Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wouldn't a time machine be nice right about now?

tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

This ad appeared in Coin World, Wednesday, September 25, 1970

Does anyone still have any of those $56.50 $20s? I have a few $5 Libs I bought from them for $30.00 each. How about there price on BU rolls of 1903-O dollars or better yet a roll of 78-CCs for $11,00 per coin?

Those were the good old days. Of course back then a good paying job only paid $6 or $7 per hour.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A time machine would be great, IF you knew the future when you went back in time.
    Happy New Year
    Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... how I can remember those days.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good ole days are now, live it.

A time machine, I would play the stock market.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

You wouldn't like it. The jet lag is terrible!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple of "Blue Books" from the mid 60's that are interesting to look through from time to time. I couldn't afford coin prices back then. Heck, I couldn't even afford the price of a Red Book back then, that's why I have some of the Blue Books.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

You would end up with General Motors, Sears and Bethlehem Steel.

o:)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

You would end up with General Motors, Sears and Bethlehem Steel.

o:)

I own a V-8 Toyota, My lifetime expenditures at Sears were less that I paid eBay this month, I do not deal in Steel cent errors because of corrosion.

So I never would have picked your stock picks.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember $20's being advertised in Coin World for $48 in the early 1960's. I wanted one but did not have enough money.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy Apple or Microsoft and buy all the $20’s you can carry. 1980’s but still. 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Buy Apple or Microsoft and buy all the $20’s you can carry. 1980’s but still. 😂

The $20s would be a mistake. S&P 500 is up 3500% since 1970. Those $56 20s would need to be worth $1960 today to have kept up.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 4:23PM

If you could only go forward or backward, which would you go? Seems like most people would like to go backward?

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I'd take a couple rolls of the 85-cc's, ah what the heck a couple of the 81cc morgan rolls too :)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevinstang said:
    I'd take a couple rolls of the 85-cc's, ah what the heck a couple of the 81cc morgan rolls too :)

Was thinking the same thing!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backward, way backward. The heck with numismatics, I want to know who built the pyramids and when. B)

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of us would be lost if we suddenly showed up in 1970. No Wifi, no Starbucks, no microwave, and no slabs. No stickers even. I wouldn’t know what to buy! ;)

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Most of us would be lost if we suddenly showed up in 1970. No Wifi, no Starbucks, no microwave, and no slabs. No stickers even. I wouldn’t know what to buy! ;)

I agree but think that I could quickly adapt :D

• Options

Perhaps going back to the 60's would be more enjoyable ??

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My present life is really very good. If I were to change a single second of the past, things might be radically different. Changing the past seems very risky and undesirable to me.

Reverie, maybe, but reality no.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, no one wants to use the time machine to prevent 9/11, Pearl Harbor, assassination of ______, etc., polio vaccine?

Just coins and stocks?

Appears the Nobel Prize will not be forthcoming.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

My LIER Jet is my time machine...Gotta go. On to Central Time

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 10:33PM

@Zoins said:
    If you could only go forward or backward, which would you go? Seems like most people would like to go backward?

If you go backward in time you basically become a god with infinite knowledge of the future (depending on how much you paid attention to things in the present)

But if you go 500 years into the future it’s going to be cybernetically augmented humans with their brains jacked into a giant neural network. You and I might as well be chimpanzees there.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was there. A price of $49 was a lot of money back then. Getting and saving $100 for coins at Christmas was a big deal at that time. If you had bought one of those $20 gold coins, it probably would been very bag marked and perhaps not Unc. It may have been a Lebanese counterfeit. They were around then.

I overpaid at $75, but it was genuine. Today it’s in an MS-64 holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s not forget the paper money you can get from that time period as well.. in the mid-1980s I was still pulling silver certificates from the Taco Bell cash drawer that I worked at— and occasionally blue seal fives. I saw plenty of 1950 $10s But I could not afford to keep them

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2020 6:10AM

@kiyote said:
    Let’s not forget the paper money you can get from that time period as well.. in the mid-1980s I was still pulling silver certificates from the Taco Bell cash drawer that I worked at— and occasionally blue seal fives. I saw plenty of 1950 $10s But I could not afford to keep them

You're lucky. Those notes would not have been worth saving. Your $1 silver certificate would be worth less than $2 today while $1 in stock would be worth $35 and $1 in gold bullion would be worth $25.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived through those times.... and though the prices are attractive today, they were expensive then....And in 1970 I was not living in the U.S....No, I do not want to go back... I have great memories....Looking forward to the future. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    So, no one wants to use the time machine to prevent 9/11, Pearl Harbor, assassination of ______, etc., polio vaccine?

Just coins and stocks?

Appears the Nobel Prize will not be forthcoming.

Why would you want to prevent polio vaccine?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file