Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Variety Guide to the Silver and Copper Coinage of the Mexico City Mint, 1772-1821

Just received an email from Brad Yonaka that the new book on Mexican Portrait coinage is available. Posting below for those interested.

Email text:
As the title indicates, it covers all silver denominations (1/4, ½, 1, 2, 4, and 8 reales) and the three copper fractional reales, as issued by this mint starting from the cessation of pillar coinage until the end of Spanish colonial issues. The book is 266 pages, hardback, with over 500 black and white photographs, as is written using the layout familiar from my previous books.

This book will become available from various sources in the coming month or so, but as someone who has previously contacted me for direct book purchase, I wanted to let you know that I have the new title available now for $65 + $5 shipping (within USA), for a total of $70. It is payable to my Paypal account at acanthite@live.com , or by personal check/money order sent to:

Agorocu Consulting Inc

PO Box 41515

Long Beach, CA 90853

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the news, Brian.
    I plan to order a copy.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be very interesting ...varieties ?? ....thanks for posting.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to Brad's book as the IT reference for my 8 Reales collection. I think some of my coins might have made plates, but we'll see.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I shall contact him.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Looking forward to Brad's book as the IT reference for my 8 Reales collection. I think some of my coins might have made plates, but we'll see.

Did you provide pictures to Brad?

• Options

@bidask said:
    Should be very interesting ...varieties ?? ....thanks for posting.

Yes for sure if his wonderful pillar books are any indication.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Did you provide pictures to Brad?

A few, yes.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, I have been looking forward to this release.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered one last week.

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely one I'll earmark.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received mine today and have looked at it briefly. Worth every cent IMO.

I also like the hard cover on this volume versus soft cover on the prior two, even though it costs more. It looks better (as does Gilboy's reference) and is easier to preserve.

It follows the same format as the other two, especially the last volume covering the pillar subsidiary mints. I collect the quartillos (1/4 real) somewhat and was pleasantly surprised it was included. The title is self evident but I just wasn't thinking about it. There may be another reference on this coinage, but I'm not aware of it.

I don't collect any portraits. However, since pillars are my primary series and about all I buy, I find the survey information useful for comparison of scarcity. Comparing denominations, some of these coins (quite a few) appear to be scarcer than a noticeable proportion of the Mexico pillars and even a few from the other mints. I have never tracked this coinage closely but it doesn't surprise me. However, it's evident that whatever supply exists, this coinage is available in better quality most of the time, frequently much better.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered mine

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

I need mine, hope it gets here soon

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I need mine, hope it gets here soon

Agree, I'm eagerly awaiting mine.