Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Do you collect Peace dollars?

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

As we approach the 2021 centennial of the first Peace dollar, I'm curious to hear from hobbyists --- do you collect these silver dollars? What do you think of them?

POLL: Do you collect Peace dollars?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche. (Includes type-set collecting.)

I like to crack them out of slabs and admire them in all their lustrous glory up close and personal. Happy Friday

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I own some, but don't consider them a carefully assembled collection.

I have four or five for various reasons, but the design is not one I favor and isn't a series that I would ever consider collecting by date/mm.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche. (Includes type-set collecting.)

I am a fan of the series but prefer morgans.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect them as a silver bullion play.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few, but do not focus on them.... except, I would like a nice 1921 specimen.... I should get more serious on that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own some, but have personally always found Peace Dollars difficult to grade. I vastly prefer Morgans.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only what is in my type set. Had a Everyman set at one time but sold it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Mint state date set and a few of the better VAMs.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a complete slabbed set, occasionally upgrade one if presented an offer that is too hard to pass up.

I also stack them as bullion when found at or near melt.

Believe that would put me somewhere in yes, between active and casual collector. I will select casual.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always loved that design! Stunning, really.

I'm just not a silver dollar collector. If I were, I'd be all over the Peace Dollars. Wonderful coins!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Date set album "collector" accumulater

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have acquired many certified Peace Dollars over the years.

I also stack common date circulated Morgan and Peace Dollars when the price is right. With a preference for the Morgans.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design, assembled a set but havent considered upgrading any and my focus shifted to earlier half dollars.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice survey, all my Peace dollars are from my early collecting days. Several VAMs of varied types. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TriPodBuffaloTriPodBuffalo Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I was working on a set but sold most of them when I took a sabbatical from coins about 20 years ago.

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bought a nice blue Whitman album for Peace dollars a few months ago and I’m starting with the common dates in UNC. My problem is I find Peace dollars so tough to grade and always end up buying slider AUs thinking they’re UNC.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I don’t collect them at all, and I don’t own any.

No, but I do plan on getting one for my Variety Type Set.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t really collect peace dollars but I do have some. I like them but I like Morgans more. But maybe sometime I’ll try to put a set together.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I've had sets in the past but currently own zero. Not a silver dollar guy.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 6:22PM

While I love the Art Nouveau/ Art Deco movement the only Peace dollars I own are of D Carr. Not sure why. Lovely design

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Have a complete date mint set from xf to bu most of which were found in the wild in the fifties and early sixties. Enjoy them because of size and design. And, they don't have to be slabbed, stickered plastic to be enjoyed.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 6:51PM

I had a complete slabbed set (all MS) about ten years ago but sold them. I put a raw set together a few years ago. (mostly XF's) just because it was easy and cheap. Not my favorites.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completed my set of Peace Dollars about 60 years ago. Still have them in their original album. I have started another collection of Peace Dollars that will all be PCGS/CAC 66 or higher. I have a way to go on that one, though.

OINK

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2020 8:36PM

Edited to add: If I remember correctly this is the first set that I completed. Not too many of them and affordable to get in fairly nice looking shape. I do love the design and I am of the "peaceful persuasion" so they are sort of dear to me.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give them to me by the roll and I'm happy. Been carrying one I got in Seattle around now for about 5 years.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Dansco book of Peace Dollars was the first set I ever completed. Most are sliders except for the '28 and '34-S. I like the design a lot better than Morgans.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere between option one and two.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had fun completing a high grade set, and enjoyed them for several years. Then I lost interest sold the set.

They're still my favorite silver dollars and I have a few raw saved. But I prefer early 19th century coins today.
    Lance.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got an AU to MS64 raw year set, but that was done some years back. I do have a couple of real nice ones in the type sets.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace Silver dollars fit the bill. Big,Heavy, and easy on the eyes. Why I don't collect dimes. Sorry dimeman.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2020 10:22AM

No.

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

I find the Peace dollar's designs (both obverse and reverse) more pleasing than those of the Morgan dollar.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are on my 'to do' list along with Franklins, Buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an AU/BU raw set in an album I put together some years ago, plus a few spares lying around.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Between # 1 & # 2

I just fell into the hobby, seems a good, easy, and inexpensive Type set to start out on.

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of 1921 and 1928 examples since I'm primarily a type coin collector. I've always considered the Peace dollar design to be more artistic and attractive than the Morgan dollar design. Most of you will probably disagree with me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I have a couple of 1921 and 1928 examples since I'm primarily a type coin collector. I've always considered the Peace dollar design to be more artistic and attractive than the Morgan dollar design. Most of you will probably disagree with me.

Not me. Actually I wholeheartedly agree that they are the superior design

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 5:36PM

Peace $ a fav of probably 10 diff fav areas

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only collect them as type coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought about it, but that ship has probably sailed.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file