Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Missing DARKSIDERS

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2019 11:56AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Like the post on the liteside, which darksiders do you miss posting? Here are a few of mine:

Askari - the original darksider
mongoose
wybrit - I only hear from him when Chelsea beats Arsenal :'(
a2labmom
spinaker

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need more darksiders joining the boards too .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

The strength of the world market seems stronger than the activity on the forum

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped posting my new purchases because I got little to no replies. Many moved onto Cointalk, where I post more.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:
    I stopped posting my new purchases because I got little to no replies. Many moved onto Cointalk, where I post more.

I find that this forum has become very specialized and somewhat narrower in scope and interests. I would urge you to still post from time to time as many read the posts without commentary. I personally spend more time on certain Facebook groups, Instagram and direct communication with fellow collections which are more interactive. I never thought I would find myself in that world, yet the ease of posting and the diverse audience make it much more interactive.

I am a social media dummy ! Care to share specifics ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

I find that this forum has become very specialized and somewhat narrower in scope and interests. I would urge you to still post from time to time as many read the posts without commentary. I personally spend more time on certain Facebook groups, Instagram and direct communication with fellow collections which are more interactive. I never thought I would find myself in that world, yet the ease of posting and the diverse audience make it much more interactive.

I pst some new coins on instagram. I used to belong to FB groups but I don't enjoy FB much as a whole anymore so I don't even use it.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

I am a social media dummy ! Care to share specifics ?

Sure - will send you a PM

• Options

@bronzemat said:

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

I pst some new coins on instagram. I used to belong to FB groups but I don't enjoy FB much as a whole anymore so I don't even use it.

So coin talk is far broader in topics and volume. It's easy enough to duplicate post here as well.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am more involved on Facebook nowadays too because of the paucity of activity in my areas of interest here. On Facebook I am active in groups that focus on what I collect.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

very interesting topic.
    must agree that communicating interest about dark side coins has dribbled down... with the exception of a hand full of people.
    Perhaps an explanation for all to see is this:
    please explain what the term "dark Side" means in terms of numismatics with references to this forum.. :o

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what happened to @JCMhouston? I also used to see members such as @wildjag, @JZRarities, @3Mark, @JamminJ, theBoz11 and others on German State threads but the frequency of these threads has slowed.

• Options

Thank you Sapyx
    that is most certainly a very comprehensive explanation.
    I am sure many others knew the term, but not how it became "to be" and how it was used.
    thank you and have a great New Year.
    H

• Options

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

So coin talk is far broader in topics and volume. It's easy enough to duplicate post here as well.

True, & I used too, but with the lack of replies I got here, I stopped.

My choice :)

Plus there is a reason Rob Lord M moved to post more on there than here, even becoming mod. Few others moved too.

It's just discouraging when you take the time to post and get 0 replies, especially when this forum is slow & many of us appreciate replies of any kind.

• Options

@bronzemat said:

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

@Zohar said:

@bronzemat said:

True, & I used too, but with the lack of replies I got here, I stopped.

My choice :)

Plus there is a reason Rob Lord M moved to post more on there than here, even becoming mod. Few others moved too.

It's just discouraging when you take the time to post and get 0 replies, especially when this forum is slow & many of us appreciate replies of any kind.

I hear you. Will have a look on CT as well.

• Options

You've posted on there before as Zohar44.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Well, I answer all the greysider questions. I thought that the folks on here were all PCGS or NGC high-grade collectors ... most with registry sets. I'm raw all the way.... I like to feel history in my fingers.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

I think I'm crushed that I wasn't on Ajaan's list of people he missed. Perhaps I haven't been missing enough :wink:

I also only hear from wybrit when Chelsea beats Arsenal.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

@farthing said:
    I think I'm crushed that I wasn't on Ajaan's list of people he missed. Perhaps I haven't been missing enough :wink:

I also only hear from wybrit when Chelsea beats Arsenal.

So sorry. Brain fart, senior moment, etc.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2020 9:13AM

Agree with the above and really @Askari is the original. One of my main medal impetus enablers. My main Japanese initial enabler was @satootoko and sadly, I'm sure he is no longer active.

I don't see @cosmicdebris on the list...he moved on to other interests.

How about @cacheman too (though I think I see a comment once in awhile)? @Aethelred really doesn't post much that I see. Even Dimitri/ @SYRACUSIAN is a rare sighting these days. @shirohniichan too.

I know I'm missing more.

(edited to add the latter three actually have checked in in the recent months...I missed some of it though.)

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand why people get put off when there are no comments on their posts. I felt the same way also, and for a while was so disgruntled that I started deleting all of my posts, which is why one might see a . where something I posted used to be. After a while I missed posting, even if there was not much happening in return, so I've started back up.

An old Canadian coin forum died completely out a while back (can't remember the name of it to save my life), and I would not want to see this forum suffer the same fate. That forum died out due to lack of civility as much as anything, which lead to indifference, which lead to extinction. Fortunately things here seem to have remained civil, which is refreshing.

• Options

@GotTheBug said:
    I understand why people get put off when there are no comments on their posts. I felt the same way also, and for a while was so disgruntled that I started deleting all of my posts, which is why one might see a . where something I posted used to be. After a while I missed posting, even if there was not much happening in return, so I've started back up.

An old Canadian coin forum died completely out a while back (can't remember the name of it to save my life), and I would not want to see this forum suffer the same fate. That forum died out due to lack of civility as much as anything, which lead to indifference, which lead to extinction. Fortunately things here seem to have remained civil, which is refreshing.

CCRS?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

I think that the Canadian forum was CanadianCopper Coins, where I was the moderator but it wasn't my site. The owner wanted a moderator and I was a popular poster, so there it was. He let the forum stagnate and fill with spammers.

The old CCRS site was a great Canadian site, but the owner of the site got persnickety and said that nothing bad could be said about ICCS, certain authors were off-limits and you had to use your real name and email. We used to fill 2-3 pages over a weekend .... now their first page is 2-3 YEARS old. Most of the good stuff left when his mother (a HUGE Canadian asset and numismatist) died and he was left with it, as well as Torex, which he has also ruined.

• Options

@ajaan said:

@GotTheBug said:

CCRS?

That's the one. There was a lot of animosity on that site as time went on. I also got ripped off a little on that site when I purchased an ICCS-graded coin, for which I paid $20 for shipping to the U.S., from one of the members. The seller put the coin in a regular letter envelope with a couple of stamps and no insurance. It's amazing that it made it to me intact. Of course, no response from the seller regarding the postage.

• Options

@syl said:
    Well, I answer all the greysider questions. I thought that the folks on here were all PCGS or NGC high-grade collectors ... most with registry sets. I'm raw all the way.... I like to feel history in my fingers.

I'm right there with you on raw coins, although I do have some rarities and high-grade pieces which are certified, as well as a full set of Victorian fifty cents. I prefer raw coins and have cracked out (or cut out, in ICCS' case) circulated non-rarities for inclusion in the 6 (!) albums I'm currently working on.

I gave up the registry pursuit several years ago when I realized that my goals were much too lofty for my budget.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2020 7:34PM

@Aethelred Posts quite a bit at www.cointalk.com I met him at his shop this
    past summer. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Also met @lordmarcovan . He recently
    took a self imposed sabbatical. Also very friendly. Over on Cointalk he is really
    missed and the forum members are concerned. I PM'd him a while back, but
    no response. At Cointalk there are quite a few "newbies" and senior members
    patience is tried. Over all a good forum like this just different.

• Options

I just texted lordmarcovan. He's hanging in there.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    @Aethelred Posts quite a bit at www.cointalk.com I met him at his shop this
    past summer. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Also met @lordmarcovan . He recently
    took a self imposed sabbatical. Also very friendly. Over on Cointalk he is really
    missed and the forum members are concerned. I PM'd him a while back, but
    no response. At Cointalk there are quite a few "newbies" and senior members
    patience is tried. Over all a good forum like this just different.

Lord M does do the occasional sabbatical. It is a wise thing many of us can learn from in many area of our life. He is smart to recognize when it's need.

@ajaan said:
    I just texted lordmarcovan. He's hanging in there.

Is he in need of anything (cheer, a care package, a friendly note)?

• Options

Nice for you to offer Cathy, but Rob is fine.

ye old dead king, aethelred, and I communicate regularly, he's busy running his Coin Shop.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@syl said:
    I think that the Canadian forum was CanadianCopper Coins, where I was the moderator but it wasn't my site. The owner wanted a moderator and I was a popular poster, so there it was. He let the forum stagnate and fill with spammers.

The old CCRS site was a great Canadian site, but the owner of the site got persnickety and said that nothing bad could be said about ICCS, certain authors were off-limits and you had to use your real name and email. We used to fill 2-3 pages over a weekend .... now their first page is 2-3 YEARS old. Most of the good stuff left when his mother (a HUGE Canadian asset and numismatist) died and he was left with it, as well as Torex, which he has also ruined.

soooo right...
    I say : one can not fix "stupid". It was a stampede to the exit. However, during the stampede he did comply with deletion requests and paid back "unused" monies already paid to him .

• Options

Yes, I deleted over 10,000 posts myself and 3 friends of mine (and posters here or used to) deleted over 12,000 total. There used to be 30-40 posters that were there almost daily or, at the very least, a couple times weekly. A HUGE amount of research was lost due to Brian's ignorance that can never be replaced concerning mostly Canadian numismatics, but some world and ancient as well..

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    Yes, I deleted over 10,000 posts myself and 3 friends of mine (and posters here or used to) deleted over 12,000 total. There used to be 30-40 posters that were there almost daily or, at the very least, a couple times weekly. A HUGE amount of research was lost due to Brian's ignorance that can never be replaced concerning mostly Canadian numismatics, but some world and ancient as well..

What a loss. I wonder if there's a webarchives version that can be viewed with the information still intact.

• Options

maybe someone wishes to approach Brian and ask him if he still has his back ups?

• Options

I think that they were all deleted at the poster's request. We all didn't want him to make use of them that might benefit Brian's bottom line or have the posts used inappropriately.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    I wonder what happened to @JCMhouston?

I reached out to him a while ago. He took a break from collecting and is focusing on other things. I don't know if he plans on coming back at some point.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @neildrobertson ! Appreciate the update. Hope to see him pass through in the future.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    I am more involved on Facebook nowadays too because of the paucity of activity in my areas of interest here. On Facebook I am active in groups that focus on what I collect.

Hang on a second

Why would you trust facebook with any info about valuable items you might have ?I wouldn't even trust them with my name

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

Hang on a second

Why would you trust facebook with any info about valuable items you might have ?I wouldn't even trust them with my name

Groups are selective and focused - collectors who are interested in same category (Geographical, thematic etc). These are quite interactive leveraging FB's technology (Phone app, interface). Essentially same as here yet more focused and interactive.

• Options

@Zohar said:

@bronco2078 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

Hang on a second

Groups are selective and focused - collectors who are interested in same category (Geographical, thematic etc). These are quite interactive leveraging FB's technology (Phone app, interface). Essentially same as here yet more focused and interactive.

but facebook relentlessly captures all your data and sells it to everyone , and gets hacked and doesn't care about you.

They are the worst internet company out there , well except for apple , google Microsoft , amazon , and the rest :D

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not oblivious to security issues. Let’s just say that I have things as secure as I deem appropriate. I don’t want to get into details, but I feel I’m ok here but I do appreciate the sentiment and concerns.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Zohar said:

@bronco2078 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

Hang on a second

but facebook relentlessly captures all your data and sells it to everyone , and gets hacked and doesn't care about you.

They are the worst internet company out there , well except for apple , google Microsoft , amazon , and the rest :D

Like many things - some good has some bad and vice versa and we all decide on what we can accept. The flip side - What good is posting in a forum that has no interest in the subject matter? We can run scared of interacting in a dynamic, focused, forum that learns much about us or remain isolated as collectors?

• Options

i hear you , I just see facebook as a predator. Facebook will snoop on you here in pcgs ,follow and track you all over the web outside of facebook proper. I don't think pcgs treats its forum members that way , I trust them with my data and privacy

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    i hear you , I just see facebook as a predator. Facebook will snoop on you here in pcgs ,follow and track you all over the web outside of facebook proper. I don't think pcgs treats its forum members that way , I trust them with my data and privacy

True. It's a trade - you give you get. I wish this forum was more active in my area of interest. Nothing beats in person communication and relationship building.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

"I also only hear from wybrit when Chelsea beats Arsenal."

I must be off my game, because you'd hear a lot from me if that were the case...

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

@wybrit said:
    "I also only hear from wybrit when Chelsea beats Arsenal."

I must be off my game, because you'd hear a lot from me if that were the case...

EPL starting up again in a couple weeks.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Zohar said:

@bronco2078 said:

@EVillageProwler said:

Hang on a second

They're all on your lawn!!!

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Instagram is where its at everyone! In fact some of the members here are on instagram as well. You can easily find collectors from all over the world and get replies/comments immediately.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

I learned a lot from this list of names

• Options

is DBStrader still here?