Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first numismatic gold!

Picked this up today. 1927 20 Franc gold. Condition looked good to me, hate the plastic though. I think I got a good price to boot!

Here are some pics.

Please don't reply with "fake" even if it's true, please lie to me. (Insert sense of humor here).

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2020 1:39PM

Nice! I’ve had a few of those over the years. It’s like bullion but with a nice design. Wouldn’t mind having a few of them back. Gold was much cheaper back then...

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is where I started with these and the Angels.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2020 1:46PM

I read in a couple places the Nazi's used the Swiss as their bankers and that the Nazi's arranged for the Swiss to strike 20 Franc gold coins of this design to use stolen holocaust gold and to date the coins in the 1920's to hide their origin. Can anyone confirm this or add any details?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Thanks all!

I know it's not a rare one, but didn't realize it was basically bullion. Kind of disappointed now. It's a new direction for me.

They also had a 1907s double eagle in an old PCGS holder AU 58. My lack of knowledge made me hold off on that one. I want it though!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice and congrats. nice score :)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one ballistic! Don’t be disappointed at all. IMO, world gold is a bullion sleeper. No crazy premiums attached to it. Plentiful inventory of it still available.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cherry hath popped. Look out cherries! :D

• Options

@ballistic_kennedy said:
    Thanks all!

I know it's not a rare one, but didn't realize it was basically bullion. Kind of disappointed now. It's a new direction for me.

They also had a 1907s double eagle in an old PCGS holder AU 58. My lack of knowledge made me hold off on that one. I want it though!

Oh don’t worry about that! I didn’t say that to make the coin any less fun. Like I said, I like the design and has about six of them once. I like them. And they are numismatic and a relatively affordable way to get gold. Enjoy it!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold coins are always nice to have....the foreign gold is usually very nicely designed....Not as liquid if you were stacking, but they are really nice to have in a collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I try to read and learn and not bombard with dumb questions but give me this one.

I see no issues with removing the above coin from the holder, is that correct? Thanks!

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I read in a couple places the Nazi's used the Swiss as their bankers and that the Nazi's arranged for the Swiss to strike 20 Franc gold coins of this design to use stolen holocaust gold and to date the coins in the 1920's to hide their origin. Can anyone confirm this or add any details?

Every country used the used the Swiss banking system during WWII. I doubt that there is much to the story about the coins.

• Options

@ballistic_kennedy said:
    I try to read and learn and not bombard with dumb questions but give me this one.

I see no issues with removing the above coin from the holder, is that correct? Thanks!

None at all if you can do it safely. I’d probably put it in a nice flip or 2x2.

• Options
    ballistic_kennedyballistic_kennedy Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2020 11:11PM

Done, in a 2x2.

Is it weird that now I need a tube to fill with Sovereigns?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy these as well as French 20 Fr and British sovereigns and half-sovereigns when they are priced attractively (essentially at bullion value or a shade under) and think they are great for acquiring small, attractive gold coins in larger quantities. I don't save mine in tubes or 2x2 holders, but simply have them in a little cloth bag. These are great.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, I happened to see a transaction at a Chicago coin show where a Vietnamese lady was selling a 'roll' of 50 sovereigns in a plastic roll-style container to a dealer. Memory is imperfect, but I seem to remember that it was fifty coins. I pondered whether someone in Vietnam might have had French coins, not British ones, but sovereigns sticks in my mind. Before Troy ounce coins and fractionals, sovereigns were relatively popular (because the weight was close to 1/4 Troy ounce and the premium was less than a $5 gold).

Myself, I would put sovereigns in airtites and might prefer slabs, but I am very picky on condition. Slabs also give me some greater reassurance about authenticity - fake sovereigns are certainly out there.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s Gold! Cannot beat gold. Enjoy @ballistic_kennedy.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love me some foreign gold, francs/sovs are great for the price.

• Options

@ballistic_kennedy said:
    Done, in a 2x2.

Is it weird that now I need a tube to fill with Sovereigns?

It’s a disease we all know well! I have half a tube of Morgans and Peace dollars. Nothing special, just nicely circulated. I want to fill up the rest of the tube!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my first foreign gold.
    I posted it here about 12 years
    ago and quickly learned it was 'just bullion'.
    No problem. I still have it and like it.
    Lots of foreign gold bullion is just plain attractive IMO

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Probably one of the prettiest foreign gold coins out there. You will have to pick up a French Rooster and Angel next!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilmcoins said:
    Congrats. Probably one of the prettiest foreign gold coins out there. You will have to pick up a French Rooster and Angel next!

The older Napoleon gold coins are very historic and can also be bought near melt value in circulated condition.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

It’s worth noting that most circulated US gold is basically just bullion as well. It’s more a comment about how much numismatic value it has over the gold content. It isn’t a comment about enjoyment or awesomeness. Heck, I like silver Mexican Onzas and they’re just bullion. But they sure tone awesomely.

• Options

Nice gold coin to get your feet wet with for sure. Can't beat foreign gold if you appreciate the art in their design and like to explore the history behind them. Swiss, British, French, Belgium, Swedish, Danish, Germany, Italy, Russia, etc., and the list goes on. It's my favorite area to concentrate on and premiums aren't a killer. Plus the 20Franc size is perfect to collect and display (IMHO). US Gold is cool too, but the variety of design just isn't there like Europe.

• Options

@ilmcoins said:

Yep, a rooster is on the way as of yesterday. Can't wait!

@ilmcoins

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is always awesome 👏

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy these and roosters, sovereigns etc on eBay with eBuck offers for 5-7% under spot. Good way to amass small amounts of gold with cool history and designs.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I buy these and roosters, sovereigns etc on eBay with eBuck offers for 5-7% under spot. Good way to amass small amounts of gold with cool history and designs.

I have never used eBucks, may have to check into it.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2020 5:29PM

My first gold was this dos pos coin

It was a cute coin.

Sad I sold it 😞

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file