Options

Favorite old TV show?

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@markj111 said:

@dallasactuary said:
    If you are a bad person, and are sent to Hell, you will sit on a couch for all eternity facing a television. On one channel you can watch Samantha Bee, on the other channel you can watch Stephen Colbert. If you turn the TV off, the couch starts on fire. I would, of course, turn off the TV, but still, the thought of sitting on a flaming couch for all eternity is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I like both.

You can pretty much murder and plunder to your heart's content, then; Satan has nothing stronger in his arsenal than those two.

According to Denis Leary (who may end up there for stealing Bill Hicks’ act), there’s a room where they just play Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb for eons and eons.

So, I may choose Bee and C.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    According to Denis Leary (who may end up there for stealing Bill Hicks’ act), there’s a room where they just play Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb for eons and eons.

So, I may choose Bee and C.

Shadow Dancing, according to science, is 1/2,558,179,367th as annoying as Samantha Bee.

Is there a word for being really, really stupid yet believing that you are really, really smart? If there isn't, there should be, so I propose "colbert".

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Is there a word for being really, really stupid yet believing that you are really, really smart? If there isn't, there should be, so I propose "colbert".

I propose Pro Bono.

What?

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:

I propose Pro Bono.

What?

He died when he was skiing and hit a tree

• Options

He went pro ?
    Was it sunny?

• Options

The part of Carson’s genius was that he was always apolitical. A politician might be woven into some monologue jokes but usually not at their expense, per se. The person had to veer into pop culture - to be talked about by everyone in the country - and even then the jokes were not abusive and it was never pertaining to policy or the outright mockery we see today; in his time, Carson knew where the line was for the American audience better than any performer except maybe Bob Hope.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson knew where the line was for the American audience better than any performer except maybe Bob Hope.

And his audience was many times larger as a result. I don't know anyone politically to the right of center that watches any late night shows anymore, nobody to the right of Bernie Sanders who can stomach Colbert, and nobody to the right of Stalin who can watch Samantha Bee for more than 15 seconds. They are all speaking, or in Bee's case shrieking, inside the same leftist echo chamber and anyone with an independent thought is definitely not welcome.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020 8:48PM

When one experiences the misfortune of descending to Hell's seventh gate, this song will be on a continuous loop.

https://youtu.be/Xb6l38eP-4w

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

The Real McCoys
    Leave it to Beaver
    Sanford & Son
    Dragnet 50s version
    Jeff’s Collie (later changed to lassie)
    Soupy Sales

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't watched one since Leno went off the air. Tried to several times but just not worth my time.

• Options

Depending on your provider, there’s a network called Antenna TV that airs Carson nightly at 10pm. Hardcore fans of the show know too great a percentage of the pre-1975 shows are gone; All the networks, including NBC, reused tape in those days and obliterated a LOT of classic programming. But that’s still a lot of great work in the second half of his career. There are some surviving episodes from prior but mostly ones sent to the Armed Forces overseas, and certain episodes deemed ‘instant’ classics; there’s a few ‘fan copies’ that will surface; acquired through NBC connections.

One great feature - you forget this stuff - is the way commercial breaks would work. There’d often be plugs by Johnny or Ed going into and out of commercials.

“...that’s true, that’s true. Ok, will you stay with me? Great. Folks at home, we’l be right back after this commercial break, and speaking of breaks, when I need a break there’s nothing that hits the spot quite like an ice cold, refreshing Budweiser beer. It’s the king of beers. And now a word from the folks at Anheuser-Busch...”

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on your provider, there’s a network called Antenna TV that airs Carson nightly at 10pm. Hardcore fans of the show know too great a percentage of the pre-1975 shows are gone; All the networks, including NBC, reused tape in those days and obliterated a LOT of classic programming. But that’s still a lot of great work in the second half of his career. There are some surviving episodes from prior but mostly ones sent to the Armed Forces overseas, and certain episodes deemed ‘instant’ classics; there’s a few ‘fan copies’ that will surface; acquired through NBC connections.

One great feature - you forget this stuff - is the way commercial breaks would work. There’d often be plugs by Johnny or Ed going into and out of commercials.

“...that’s true, that’s true. Ok, will you stay with me? Great. Folks at home, we’l be right back after this commercial break, and speaking of breaks, when I need a break there’s nothing that hits the spot quite like an ice cold, refreshing Budweiser beer. It’s the king of beers. And now a word from the folks at Anheuser-Busch...”

Johnny spoke of those tapes being recorded over and he was pi$$ed! If I remember correctly he was particularly upset over the first show he did with Groucho Marx.

https://www.johnnycarson.com/blogs/news/johnny-carsons-debut-on-the-tonight-show-55-years-ago

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sitting here right now watching Hee Haw !

Jealous ?

• Options

I searched the the world over and thought i found true love.......... you met another and pppppppppp you were gone

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Jealous ?

Actually, yes, I am.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@bronco2078 said:

Jealous ?

Actually, yes, I am.

I totally forgot barbi benton was a hee haw gal

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@bronco2078 said:

Jealous ?

Actually, yes, I am.

I totally forgot barbi benton was a hee haw gal

OMG beautiful beautiful woman!

I remember as a youngster asking my dad why he would watch this stupid show. A couple of years later I understood completely ;-)

NURSE GOODBODY!!!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Selleck turned 75 yesterday. I know how much everyone here likes Tom Selleck, so here's to you Tom, Happy Birthday!!!!

• Options

I like magnum PI ! the new and the old versions actually.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

uncle hugh used to do push-ups on barbi

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    I like magnum PI ! the new and the old versions actually.

Yes, I am also a magnum PI fan. I also enjoy blue bloods.

• Options

The jokes on hee haw are killing me !

they do the one liners where they pop up in the corn and say a joke and drop back down :D

id give my right arm to be a major league baseball pitcher :#

id give a millon dollars to be free of money problems !

• Options

How did he get through this whole bit ? I bet this was the inspiration for the pig latin lover skit on the ben stiller show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcUc2Tk0GQ

• Options

Feautible!

• Options
    edited January 31, 2020 11:54AM

More hee Haw ! Tell me Pat boone isn't Tom Brady's dad

at around minute 3:30 is forum member @johhnycache

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv13g44ROaw

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Carson knew where the line was for the American audience better than any performer except maybe Bob Hope.

And his audience was many times larger as a result. I don't know anyone politically to the right of center that watches any late night shows anymore, nobody to the right of Bernie Sanders who can stomach Colbert, and nobody to the right of Stalin who can watch Samantha Bee for more than 15 seconds. They are all speaking, or in Bee's case shrieking, inside the same leftist echo chamber and anyone with an independent thought is definitely not welcome.

When Carson was on, there were only 3 channels. I enjoyed him, and was disappointed to learn that he was a sleaze ball in real life.

• Options

@markj111 said:

@dallasactuary said:

When Carson was on, there were only 3 channels. I enjoyed him, and was disappointed to learn that he was a sleaze ball in real life.

How was he a sleaze ball? I have heard that when he was young, he was a very nasty drunk, but I think he ended up going on the wagon.

What I heard was he was a very private person with few friends and not into the "Hollywood" scene.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@markj111 said:

@dallasactuary said:

How was he a sleaze ball? I have heard that when he was young, he was a very nasty drunk, but I think he ended up going on the wagon.

What I heard was he was a very private person with few friends and not into the "Hollywood" scene.

A few years ago, His attorney, Henry Bushkin, wrote a book that got deeper into the private Carson. It’s a good read albeit not always a flattering one for the King of Late Night...

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I cannot name just one as there is soooo many.
    Off the the top of my head I would say.......
    Gilligan's Island
    F Troop

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Continuing.............
    The Brady Bunch
    Get Smart
    Hogans Heroes - still watch on METV
    Land of the Giants
    Time Tunnel
    Voyage to the bottom of the Sea

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Gunsmoke.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as though Bronco is in a timeout

• Options

Anyone remember "The East side Kids".

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are on TCM almost every Saturday morning.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

• Options

I remember watching SKY KING every Saturday morning. I believe the opening was
    "Out of the blue in the western sky comes SKY KING.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

With his niece Penny?

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Some of my faves (in no particular order):

WKRP in Cincinnati
    The Carol Burnett Show
    Quincy, M.D.
    SCTV
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    Sanford and Son
    All in the Family
    The Twilight Zone
    Cheers

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options

@markj111 said:

@JRR300 said:

With his niece Penny?

I believe that's correct. Good memory.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

INSP has a lot of vintage Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive and several old Western movies. I realize that there are a whole lot of Gunsmoke episodes I've never seen.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

A few that come to mind:
    Jeopardy!
    I Dream of Jeannie
    Cheers
    Saturday Night Live

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ghoul ( not in many areas)
    Soupy Sales ( not in many areas)
    Sir Graves Ghastly ( not in many areas)

Batman
    Lost in Space
    Petticoat Junction
    I Dream of Jeanie

On I Dream of Jeanie I tried to sit real close to the TV thinking I might be able to see through Barbara Eden's outfit. I think my Dad taught me that.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Not diverse enough? Did he forget Hoss, Little Joe, and himself had different mothers? Hop Sing added to the diversity.

And Lorne Greene was Canadian!!!!!!!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows that my family seemed to watch all the time and now I sort of wonder why we always watched them.

LaVerne and Shirley
    Mannix
    Alice
    Kojak
    Partridge family
    Little House on the prairie
    The Waltons

Best show no one has mentioned yet...... Laugh in.

• Options

There was a detective show with a very portly guy that I can't remember the name.
    One time a bad guy pretty much emptied his gun on the fat man but he just kept coming
    and tackled him and I believe wrestled the gun out of his hand. Don't know if the bullets just
    weren't penetrating all the blubber or what was going on there.
    Can't remember the name of the sturdily built fellow or the show.

That was another show we watched heavily. For some reason it was hugely popular. He was Big time big.

• Options

Found it. Cannon was the tv show. Actually wasn't a bad show as I recall.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2021 10:26PM

The Wonderful World of Disney always on Sunday and brought to you by The Mutual of Omaha.

!    
                                                                                                     *

• Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Cant believe nobody has mentioned (that I noticed anyway)
    The Carrol Burnette Show.
    Tim Conway was an INCREDIBLE GENIOUS.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sanford And Son. Redd Foxx was so entertaining! It's the big one Elizabeth!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Millionaire
    The Twilight Zone
    Uncle Milty
    Red Skelton.
    Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts. (The original American Idol) Those were the good old days.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph