Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you buy a coin for $23,500 from a "stock" photo??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised by this listing.......wonder what the other one looks like?? At least returns are accepted. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a chance...

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 2:23PM

@Lakesammman said:
    Would you buy a coin for $23,500 from a "stock" photo??

Depends on the coin and the seller. For that price, I would jump at a PCGS MS64 Pan Pac Octagonal from APMEX ;)

Most people here probably wouldn't buy off that listing but I wouldn't be surprised if there were those who would.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Ken
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the seller. There is a legitimate sight unseen price for coins.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t even buy a $230 coin from a stock photo; thought I suppose something like a generic slabbed white Morgan dollar would be reasonably safe. But I personally wouldn’t.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not when a number of them have sold for considerably below that price fairly recently.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited December 30, 2019 8:13PM

@MFeld said:
    Not when a number of them have sold for considerably below that price fairly recently.😉

Agree. There's even a CAC available for less on the bay.

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have 2 in stock!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2019 8:19PM

I've bought coins for more money than that from photos and from well known dealers (with right of refusal upon physical inspection). So far I've never had to return a coin that wasn't as represented in the photo... I might buy a bucket of common G to VF wheat cents or even MS ASE's from a stock photo but that's about it.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a tremendous sum for me, but for others it’s a minuscule risk. There are times I’d be perfectly comfortable buying a coin sight-unseen, but only from a select group of people.

That said, it doesn’t seem like it would be all that far-fetched to think they could have photographed each one. :)

• :) For that kind of money I would drive or fly to see the coin in person.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can sell coins with that kind of price, you can for damn sure afford to pick up a camera. Or hire someone that is good at it. Stock photos are fine for generic moderns, but are unacceptable for anything else.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:
    They have 2 in stock!

Lets be honest, they probably do not even own any, they are just listing, hoping for a sucker, and then will have another dealer drop-ship it to the buyer.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

what make you think the one pictured is one of their '2 in stock'?

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

When spending that kind of money why not go to a coin show and search out the coin you’re looking for. The adventure is in the hunt. You also get to meet great people. In hand I feel much more comfortable. Just my opinion.
    My answer is no.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I write them a check?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ... but then I wouldn't buy any coin in that price range anyway.

All glory is fleeting.
  • NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s a half kilogram gold bullion coin (does such a thing even exist?), then maybe (if I had the money), but other than that, the seller can keep it if they’re too unmotivated to photograph it.

• NO WAY

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not in a position to purchase a coin for that amount so no is the answer.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not even remotely consider it.

When in doubt, don't.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid not.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good points being made........ forgot about the old, "list someone else's coins" trick.

If they were hoping to get one on the cheap at the FUN Heritage auction, they are SOL! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

AND, that HA auction has 10 days to go!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not....Although I have purchased many coins prior to having them 'in hand', those purchases were from trusted sources, with a return privilege. And I never had to return any - well.. except for an ASE from the Mint, once.
    Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if I could afford $23,500..........no :|

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never. I agree that the seller doesn't have one and would have to search one out. Sounds unethical to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

@Lakesammman said:
    Some good points being made........ forgot about the old, "list someone else's coins" trick.

If they were hoping to get one on the cheap at the FUN Heritage auction, they are SOL! :D

Not so fast, there. Maybe it’s a “stock photo” AND a “stock price”.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, and the sight-unseen bit is just one reason (even though when returns are accepted it's not sight-unseen). A seller who uses a stock photo to sell something like that is either too lazy to have a good picture taken, and as such is undeserving of my business, or doesn't actually have the coin. If they don't have the coin, they are shady and should be shunned. I wonder if the seller will cancel the sale now that he won't be able to fulfill orders from the Heritage auction.

@messydesk said:
    Nope, and the sight-unseen bit is just one reason (even though when returns are accepted it's not sight-unseen). A seller who uses a stock photo to sell something like that is either too lazy to have a good picture taken, and as such is undeserving of my business, or doesn't actually have the coin. If they don't have the coin, they are shady and should be shunned. I wonder if the seller will cancel the sale now that he won't be able to fulfill orders from the Heritage auction.

Forget about the auction example. As mentioned previously, a number of others have sold fairly recently for well below the asking price. So if an order is received at that price, it shouldn’t be difficult to obtain one or two with which to consummate a transaction.

@MFeld said:

@messydesk said:

Forget about the auction example. As mentioned previously, a number of others have sold fairly recently for well below the asking price. So if an order is received at that price, it shouldn’t be difficult to obtain one or two with which to consummate a transaction.

There are even a couple on eBay for less!

Yah, but the stock photo looks better! :D

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

edited December 31, 2019 7:58AM

@Lakesammman said:

Yah, but the stock photo looks better! :D

True, but you might get one of the eBay ones ;)

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stock photos = No sale!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

no and never!
    Side note: in mho the "stock photo" is a "borrowed picture" of the Heritage coin which is flashy and has eye appeal where the coin pictured in the holder is "dull" and lacks the luster shown in the photo. Which coin would you actually get is up to the seller. At the minimum I would ask the seller to provide me with a "cell phone" picture of the actual coin that I would receive. No updated photo, no transaction.

Kennedys are my quest...

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two chances, slim and none. Slim is on a bus headed out of town.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

who's the seller, APMEX?? :p

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    AND, that HA auction has 10 days to go!

Time to remortgage the homestead and up the bid.

;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file