Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pogue VI

I hope the 1804 Dollar, the 1854-S and the 1822 half eagle are in there as well.

The D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part VI
March 18-20, 2020

1875-S Liberty Head Double Eagle.
MS-67 (PCGS) CAC.
The Finest Known Type II Liberty Head Double Eagle in Existence
The sixth installment of the incomparable D. Brent Pogue Collection will be held March 18-20, 2020 in Baltimore, Maryland in conjunction with our official auction of the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Expo. The collection was started in the 1970s by the Pogue family and was enjoyed by them for decades. Their primary focus was early federal coinage from 1792 to 1839, but the collection was expanded to include several later areas. As before, each item was purchased with an emphasis on finest known examples that offer extraordinary eye appeal. One of many examples is showcased here.

If you are planning on attending the FUN show in just a few weeks, stop by tables 321, 323, 420 and 422 to view a handful of selected highlights.

More news will be posted as available on our website.

In the meantime, HAPPY NEW YEAR from all of us at Stack’s Bowers Galleries. May 2020 be happy, healthy, and prosperous for you and your family.

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

JK said it best - "Now that's a Pogue coin!".

Looking forward to seeing the highlights at FUN - thanks for the heads up. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Now that is one golden beauty..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins in a price range that is a bit out of reach. OK, may a bit more than a bit. :)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

it will be interesting to see if the $1 1804 and $5 1822 will be put up again for sale. I am also interested in seeing the 1841 and 1854-S quarter eagles.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Neither the 1854 s , the 1804 dollar
    Or the 1822 will be sold in Baltimore
    Wait for Pogue Vll or Vlll

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

The central portion of the obverse seems weakly struck. Yeah, it's a half million dollar coin or whatever, because 19th c. gold never comes with such pristine, mark-free surfaces. Still, the crappy strike bothers me.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privaterarecoincollector said:
    I hope the 1804 Dollar, the 1854-S and the 1822 half eagle are in there as well.

March 18-20, 2020

MS-67 (PCGS) CAC.

I hope Hansen is prepared to bid aggressively and not pass on irreplaceable coins like these as he has on others in the past.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 3:24PM

@cameonut2011 said:

March 18-20, 2020

MS-67 (PCGS) CAC.

I hope Hansen is prepared to bid aggressively and not pass on irreplaceable coins like these as he has on others in the past.

Any guesses on where the 1875-S will end up price wise? Are you hoping any other collectors will try for this piece? I have to imagine Legend will be representing some collector(s) for this gem.

Of note, for the Registry Set "COMPLETE $20 GOLD DATE SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES (1850-1932)", Hansen is currently in first and second place:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/complete-20-gold-date-set-circulation-strikes-1850-1932/1029

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Brent collected a much wider range of coins than most people realize. He truly loved coins; it didn't matter if it was an 1804 dollar or a beautifully toned Washington quarter...

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2020 4:51PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    The central portion of the obverse seems weakly struck. Yeah, it's a half million dollar coin or whatever, because 19th c. gold never comes with such pristine, mark-free surfaces. Still, the crappy strike bothers me.

The coin is perfectly well struck. There’s just not as much hair detail on the T2 obverse design as there is on the T3.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@Coinosaurus said:

The coin is perfectly well struck. There’s just not as much hair detail on the T2 obverse design as there is in the T3.

Yes, looks brilliantly struck. Amazing coin.

• Options

@cnncoins said:
    Brent collected a much wider range of coins than most people realize. He truly loved coins; it didn't matter if it was an 1804 dollar or a beautifully toned Washington quarter...

Are his toned Washington quarters associated with his provenance and sold in his headline auctions? I haven't heard of them yet.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    This is very exciting and sad at the same time as it's the first sale since his passing, RIP. I'm looking forward to see the other coins that are being offered.

Does anyone know who is managing the collection now?

1875-S Liberty Head Double Eagle PCGS MS67 CAC - Ex-@oreville

This coin is graded both PCGS MS67 and NGC MS67. It was in a PCGS holder at least since 2009 and is still in the NGC Census. The next highest graded coin at PCGS is MS64+ and at NGC is MS64. This is CAC approved at the green level using the old PCGS cert number: 4240924, but not the new one shown in the TrueView below yet.

@oreville sold this coin for $575,000 back in 2009 and, this past May, estimated its value at over $700K. Here's the original thread on this coin:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/701335/finalized-the-sale-of-the-1875-s-20-pcgs-ms-67-pictures-now-included/p1

1875-S Liberty Head Double Eagle PCGS MS67 CAC
    PCGS Coin #8975 / PCGS Serial #38634103
    PCGS POP 1/0, PCGS Price Guide Value $500,000
    NGC POP 1/0, NGC Price Guide Value $700,000

That double eagle! :love:

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still looks like a 68 to me....

• Options

Brent has a complete collection of
    Barber quarters , 01s in ms 67 and I believe a complete collection of silver Washington quarters , a 32s in MS 66, a gem 78s and a 21 s half dollar .

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish he had World Coins

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Still looks like a 68 to me....

Do you have any thoughts on what might be holding it back for the graders?

• Options
    edited January 4, 2020 3:01PM

@RedCopper said:
    Brent has a complete collection of
    Barber quarters , 01s in ms 67 and I believe a complete collection of silver Washington quarters , a 32s in MS 66, a gem 78s and a 21 s half dollar .

Hopefully these will come to auction. I haven't seen his Barber or Washington quarters yet, but would love to.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

March 18-20, 2020

MS-67 (PCGS) CAC.

Any guesses on where the 1875-S will end up price wise? Are you hoping any other collectors will try for this piece? I have to imagine Legend will be representing some collector(s) for this gem.

Of note, for the Registry Set "COMPLETE $20 GOLD DATE SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES (1850-1932)", Hansen is currently in first and second place:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/complete-20-gold-date-set-circulation-strikes-1850-1932/1029

My non expert opinion $425,000.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2020 4:59PM

@MrEureka said:

Well, if I had to pick just one 75-S $20...

That looks beautiful! Someone should build a grading set :)

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1peter1223 said:

@Zoins said:

Do you have any thoughts on what might be holding it back for the graders?

Their reputation ?

Not a professional grader by any means but the VERY MINIMAL Reverse edge ding above "F" , Minimal marks(?) under "RI" and minimal mark above "D." .

Incredible Wonder coin no doubt , that looks to be appropriately graded .
    IMO the grading is spot on .

Pffft. Go nitpick all the 67’s of other dates and you’ll see that this one is a full grade better

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

But what about that crappy strike? Ewwwwww ......crappy.....glad they didn't say TINNY !!

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cnncoins said:

Or a great pattern …

Question for all. I heard they held many of the earlier collected coins raw. Those purchased in a holder were cracked out. Of course later regraded before the auctions. True?

• Options

Brents Barber and Washington quarters just came into Stacks pocession and were described to me as Hellacious. Which means quality to drool over.
    Saw some of his coins at FUN. Rolled edge and wire edge 1907 were the finest I have seen.
    His two high reliefs, 67+ and 68+ were incredible. And his Flowing hair Stella graded 66 cameo
    looked totally original. All his coins have the D Brent Pogue grade inserts.

• Options

@RedCopper said:
    Brents Barber and Washington quarters just came into Stacks pocession and were described to me as Hellacious. Which means quality to drool over.
    Saw some of his coins at FUN. Rolled edge and wire edge 1907 were the finest I have seen.
    His two high reliefs, 67+ and 68+ were incredible. And his Flowing hair Stella graded 66 cameo
    looked totally original. All his coins have the D Brent Pogue grade inserts.

Glad to hear it. Can’t wait to see them!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:

@cnncoins said:

Or a great pattern …

Question for all. I heard they held many of the earlier collected coins raw. Those purchased in a holder were cracked out. Of course later regraded before the auctions. True?

Did Pogue collect any patterns?

• Options

To answer a couple of questions with regard to Mr. Pogue’s collection.
    1) He owned a small, but amazing group of about 10 or US Patterns.
    2). He did owned just a few World coins- all
    are rare and have extraordinary eye appeal
    3) Prior to the very first sale, 98% of the collection had been certified years before. Perhaps 10 coins had not been certified.
    When the collection was originally sold over 5 sales (2014-16) every coin had been regraded by PCGS.
    4) In upcoming Pogue Sale in Baltimore the coins being offered out from his type set of US coins post 1839. Although he wasn’t able to complete the set, he was actively working on it when he unfortunately , passed away.
    His paper money collection is off the charts as far as quality and rarity.
    There are certainly larger valued Paper Collections, , however Mr Pogue’s Currency
    collection is the finest quality collection
    in existence. It’s anticipated it will bring 8-10 million. If you are only interested in coins, and are going to Baltimore, it will be well worth your time while to check
    out the bank notes. Why? because numerous of his notes probably will not reappear for sale again for decades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file