Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Vintage cards or modern cards

I think there just is something different about holing a vintage card. It don't matter baseball, basketball, or football.
a card like these for example.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

For me it is about the history of a vintage card. Somewhere along the line a kid had to open that pack and either treated it like it was gold or enjoyed it for what it was worth, a picture of their hero with information in which they can learn about him. Did they then keep the card or trade it away? Did they seem to get a crap ton of Hal Smith's when they wanted just one Mickey Mantle?

I just know how much nostalgia my cards hold for me and there is no doubt that every vintage card that I add to my collection has a story to tell and it is fun to speculate just where your Gibson or Staubach above came from.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • nebishnebish Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

I saw a Baker Mayfield card sold for $1926, an ungraded 2018 jersey patch and auto card! Crazy. Seems it would be better to spread that money out among vintage HOF QBs. But to each their own.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

The modern cards are just getting crazy. You got a parallel for every color in the spectrum, you've got refractors, you've got serial numbered cards, auto cards, and it's just insane. If you want to collect a player these days, you have to track down 15 different cards of that player in each set.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vintage! Modern cards are overproduced, too many gimmicks and in 5 years 99% of the modern cards will be worthless. Vintage cards only go up in value.

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

To each his own, but nothing beats holding 30-50 year old packs or cards in my hands for me. Just thinking about the history and stories behind them fascinates me.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Both. I enjoy vintage for their simplicity and connection to my early collecting days, but have also continued to enjoy cards to this day, somewhat keeping up with the times. I don't buy packs anymore, but I will pick up select singles. My modern collecting has essentially turned into Steve Garvey and autographed cards mostly. I can only imagine what it might have been like to have autographs in card packs when I was a kid. That is what makes modern so great for me.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

My hearts always been in vintage football, but all 3 cylinders of the hobby are hitting right now. Vintage / Modern and even the junk era has had a recent swell of new and old collectors dipping back into those unlimited boxes of stuff that have been stuffed in your closet collecting dust for a couple of decades.

It's a good time to collect anything cards .. and there's no right or wrong way to collect.

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

vintage for me the shinny new stuff does nothing for me

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    Vintage! Modern cards are overproduced, too many gimmicks and in 5 years 99% of the modern cards will be worthless. Vintage cards only go up in value.

The 99% worthless thing pretty much fits every year and product ever produced. Age can have nostalgic value which bump up a price, but in reality year over year it's always been the 1% of star power that retains and increases in value. Unopened is funky in that it;s the vintage unopened that has the value. That 1968 Topps sealed box would still have 99% junk in it.

Opinion only.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020 12:26PM

Modern cards will be vintage eventually. There are many modern players (Tom Brady for example) who have much more start power compared to most of the vintage era athletes. You going to leave these players in the dust just because they played in a different era? I think those who think this way are missing the boat. Not all modern cards are overproduced, gimmick, junk.

Besides, what's not to enjoy with something like this:

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer vintage but very happy for the hobby that there are so many new modern collectors. If you look at the Pop reports the most graded years in baseball would be 1989, 1975 and 2018. There is approximately 30K more cards graded for 2018 than 1952. Also, about 75% of 2018 are graded 10's.... under 10% of 1952 are graded 8's. Just using 1952 since it is a widely collected set amongst vintage collectors.... I personally don't collect sets. I prefer vintage for the nostalgia part but didn't dismiss the likes of Brady, Manning, Lebron, Jordan or Jeter in my PC. Agreed that there is no right way or wrong way to collect...… just have fun and be happy.

As shouldabeena10 says, all areas of the hobby are surging. I haven't been active since 2010/2011 and I am really surprised at some of interest and prices things I look at are bringing. Seems like a good time to be selling! Since I am a buyer I struggle sometimes knowing what I was paying for some items 10 years ago compared to now. But hopefully that speaks well for the future value of our collectables.

For me, I like the nostalgia of the vintage memorabilia. I thoroughly enjoy today's NFL but have zero desire to collect, or even try to understand the different products that came out 90s-current.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:

@pab1969 said:

The 99% worthless thing pretty much fits every year and product ever produced. Age can have nostalgic value which bump up a price, but in reality year over year it's always been the 1% of star power that retains and increases in value. Unopened is funky in that it;s the vintage unopened that has the value. That 1968 Topps sealed box would still have 99% junk in it.

Opinion only.

I understand your point. To each his own. However, I would rather have the 99% junk cards from 1968 than 1998.

Time will tell on something like that. I am not familiar with the issue, but is that a limited version of the base card? If he makes it big, there will be nothing not to like. If he becomes the next Harold Minor or Glenn Robinson or similar (you can tell when I was really collecting basketball) , then there will be a lot not to like, especially if you were buying now!

To each their own, but rookie speculation is not something in the modern arena that appeals to me personally. If I was selling modern over vintage to others, I would mention the technology that has brought us some very interesting cards (die cuts, vastly colorful cards or varying materials (cel, lenticular, wood, metal, leather, etc.), game used for what they are now worth, certified autographs and other advances that have made many of these little rectangles more than just a piece of cardboard with a player picture on it.

On the other hand, there is just a pure beauty of something like a 1974 Topps Tarkenton. They don't make them like this anymore, although not sure anyone would care if they did.

@CommemKing said:
    Modern cards will be vintage eventually. There are many modern players (Tom Brady for example) who have much more start power compared to most of the vintage era athletes. You going to leave these players in the dust just because they played in a different era? I think those who think this way are missing the boat. Not all modern cards are overproduced, gimmick, junk.

Besides, what's not to enjoy with something like this:

@Horse said:

@pab1969 said:

Opinion only.

I've seen what some PSA9 and 10s are going for...common cards, several hundreds to several thousands of dollars, many multiples over 'book' value for a common, non star - or what might otherwise be considered "junk". I don't believe that any commons from this era are going to be selling for that.

edited January 14, 2020 10:54PM

This just sold for $3,250, just a random semi-star (some might consider him a common) in the 1966 set:

This one just sold for $1,470, again a good player, but another common from the 1962 set:

This one is my favorite, a short print, the Vikings first ever draft pick, but a common all the same out of the '62 set...ready? $9,200

That is what makes vintage unopened wax so valuable, it's not just the stars that drive it, it is potential for very high grade cards with low populations that people pay big bucks for, even the "junk".

• MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I’m 95 percent vintage, 5 percent modern. My modern is limited to Heritage. Works for me!

• Vintage cards are my preference, but then again I'm 52, so there's no wonder why I'd lean that way. Cards "back then" of course were meant to be collected as a fun hobby for kids and it was just that, fun. Nobody ever thought of it as a booming industry or one day referring to our cards as a commodity. Unlike today however, though still fun in many ways, modern cards are more geared towards earning huge dividends and it's not just manufacturers or dealers in the game. With the advent of e-commerce and sites like eBay, mercari, and Craigslist for example, small timers like us can get into the sports collectibles game. Anyone here that's recently submitted cards to PSA should know that the bottleneck they're experiencing right now is mostly modern card submissions. All strata of collector prospecting for the magical 10. All cards have their place, but an old vintage that's survived the test of time is just cool to own.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 10:56AM

I laughed at the notion of "vintage" back in 2004 and I still laugh at it today. The biggest difference in that 16 year gap is that my 1978 Topps fav was considered modern crap in 2004. Now it's considered vintage. I laugh.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vintage. Although some of the new stuff is beautiful!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

BOTH

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 3:01PM

I sold this card for my brother in law 2 years ago.
    I am in to pre 80 stuff only although I do have a few of the post 80 sets.
    I am very old school as far as collecting goes.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not pre-war, it's not vintage. Oh, and ...

@UFFDAH said:
    BOTH

... is correct B)

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

while I do both, my appetite for new issues is going, going, gone'ish.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the concept of the two being separate is blurring. I search for prewar, vintage (pre-1970), 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and modern. I think the 1970s are the only decade I'm not currently hunting.

I love that modern has moved away from the $500/box with 4 cards or the boxes that people open and only look for the one "hit." Base cards are back. It's been 30 years but people are actually hyped about base again. It's quite refreshing and the main reason I got drawn into modern.

Arthur

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is an ages-old question. Speaking personally, my answer has changed over the years. Since about 1993, I have been vintage only. I am still that way with football, though I have expanded into collecting some modern cards of Johnny Robinson and Lance Alworth, my two favorite players. With my lacrosse collection I begin at the beginning (1878) and go through to modern stuff.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • My first vintage Ted Williams. What’s not to love. Bright colors and great focus. Presents well for a PSA 1.

Great discussions in here everyone. Nice cards as well.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like both modern and vintage.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I collect what I like. Yankees cards from modern year to way back.
    Often independent of value. My theme for modern is usually what card will be on the PSA set registry.
    I try not to get lost in spending to much on modern.

The scarce high demand modern cards are where he money is. You can buy a panini prizm basketball RC for $100 and have it worth $500 in a years time.

However there is nothing like holding a 100 year old baseball card in your hand

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

My criteria is pretty simple as well. Do I like it and can I afford it?

@softparade said:
    I laughed at the notion of "vintage" back in 2004 and I still laugh at it today. The biggest difference in that 16 year gap is that my 1978 Topps fav was considered modern crap in 2004. Now it's considered vintage. I laugh.

I'd say maybe 84 Topps was considered modern crap in 2006 and now it is beginning to see the vintage effect. 78 has always been considered by most collectors to be vintage, ever since the modern/vintage divide seems to have settled pretty much at 1980 for the majority of collectors.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Vintage all the way. Modern can be fun at times and as expensive or more when trying to collect all the different variations.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2020 7:21PM

cf. "The Battle of the Books" by Jonathan Swift (1704)

Andy

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

@softparade said:

I'd say maybe 84 Topps was considered modern crap in 2006 and now it is beginning to see the vintage effect. 78 has always been considered by most collectors to be vintage, ever since the modern/vintage divide seems to have settled pretty much at 1980 for the majority of collectors.

I fully agree.I am not real fond of cards that are post 1980 although I do have a few sets which I will put on the auction block soon.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

I hope everyone finds what they love to collect...modern, vintage, or otherwise!

For me, what I’ve found is I’m drawn to cards that AT THE TIME THEY WERE PRODUCED were not typically thought to be “investments”.

So, baseball before the junk era, basketball from pre-88, etc.