Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found yesterday.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Found yesterday.

I really need to get a camera too 🙃 but from what I can see, great strike, virtually mark free, looks like some luster on the obverse but can’t really tell and that’s where the camera comes into play. Nice find for a Philly and you only need a 67 for collection purposes and a 68 takes a ride on the reading 🚂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever....Wow...that is a LOT of rolls...Bony fingers for sure.... :D Did you find anything good?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CoinscratchFever....Wow...that is a LOT of rolls...Bony fingers for sure.... :D Did you find anything good?? Cheers, RickO

Several (7 or 8) that I feel have a great shot at 68 which is the magic number for most of the modern Lincolns. I'll post the results once they come back in a month or so. Most of the rolls above came from big city banks and were pretty lame so I feel like I need to get back out to the small town banks out yonder. But, at the same time I found some of the best ones right around the corner from my office. You just never know and so it takes a lot of foot work and finger work :) to find the gems.

• Options

I agree... I have done much roll hunting lately (last six months or so) and usually stuck to half dollar rolls... Yes, a lot of rolls, but when a treasure is found...Yippee... ;) Makes it all seem worthwhile...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Good luck!

• Options

Its interesting how different hoards of rolls tell different stories in time. A while back (Jan.) I got into a box that had loads of early 2000's and most were in great condition. I've been back to that same bank several times (drive thru only) only to get turned down. Well, now that the lobby has reopened or some kind of luck I was afforded another box from the same hoard.
    And in it I found a few more worthy of grading and my first 1970 S small date business strike.

• Options

Some of those cents look like they came fresh from the mint....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Some of those cents look like they came fresh from the mint....Cheers, Rick

Yes, i’m hoping to score a couple of 68’s and hopefully a 67 on the 2009.
    On with the hunt :-)

• Options

Hey there @CoinHoarder Last night I quickly looked at where the 9 was pointing and the weak liberty and assumed it was a small date. Now, after your post and a closer diagnostic you are absolutely correct and I was not. By the way, sorry for acting like a dick a while back 😔

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember that? Must not have been a big deal. ;)

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Been hunting quarter rolls. The only unusual thing I've found is 2 nickels in the same roll. :#

• Options
    edited June 4, 2020 6:55AM

@GiveMeProof said:
    Been hunting quarter rolls. The only unusual thing I've found is 2 nickels in the same roll. :#

I can only imagine, how much silver I've unwittingly passed up by only asking for penny rolls. But, what can I say I'm a man on a mission. Once I've completed the Memorials and move to the Wheaties (which will have to be bought) I will then bring on another project.
    Correction: And Shields & 09's.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this on another thread: That their bank can only order 1 box of coins per week until further notice.

I SAW THE MEMO AT A Wells Fargo BAN

I was able to get my box today with no problem. Anyone else having issues with their bank. Please post state. I live in Maryland

• Options

@PCGSFreddie said:
    Saw this on another thread: That their bank can only order 1 box of coins per week until further notice.

I SAW THE MEMO AT A Wells Fargo BAN

I was able to get my box today with no problem. Anyone else having issues with their bank. Please post state. I live in Maryland

I don't have an account their so they will only give up to $20 worth. Which is still better than a lot of banks. Chase bank never asks if you have an account and they probably have a 100 locations in the Houston area.

• Options

@Wahoo554. That 62 looks sweet. I found either a 62 or 63 the other day that has full steps going across but unfortunately has two vertical gashes on the steps.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinscratchFever
    Then the coolest thing happened literally the very next roll a 1987 D/D popped out. So close to never even knowing, wow!

I've heard the double shot is a product of a gas bubble.
    Don't let it pop.
    Your bubble, you know what I mean.
    Cool.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Wahoo554. That 62 looks sweet. I found either a 62 or 63 the other day that has full steps going across but unfortunately has two vertical gashes on the steps.

Thanks. Here’s another toned 62-D that was in the box. It was a tough choice for the album, but the first one had a bit more going for it than the latter, though I liked the colors on the latter better. If only they hadn’t been the same year and mm...

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I got a hold of some interesting rolls today and as I was going through them I was having trouble remembering was it the 2004 or the 2014 that had the DDR. So, I'm going down the price guide and realized there is a 1987 D/D. Couldn't believe I never noticed this on the list before. Then the coolest thing happened literally the very next roll a 1987 D/D popped out. So close to never even knowing, wow!

These were the goods with several 05's, 6, & 7's

Nice!
    Wanna unload it?

• Options

@mannie gray For you absolutely! I’m not very experienced at worn grades but I would guess AU something and probably RB.
    Name your price, I’m gonna need more money as my order keeps growing.

• Options

I have a few more 87’s in my nice enough to keep but not nice enough to grade box. Tomorrow, I will check those to see if more D/D’s are hiding, who knew :)

• Options

@mannie gray On second thought the grade maybe slightly higher than I first thought. And there is only 20 pieces graded Either way, I feel like I need to get a couple hundred for it. Let me know what you think because I'm really not familiar with the market on this one.

• Options

After a quick check on Ebay maybe I need to be closer to 125.00 :)

• Options

I picked up 6 rolls of quarters and 4 of them are complete rolls of 2015-P Saratoga coins. What the hell should I do with them? Is there a market for such a coin?

• Options

@GiveMeProof said:
    I picked up 6 rolls of quarters and 4 of them are complete rolls of 2015-P Saratoga coins. What the hell should I do with them? Is there a market for such a coin?

Give them to the first homeless person you see.
    Tell that person that an angel is watching over him/her.
    Then go buy six more and let us know how you do. Savvy?!

• Options

Are they original mint rolls? Might be a high MS grade in there if they are. Other than that, spend them. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Are they original mint rolls? Might be a high MS grade in there if they are. Other than that, spend them. Cheers, RickO

There's only 2 graded at 68, so far.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finished one box ... it yielded a 1998 WAM maybe VF ... one 1983 D unplated maybe VF ...and a 2017 P with a nice die crack on the reverse maybe AU.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 9:22AM

@Jimnight I'm jealous. Hundreds of boxes and never a wide am or a close am on the right year :) Now, the only time I will work a box methodically is if they are customer wrapped and have a lot of high quality stuff. Looking for gems only you can fly through a Fed box in 30 minutes. But slows to a crawl on the home rolled stuff :D
    Edited: Did you find the goodies in the home rolled? Top left.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Jimnight I'm jealous. Hundreds of boxes and never a wide am or a close am on the right year :) Now, the only time I will work a box methodically is if they are customer wrapped and have a lot of high quality stuff. Looking for gems only you can fly through a Fed box in 30 minutes. But slows to a crawl on the home rolled stuff :D

No, that's the box I just finished ... as I go through each roll very carefully I reroll each roll as I finish seaching it. I've been sitting on these four boxes for about 3 months now.

A couple weeks ago I went through 2k in kennedy half dollars found one 1968 D maybe XF, that was it. I just cashed them in.

• Options

@Jimnight said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

No, that's the box I just finished ... as I go through each roll very carefully I reroll each roll as I finish seaching it. I've been sitting on these four boxes for about 3 months now.

A couple weeks ago I went through 2k in kennedy half dollars found one 1968 D maybe XF, that was it. I just cashed them in.

Well then your definitely getting your moneys worth.
    and I thought that might’ve been the case with the re-rolling. My fellow coin collector, the rerolled coins represent at least 60% of the exciting home rolled coins I bring home.
    Exciting until you open a few of them, dammit 😭

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Finished one box ... it yielded a 1998 WAM maybe VF ... one 1983 D unplated maybe VF ...and a 2017 P with a nice die crack on the reverse maybe AU.

You sure know your errors/varieties :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool RPM on that 87-D!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

Utter disbelief and euphoria when I put the loupe on that one after just reading about it.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ChrisH821 said:

Utter disbelief and euphoria when I put the loupe on that one after just reading about it.

It was meant to be- it's in really nice condition too

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ChrisH821 said:

It was meant to be- it's in really nice condition too

Based on the pic and assuming the reverse is the same condition what would you grade it? Does it even get to MS?

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:

Guess I'll go through them, carefully. Thanks.

• Options

@GiveMeProof said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:

I would. You have to get creative on the hunt. Have you tried grocery store service desks? Especially in low income areas. And ask for customer wrapped rolls, the older the better then wink, smile and point.
    Great album by the way,
    Chris

• Options

Tough to tell, anywhere from 58-63BN wouldn't surprise me.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rolled some change from a jug we filled over the years. Found one silver quarter that found its way into the pile.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @mannie gray On second thought the grade maybe slightly higher than I first thought. And there is only 20 pieces graded Either way, I feel like I need to get a couple hundred for it. Let me know what you think because I'm really not familiar with the market on this one.

Just FYI for the both of you.
    I have a few with this fault.
    Not selling but here's one I came across last night as I'm into some serious housekeeping.
    I have a good amount of the 87's looking like these.
    Just Reporting bro.
    Cool.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Not selling but here's one I came across last night as I'm into some serious housekeeping.
    Just Reporting bro.
    Cool.

Your coin is not a repunched mintmark.

• Options

@mannie gray said:

@emeraldATV said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Just Reporting bro.
    Cool.

Your coin is not a repunched mintmark.

But it is the cleanest coin he’s ever posted 🤣

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@GiveMeProof said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@ricko said:

I would. You have to get creative on the hunt. Have you tried grocery store service desks? Especially in low income areas. And ask for customer wrapped rolls, the older the better then wink, smile and point.
    Great album by the way,
    Chris

Thanks Chris.

• Options

You just never know. I did not expect to find silver while hunting Lincolns but I'll take it :)

I'm guessing these are worthless?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file