Home Sports Talk

"Black Monday is coming. Will Jason Garrett join the unemployed and make Dimeman happy?

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Black Monday" is the day when the coaches who failed completely or did not live up expectations get the ax. The question is, will Jason Garrett get the ax?

Probably. His Cowboys are headed toward, at best, a .500 finish.

How could he keep his job? #1 Beat Washington today, which should happen. #2 Eagles lose to the Giants, which gives the Cowboys the division title. #3 Win at least a playoff game. If he does that, Jerry Jones won't let him go.

If he only wins the division, he still might be around next year.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fox commentator, Jay Glazer, just said that Garrett will have to reach the Super Bowl to save his job. That's a high bar for anybody.

Perhaps Dimeman will get to the playoffs and see Garrett get canned. That would almost be as good as finding an 1894-S Dime in pocket change ... Well not really, but it could be like finding a 1916-D Mercury in AG-3.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, none of those senario's would save his job if I was the owner. But he wouldn't even be the coach if I was the owner. Garrett has to go as well as the DC. We have the players. The only thing keeping us from winning is bad coaching and inconsistent play from Prescott. We have everything else. If you look at the game against Philly Dak was not on...he was missing receivers or throwing behind them and not even seeing them when they were open. He had a terrible game. And the defensive game plan was the product of an idiot!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 11:19AM

I think he goes, unless he miraculously wins the Super Bowl. Jason Garrett is a super nice and likeable person, but winning football games is what it all boils down to, and he just isn't getting the job done.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I vote he’s done, too much talent in the weakest division and below .500 😩

I just read where Jones is looking at Mike Zimmer! I hope that doesn't happen...….don't care for him at all!!!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reports are that Pat Shurmur is gone.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freddie Kitchens is available. Cowboys should snatch him up before someone else does. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/exclusive-jason-garrett-says-hes-meeting-with-joneses-about-job-future-today-in-noon-hour

Exclusive: Cowboys' Garrett Says He's Meeting With Joneses About Job Future Today in Noon Hour

FRISCO - Jason Garrett says he's scheduled to meet with the Jones family today just after the noon hour regarding his future with the Dallas Cowboys and that he will "absolutely'' express his desire to retain his position as head coach.

"Absolutely,'' he told Shan Shariff and yours truly in an exclusive Monday morning visit on 105.3 The Fan. “We’ll have a good visit and see what’s next.”

The only question is will Beethoven′s Fifth be played during the meeting?

Right before the meeting begins, Jerry Jones will ask Jason Garrett whether or not he wants a blindfold.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go out on a limb and predict that Garrett coaches for another year with Dallas.

edited December 31, 2019 5:43AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I'll go out on a limb and predict that Garrett coaches for another year with Dallas.

Well, the Cowboys did kick the Redskins to the curb in the last game. ;)

I'm pretty sure Mr. Garrett will be ok, if he becomes unemployed. I don't think he has to worry about the McDonald's monster asking him why he is late to work today.

You're late again Garrett! Those restrooms aren't going to clean themselves!

He would screw that up for sure!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett signed to an extension with a raise!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Garrett signed to an extension with a raise!

Not funny.....don't even joke like that!

Big meeting with Garrett and Jones, yet no news reports about it?

Nothing, not even on the Cowboys website.

Jerry must have issued a gag order. LOL

Dammit Garrett! That customer said to hold the onions! You're fired!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

So tell us, Tracy Morgan, now that he’s been fired, do you think Pat Shurmer did a good job for the Giants the last two seasons?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman, your prayers have been answered!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Dimeman, your prayers have been answered!

Not officially...…..yet. B) But soon. :):):) I'll need a happy dance emoji!

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll need a happy dance emoji!

Just Quote this ...

Jason Garrett firing, part 2:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28397752/cowboys-jerry-jones-meet-jason-garrett-again-tuesday

Source: Cowboys' Jerry Jones to meet with Jason Garrett again Tuesday

FRISCO, Texas -- While the Washington Redskins appeared to be closing in on a new coach and the New York Giants opted to move on from their head coach, Jason Garrett remains the Dallas Cowboys' coach -- at least for now.

Garrett met with Jerry Jones after the coach and owner/general manager briefly met with the players around lunchtime Monday, but by the end of the business day, it was passed on that there would be no news conference at The Star regarding the coach's future and the owner's potential plan for 2020.

Garrett is scheduled to meet again with Jerry Jones and his son, Stephen, Dallas' executive vice president, on Tuesday, a source told ESPN, confirming a report by the Dallas Morning News.

edited December 31, 2019 6:54AM

Well, the Redskins are about to sneak in and grab Ron Rivera.

I would like Ron Rivera as coach. Jerry could screw up a ball bearing with a glass hammer! ARGH!

Jerry needs to make his move now. I read online that the Cowboys nation is pissed off!

@doubledragon said:
    Jerry needs to make his move now. I read online that the Cowboys nation is pissed off!

I don't know where Garrett lives, but if it is in Dallas...…...he better move!

Damn - Rivera goes to the Skins....way to go Jerry! And I see Chan Gailey goes to Miami as OC. OMG! If you look up "LOSER" in the dictionary...….there is a picture of Garrett & Gailey...….KISSING......and Jerry is in the background waiting his turn!! He has hired BOTH of them at one time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE NAME OF HUMANITY STOP THIS !!!!!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I just read where Jones is looking at Mike Zimmer! I hope that doesn't happen...….don't care for him at all!!!

Zimmer is a good coach, he is under contract for another year.

What don't you like about Zimmer? I figured he would be your kind of guy, no nonsense, run the ball and play defense.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Ron Rivera has officially signed a five year deal with the Redskins. That shipped has sailed. I would like to have seen him in Dallas with all of their talent.

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

What don't you like about Zimmer? I figured he would be your kind of guy, no nonsense, run the ball and play defense.

My problem with Zimmer is that he has a pretty good team and can't seem to get the job done.

In your opinion (being as objective as you can) who has the better team overall.....Dallas or Minn.?

@DIMEMAN said:
    Damn - Rivera goes to the Skins....way to go Jerry!

Washington will not have a winning season in the upcoming decade. If Snyder hires a coach...he will fail.

edited December 31, 2019 10:04AM

If Garrett stays with the Cowboys, the Eagles family will be glad to welcome you to the fold, Dimeman. :)

Jerry Jones can’t even do a firing right. Why hang a guy out to dry like that? This should have been over on Monday.

@BillJones said:

Jerry Jones can’t even do a firing right. Why hang a guy out to dry like that? This should have been over on Monday.

Why? This is the most exciting thing to happen this season.

@BillJones said:
    If Garrett stays with the Cowboys, the Eagles family will be glad to welcome you to the fold, Dimeman. :)

Did you forget what I said about 5 miles of broken glass......naked.....and salt?! B)

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

At least for the Cowboys’ fans ... the win over the LA Lambs was a close second.

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

Did you forget what I said about 5 miles of broken glass......naked.....and salt?! B)

But you are faced with the reality of the situation, you might change you mind ...

edited December 31, 2019 10:57AM

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

At least for the Cowboys’ fans ... the win over the LA Lambs was a close second.

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

But you are faced with the reality of the situation, you might change you mind ...

But I HATE the Hummingbirds with all my being! 100 times more than Steve hates the Cowboys!

Looking forward to seeing you at FUN. Are we having a gettogether like last year? I hope so!

Let us know something Jerry Jones!

Well?

@BillJones said:

I'd be willing to accept Dimeman into the fold. However the stipulation must be that he has to delete every post in which he made a derogatory remark about the Eagles, Phillies or Philadelphia.

Nothing today.

""Tuesday saw the three men gather for another meeting, but the wait for word on Garrett’s future will go on. According to multiple reports, the meeting has ended and there’s no sign that an announcement of any kind will happen on New Year’s Eve.""

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schumer is gone in NY. Washington hires Rivera. Jerry is just waiting until the Giants hire someone so Garrett doesn’t end up in the same division. Urban Meyers is the next Cowboys coach. It’s written in stone. Jerry’s just waiting until the Bowl games are over. You read it first here.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Schumer is gone in NY. Washington hires Rivera. Jerry is just waiting until the Giants hire someone so Garrett doesn’t end up in the same division. Urban Meyers is the next Cowboys coach. It’s written in stone. Jerry’s just waiting until the Bowl games are over. You read it first here.

Why the F*** would he care where Garrett goes. He can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no feel how Meyers would do in the NFL. Almost anybody would be an improvement over Garrett!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

I'd be willing to accept Dimeman into the fold. However the stipulation must be that he has to delete every post in which he made a derogatory remark about the Eagles, Phillies or Philadelphia.

I about spit up my soda reading that! B)

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Urban Meyers is the next Cowboys coach. It’s written in stone. Jerry’s just waiting until the Bowl games are over. You read it first here.

There has been talk of Meyer to the Cowboys. I have heard that Meyer said he would not turn down that job. However I can't see Meyer agreeing to be micro managed. Jones would have to sit in his box and STFU. I don't know if Jones is capable of that.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

My problem with Zimmer is that he has a pretty good team and can't seem to get the job done.

In your opinion (being as objective as you can) who has the better team overall.....Dallas or Minn.?

Neither team is great, Minnesota with a healthy Dalvin Cook is the better team. Better record this year and we did win a close game at Dallas.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

The Vikings have the same issues they have had for several years now.....their O line needs help. It is amazing that Cook had the type of year he had playing behind that line. They are better run blockers but don't hold up against teams with good D lines when they have to throw the ball. Not sure if Cousins is the .answer, but I'll give him a pass as he is constantly throwing under pressure. At least the Vikings hold their own when they play some of the better teams; can't say the same about those Cowboys

You are spot on!

O line is much better this year with Bradbury at center. Elflein looks like a POOR pass blocker and O'Neill looks like their right tackle for years, or maybe a move to left in the near future. Reif at LT is getting a bit old, but still does a pretty good job.

They are not big, but athletic. As long as they have a healthy Cook, the defense will be forced to respect the run. Mattison is a very good runner when Cook needs a rest.

In a situation where Cousins is going to have to throw on every down if way behind, it could get ugly.

@LarkinCollector said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll need a happy dance emoji!

Just Quote this ...