Home Sports Talk
Options

Favorite old TV show?

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Battlestar Galactica
    Dukes of Hazard

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to love Land of the Lost, and Creature Double Feature, not sure if it was on tv outside of Boston Area or not.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2020 8:52AM

@DrBuster said:
    Not crazy old but....

Miami Vice always had my attention.

I liked this show. I recently caught part of an episode. I also really liked Hunter.

I think that, especially if you are rewatching older shows, it really helps you appreciate them if you have a lot of perspective, awareness of the time period, etc. There is no reason to dismiss anything old, just like anything new should not be readily dismissed. I try to tell my kids to look back at older music, tv, movies, etc and try to appreciate them. But you can't just compare them to things from today. It helps to have some backstory.

Edit to add: similar to discussions about different eras in sports. For instance, my son was asking me why all of the actors in some old movie (I forget) seemed like they were shouting or maybe doing a play. I explained about how a lot of them came from a theater background. And also how sound technology is very different. Now actors can be so quiet, and sometimes I can barely hear them. Or they are overdubbing the dialogue, etc.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taxi was cutting edge and funny.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

I love that epsode. The little old con woman that sold Barney the piece of junk!😂😂

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Rookies
    Swat
    Rockford Files
    Charlies Angels
    TJ Hooker
    Starsky and Hutch
    Bionic Woman
    Six Million Dollar Man
    Planet of the Apes
    Incredible Hulk
    Kojak
    Adam 12
    Streets Of San Francisco
    The Ropers

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Streets of San Francisco was a quality detective show. Douglas and Malden worked well together.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@DrBuster said:
    Not crazy old but....

Miami Vice always had my attention.

I liked this show. I recently caught part of an episode. I also really liked Hunter.

Exotic cars, boats, ladies, action....crocket and tubbs was friday night money!

• Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Loved the Rockford Files and The Carol Burnett Show as a kid in the 70's.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

anyone mention Leave it to Beaver?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes. The Beaver. Gee what memories.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder Years was a good one for me. Back further was Twilight Zone and Honeymooners. They also ran back to back late nights here in the mid 80s

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1966CUDA said:
    Wonder Years was a good one for me. Back further was Twilight Zone and Honeymooners. They also ran back to back late nights here in the mid 80s

Wonder Years - great call

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Bought the Wonder Years boxed set with all episodes last summer...watched a few episodes every nite for the summer!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Columbo/Wonder Years crossover movie was pretty good too ;)

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    That Columbo/Wonder Years crossover movie was pretty good too ;)

You keep using that word.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020 12:58PM

@LarkinCollector said:
    The Joy of Painting

Damn straight it's Bob Ross Chia Pet ! Growing Right Now !!

yeah. the goo seeds kinda went all over the place. Chia Pets are HARD.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2020 4:09PM

@Horse said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    The Joy of Painting

Damn straight it's Bob Ross Chia Pet ! Growing Right Now !!

yeah. the goo seeds kinda went all over the place. Chia Pets are HARD.

“You might think chia pets are hard but they’re not and everything is alright. Those are just happy little sprouts...”

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

add Diff'rent Strokes to my list

• Options

I saw Father Knows Best and Donna Reed, so how about Ozzie and Harriet and the Nelson family.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old shows many,
    Q:
    Although if you consider my new remote, that gets my vote.
    WHAT?

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@JRR300 said:
    MAS*H without question
    There is no other acceptable answer

Well yes there is!!!

https://youtu.be/mjdRgBAY278

do you remember what happened to old pernell? He wanted more money so they literally killed him. Made him a murderer or horse thief or summat and rubbed him out so he could never come back :D

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Perry Mason.> @bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@JRR300 said:
    MAS*H without question

Well yes there is!!!

do you remember what happened to old pernell? He wanted more money so they literally killed him. Made him a murderer or horse thief or summat and rubbed him out so he could never come back :D

His leaving had nothing to do with money.

• Options

Streets of San Francisco was a quality detective show. Douglas and Malden worked well together. > @bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@JRR300 said:
    MAS*H without question

Well yes there is!!!

Tough to tell the fake news from the real stuff anymore...but i had read that Roberts was dissatisfied that the cast was not diverse enough and walked. Don't doubt that the payday was a factor as well. If only Hopsing could ride a horse while emptying a six shooter, the show might be in its sixty second year.

• Options

Not diverse enough? Did he forget Hoss, Little Joe, and himself had different mothers? Hop Sing added to the diversity.

Ralph

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Streets of San Francisco was a quality detective show. Douglas and Malden worked well together. > @bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@JRR300 said:
    MAS*H without question

Well yes there is!!!

Tough to tell the fake news from the real stuff anymore...but i had read that Roberts was dissatisfied that the cast was not diverse enough and walked. Don't doubt that the payday was a factor as well. If only Hopsing could ride a horse while emptying a six shooter, the show might be in its sixty second year.

He didn't like the scripts, he did an interview and said the show was not challenging as an actor and of course he had some offers to do other stuff.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Not easy to live on a ranch with 4 other dudes, I suppose.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

LITTLE jOE GOT AL THE LOVE INERESTS

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Hoss had a girlfriend once. I think she was blind.

They always had blind people on the show.

• Options

The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson might be the greatest and most influential show in the history of TV. It is also directly and indirectly responsible for the creation of Late Night (Letterman, Conan et al), Late Show (Letterman/Colbert), Late Late (Kilborn, Ferguson et al) and Saturday Night Live.

• Options

Agree. Carson was a tremendous talent and was surrounded by a very strong sideman and band leader. As important was the A listers that wanted to be on his show each night.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson might be the greatest and most influential show in the history of TV. It is also directly and indirectly responsible for the creation of Late Night (Letterman, Conan et al), Late Show (Letterman/Colbert), Late Late (Kilborn, Ferguson et al) and Saturday Night Live.

carson would vomit at the sight of the present late night shows , they are terrible

• Options

The late night shows these days are pure garbage. The only way I would watch them is if you paid me.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

carson would vomit at the sight of the present late night shows , they are terrible

I don’t mean to diminish his successors but a big part of it is Carson had loads of actual talent. He could display incredible tact, silliness and intelligence - seamlessly moving between them- in a 5 minute span. He was a great joke deliverer and a great interviewer and was very quick witted. That combination - to be excellent both rehearsed and improvisational is exceedingly rare these days.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    The late night shows these days are pure garbage. The only way I would watch them is if you paid me.

To each his own. I really like Colbert.

• Options

Fallon is ok in a deadpan sort of way. Have only seen the show a few times. The golden age is over.

• Options

please all they do now is whine about Trump for the whole show , bunch of no talent losers

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    please all they do now is whine about Trump for the whole show , bunch of no talent losers

If you are a bad person, and are sent to Hell, you will sit on a couch for all eternity facing a television. On one channel you can watch Samantha Bee, on the other channel you can watch Stephen Colbert. If you turn the TV off, the couch starts on fire. I would, of course, turn off the TV, but still, the thought of sitting on a flaming couch for all eternity is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anyone here ever see Jack Paar interview Emmett Freud? LMAO at those.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanted Dead or Alive
    Broken Arrow
    The Rebel

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Grew up enjoying Carson. The other night I thought I would tune in and see what the late night talk shows were doing.

Looked at the three that were on and all they did was bitch about the political issues.

I turned it off.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Carnac the Magnificent!

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@bronco2078 said:

If you are a bad person, and are sent to Hell, you will sit on a couch for all eternity facing a television. On one channel you can watch Samantha Bee, on the other channel you can watch Stephen Colbert. If you turn the TV off, the couch starts on fire. I would, of course, turn off the TV, but still, the thought of sitting on a flaming couch for all eternity is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I like both.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Johnny Carson did a fair amount of political material as well. However it was all good natured fun that even those getting the ribbing enjoyed.

And Carson did it equally among all politicians.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markj111 said:

@dallasactuary said:

I like both.

You can pretty much murder and plunder to your heart's content, then; Satan has nothing stronger in his arsenal than those two.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2020 6:23PM

@stevek said:
    Johnny Carson did a fair amount of political material as well. However it was all good natured fun that even those getting the ribbing enjoyed.

And Carson did it equally among all politicians.

Yes. It was Wayne Newton though that git agitated by the carson schtik.

• Options

Perhaps my perspective is tainted a bit because of my age but I think the Late Nite Hosts pretty much all suck. Well, maybe not suck but with more rehearsals, more training, and a bit more experience they can work their way up to sucks.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Perhaps my perspective is tainted a bit because of my age but I think the Late Nite Hosts pretty much all suck. Well, maybe not suck but with more rehearsals, more training, and a bit more experience they can work their way up to sucks.

I liked letterman and craig ferguson after carson finished up , and leno not very much at the time . The current crop has me ready to start a go fund me page for leno to come back and save us from these whiny bitches. The 2 hour trump hate every night by these turds is ridiculous . I don't even blame them personally , I found them funny enough before 2016 but when he won they were all told to do this garbage. There is no way they chose to do it themselves its not even humorous . Its not comedy its political indoctrination