Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold’s outlook for 2020

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2020 7:34PM in Precious Metals

priced in gold, in 2019 the dollar fell 15.5% and in silver 13%

"In the absence of foreign demand for new US Treasuries and of a rise in the savings rate the US budget deficit can only be financed by monetary inflation. The subject which will begin to dominate monetary policy in 2020 is who will fund escalating government deficits. At the moment it is on few investors’ radar, but it is bound to dawn on markets that a growing budget deficit in America will be financed almost entirely by monetary inflation. . ."

Feel free to use this thread to post other 2020 PM prognostications.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOLD™ GIT SUM!!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 8:10AM

Yes...eventually.

Japan has not relied on foreign buyers of their debt, has a high savings rates, massive budget deficits and......little inflation for 30 years.

How long we gotta wait? We aint gettin no younger. A stack is worthless unless we can convert it into life.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@cohodk said:

A stack is worthless unless we can convert it into life.

Dormant insurance provides value. Peace of mind has a lot of value.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    Yes...eventually.

Japan has not relied on foreign buyers of their debt, has a high savings rates, massive budget deficits and......little inflation for 30 years.

Japan does not need foreign buyers of it's debt because it's people have a different mindset on savings. They are a nation of savers and because of this Japan has local buyers of its debt. On the other hand, the US is a nation of spenders leaving the nation with no choice but to monetize its debt. Look for legislation requiring investment in government securities by government pensions and eventually by private pension funds and anything else backstopped by a government bailout program.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    Yes...eventually.

Japan does not need foreign buyers of it's debt because it's people have a different mindset on savings. They are a nation of savers and because of this Japan has local buyers of its debt. On the other hand, the US is a nation of spenders leaving the nation with no choice but to monetize its debt. Look for legislation requiring investment in government securities by government pensions and eventually by private pension funds and anything else backstopped by a government bailout program.

In your previous post you quoted the US as having a higher saving rate. Now you say we are all spenders. Make up your mind dude.

The largest holders of US debt are US investors. No legislation needed. However, if so, that would only make US debt more stable.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Lets just hope that piece of mind is not based on false promise. Piece of mind can also come at great cost. How much are you willing to pay?

• Options

@cohodk said:

In your previous post you quoted the US as having a higher saving rate. Now you say we are all spenders. Make up your mind dude.

What is said in a link I post is not the same as me saying it. Just because I post a link does not mean I agree with it. Such links may be of value to others. I prefer differing opinions, it provides more input for my own beliefs.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2020 9:50AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Lets just hope that piece of mind is not based on false promise. Piece of mind can also come at great cost. How much are you willing to pay?

Are premiums on $1 M in term life insurance too much? Not to me. We all hold different values. Part of what makes us individuals.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2020 10:16AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

What is said in a link I post is not the same as me saying it. Just because I post a link does not mean I agree with it. Such links may be of value to others. I prefer differing opinions, it provides more input for my own beliefs.

Oh ok. I prefer to write or post what i believe. ;) I also prefer my beliefs to be rooted in fact. But like you said, thats what makes us individuals.

• Options

Exposure to differing opinions helps fo> @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Oh ok. I prefer to write or post what i believe. ;) I also prefer my beliefs to be rooted in fact. But like you said, thats what makes us individuals.

Exposure to differing opinions helps form healthy individual opinion. You should try it.

• Options

PS prediction for year end $1670. Thanks!

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    PS prediction for year end $1670. Thanks!

higher, much higher

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see gold spiking towards $2000 this year on various kinds of "news" stories.

And then I could see it falling back to near the cost of production and fabrication and marketing of novelty collector fetish objects. ($1200 or so) as mining ramps up, scrap recovery rises, and investors take profits.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited January 5, 2020 12:43PM

@derryb said:
    Exposure to differing opinions helps fo> @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Exposure to differing opinions helps form healthy individual opinion. You should try it.

I value all opinions based on fact. Try providing some. Misinformation tends to lead to ill-formed opinion. Health cannot be attained via illness.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2020 1:12PM

@cohodk said:

I value all opinions based on fact. Try providing some. Misinformation tends to lead to ill-formed opinion. Health cannot be attained via illness.

I believe that over the years on this forum you have shown you incorrectly believe that opinion differing from yours is not based on fact. Fact is what one believes to be true. Fact is nothing more than perception. Accept the fact that your perception is not perfect. I have.

For the things we cannot see ourselves we have to rely on trust to determine what we believe is fact. You might put trust in CNBC while I may not.

When someone's opinion differs with yours don't be so quick to assume you are never wrong. It's how one learns. It's how one evolves.

And by the way, health can be obtained via illness. That's what vaccinations/flu shots are all about.

Funny how have a discussion with you is like talking to one of my kids. I'll need your social security number for my tax return.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2020 4:40PM

@derryb said:

Fact is what one believes to be true. Fact is nothing more than perception

You win. Its only Jan 5, but you've won quote of the year...maybe the decade.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kitco showing gold opining in Asia up $30 from Friday's NY close.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Was $1588 falling back a bit.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold up $25 as I write.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to take some money of the table. We've been through similar scenarios over the decades.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway ..... :D ...Now THAT is the best financial advice I have seen.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1600+ right now.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

bullish on gold for 2020, I feel comfortable saying $1725 by the end of this year.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will trade in a narrow 10% trading range...$1500 - $1650. Maybe B) ,

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Gold looking good in 1st half 2020. Better in Q2, than Q1.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I feel gold may correct to $1300 if the economy stays strong. I bought all my gold and silver at much cheaper prices, and really don’t watch spot prices anymore. I am in for the long haul. It’s guns and ammo now.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there's something fundamental going on in the precious metals markets now. I think it's not going back to $1,300 any time soon.

Guns & ammo, not a bad idea either.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid my tuition at Creighton Prep in the late sixties flipping coins. Most likely gonna pay for my funeral the same way. About fifteen bucks for a silver dollar.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please somebody, cause another silver spike so I can dump the stuff that's accumulated since the last one. :)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold and silver are slowly and steadily climbing...I like my prediction of $1,725 by end of 2020.

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before this Corona Virus (and I truly hope this epidemic ends soon) gold was rising and interest rates were dropping. Stock market equities are overpriced and everyone is looking for safe havens to park their money. Gold and high yeild bonds. This continues at an enhanced pace during this current health crisis.

Gold could reach $1800-$2000 relatively soon and the 10-year may drop below 1% as cash piles in. Re-fi's are going crazy..

The kicker is Silver. Lagging badly, Silver is getting ready to take off.. Either buy SLV or physical bars, this is the next boom.

JMHO

Collector of Classic US Coins