Home U.S. Coin Forum

What Do You Think Series: 1923-P PCGS MS65 Standing Liberty Quarter

seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2020 9:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments, Thoughts, or Suggestions Please... in Old PCGS Green Holder (OGH):

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Tagged:

Comments

• bcdeluxebcdeluxe Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I'm not crazy about it. It looks to be UNC, but it also looks like there was dip residue on it when it was holdered.

This is a pretty common date/mm, and not difficult to find with a full head as well.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A "C" coin. It does appear to have dip residue.

All glory is fleeting.
  • oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 232 ✭✭✭✭

I like a better strike - with all the rivets on the shield showing. Full head isn't a requirement for my taste - but I do like it close.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

something looks off on it like the date. will come back later and have another look

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys. I may have something a little more interesting next week... a rare date FH... here coming from a Barber quarter guy.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the series. I always thought it had a “Maxfield Parrish” look on the obverse.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

How can you tell without knowing the grade?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 2:22PM

Looks dipped to me, in my humble opinion. Better living through chemistry has failed us again. Pass.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 2:28PM

Textbook ms64, not a FH.......easy coin to grade. (I'm starting off the New Year over confident).

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not FH. Dipped. Likely MS.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

By MY standards (and opinion), slabbed coins with dip residue or fingerprints are viewed negatively. To remove the dip residue it would be necessary to crack out the coin, treat it to remove the dip residue and then pay to have it regraded. It is very possible the coin will look washed out once the dip residue has been removed. Why take the chance with any of this? It is best to pass up coins like this because they make someone else's problem your problem.

All glory is fleeting.

I got a line hook in on a 1918/7-S in FH... never graded before, never auctioned, never reported. Should know more late next week.> @jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

Oh, It is an old green holder PCGS MS65. I am going to stop taking bad cell phone pictures soon. My Christmas present... a new Nikon... should arrive tomorrow. That should help out a bit but here is another pic of what others have said is a blotchy area (very faint, yes, on the coin surface but the camera must have picked that up at the right angle because it is very faint to a human viewer):

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

By MY standards (and opinion), slabbed coins with dip residue or fingerprints are viewed negatively. To remove the dip residue it would be necessary to crack out the coin, treat it to remove the dip residue and then pay to have it regraded. It is very possible the coin will look washed out once the dip residue has been removed. Why take the chance with any of this? It is best to pass up coins like this because they make someone else's problem your problem.

But A, B, C is relative to the grade. Suppose that coin is in an XF holder? [extreme, I know] Are you telling me that's a C XF?

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

But A, B, C is relative to the grade. Suppose that coin is in an XF holder? [extreme, I know] Are you telling me that's a C XF?

When it comes "opinions" there really are no rules. >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite Quarter series. They can be addicting.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
    edited January 20, 2020 2:34PM

Pulled this statement out of Cline 4th Ed. related to the 1923-P in FH: "On some that are slabbed Full Head, the temple area is frequently weak, even nonexistent. Take careful note of weakness in the temple area. This coin is actually much scarcer then previously thought in Full Head." and "Many have a satiny finish and a strong Full Head. Generally, this coin meets normal grading standards. Obverse: Usually well struck, but 50 percent or better are weak around the date." and "When the grading services began, they used a description that read "including the 3 olive leaves in Miss LIberty's Hair" for the Full Head designation. That probably should be a bit relaxed on the 1923, since the line separating Miss Liberty's cheek, jawbone and ear hole is all there, but the three sprigs above that line is frequently flat. 10% struck with Full Heads."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file