hall of Famer means anymore. Football immortality used to be reserved for players who redefined their position, made a big impact on the game or dominated their position for a period of time. The way the Hall is trending now, Eli will get in most likely because he won two Super Bowls. It won't be because he embodied any of those three points while in the league."

• Options
    edited January 24, 2020 6:41AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

That was the year that the Cowboys stomped a mudhole in the Giants TWICE during the season and then lose to them in the playoffs.......YES luck was involved!

lol OK as if reg season games are the ultimate comparison. Only 1st year fans think like that hahaha and the Cowboys haven't been good since mullets were cool. No matter how much Joy Buck and Troy Aikman try to make it so :D

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098575/article/will-eli-manning-be-inducted-in-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame

Deion says it best:

"Honestly, I'm not so sure what being a Hall of Famer means anymore. Football immortality used to be reserved for players who redefined their position, made a big impact on the game or dominated their position for a period of time. The way the Hall is trending now, Eli will get in most likely because he won two Super Bowls. It won't be because he embodied any of those three points while in the league."

It could be a two part question:

1. Will Eli get into the Hall of Fame? The correct answer is Yes, really not at all debatable.

2. Would Eli get into a "Hall of Fame" that is reserved only for the greatest and not just excellent players? A Hall of Fame that i happen to agree the way it should be, reserved for only the greatest. The correct answer is No.

It's not remotely debatable that Eli was an excellent player, but by no means a "great" player.

It's like the marines always say when they are mired in combat and in dire circumstances and thoughts from the troops are they sure wish they weren't there. But the leader says that "We can't refuse to accept the situation" and moves ahead.

No sense in refusing to accept the situation that the Hall of Fames are watered down, and it's likely to continue. It is what it is - Eli gets in and the haters can't refuse to accept the situation that it's 100% certain.

The only debatable hypothetical point would be should Eli get into a "greatest only" Hall of Fame? I say No. However with two Super Bowl rings and two Super Bowl MVP's, i could understand the point of view of those who would say Yes. And it wouldn't bother me all that much if he did get into that Hall of Fame because of those two remarkable achievements, plus the other things already mentioned in the thread.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Wow, surprised that you admit the Cowboys were lucky in two of the three games that year!

You are FINALLY starting to realize that you have to put homerism aside if you want to achieve credibility here.

Bravo my man!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Wow, surprised that you admit the Cowboys were lucky in two of the three games that year!

You are FINALLY starting to realize that you have to put homerism aside if you want to achieve credibility here.

Bravo my man!

LOL......it was NYG who were lucky to win the 3rd game! Romo was probably the cause. He never came thru when it mattered.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2020 9:00AM

Deion is a moron. The types of players he is talking about come once a decade at best. There would be 42 guys in the HOF right now …. IF THAT MANY ... if that was the case.

• Options

@softparade said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

lol OK as if reg season games are the ultimate comparison. Only 1st year fans think like that hahaha and the Cowboys haven't been good since mullets were cool. No matter how much Joy Buck and Troy Aikman try to make it so :D

LOL...as if you get to the playoffs without winning games during the season. ;)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my real life, I do not like to use the word "hate".

In my sports life, I hate Eli.

He will eventually be in the HOF because of what he did, twice... :(

However, I feel as though those two SB losses were the catalyst for the second half of this Patriots Dynasty.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I just watched the helmet catch for the first time since that day. I had gone all this time unable to watch it. Still painful.

• Options
    edited January 24, 2020 10:55AM

Eli was also pretty tough, he had a consecutive starts streak of about 210 games, spanning from 2004 to 2017. So we might as well add "tough" to his HOF resume, plus his brother Peyton believes he should be in the HOF, so we should also add "Peyton thinks so" to his HOF resume.