Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Anti-Counterfeiting Technology Starts February 24!

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

This possibility has been talked about on the forum for at least a few years and is now a reality. Sort of like chipping the newly adopted cat, I guess. Most here like the idea. I probably will as well after thinking about it for a while. Seems like a huge step towards security, with little or no downside, though I still here Ben Franklin whispering in my ear..,

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent move. I wonder if eventually pcgs will add like a photo to it for extra measure against fraud & the sorts?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    Can any of the chips to be used have location technology added that can be accessed by the manufacturer and/or PCGS for anti theft protection?

No, but they could be a tool in recovering stolen property if our hosts implemented a stolen item registry that would alert someone scanning a coin that was reported stolen.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing, but it if it is only at the Gold Service level, it is generally directed at high end coins. Most slabs with collector coins from say $250 to $3,000 value, won't have them then. How about adding an option for say, $10 more for regular service with chip added?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

so many great questions and answers
    I thinks that this is a very positive way of enhancing coin / slab security
    I think that I will treat this as I do in buying a new car release: wait until the "bugs" are worked out and then go all in!
    Now to research the cost of having my special coins re-slabbed with this feature.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 9:33AM

@Batman23 said:
    Interesting advancements. Some great questions already asked. A couple other questions come to mind reading through these.

Will they help cause wildly vivid toning to the coins in the holder >:)

More realistically, since this is authenticated through your device (Which will likely have GPS technology) to the cloud for the verification... will there be a database holding each of these scans and the location of this scan? I could see this as a possible way to track physical locations of certain coins, how long certain coins are dormant, or more importantly when and where stolen coins are scanned. A lot of possibilities here, some better than others. ;)

Good question - NFC chips CAN incorporate geolocation - but it's mostly tied into the app, but you would have had to grant permission to this. The release says if you scan a slab, it will automatically launch the PCGS Cert Verification App. I don't remember when I installed the app what permissions it asked for, if you see an updated app and it now asks for that, I would guess it is tracking.

For the older phones that can't do this natively, which the release says will require a 3rd party app - I guess it would be up to that app.

Guess the underlying question is are the slab chips enabled for this, and if so - how is this data stored within PCGS. Might be good for them to monitor this to see if a ton of scans from say... China start appearing, or as you mentioned, stolen coins.

They could also use this data to attempt to locate "Recalled" coins or god forbid I scan a coin and start getting e-mails for offers to buy the coin lol.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Good thing, but it if it is only at the Gold Service level, it is generally directed at high end coins. Most slabs with collector coins from say $250 to $3,000 value, won't have them then. How about adding an option for say, $10 more for regular service with chip added?

Best, SH

At only $5 per coin Gold Shield is a good value even if just for the imaging. I add it to most of my submissions and all have been in the $250-3000 range. This is just one more reason to add it to any submission at the regular service level.
    I do agree that an option to add it to a single coin in a submission would be nice to have.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good.

• Options

Need a little help here.
    If I send in a coin for reholdering ( not for regrading) with the Gold Shield and the new chip security feature
    my cost per coin would be:
    1) insured sending shipping cost
    2) a separate submission fee???
    3) reholdering fee of $12.00 + $5.00 for the Gold Shield holder with new chip and
    4) return insured shipping cost

Is this correct and is there a discount if I submit "X" number of coins at the same time with the same above criteria?
    Thx in advance

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to PCGS - an important step forward.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to assume, yeah I know the saying that goes along when you say assume, that the bar code / QR code method of coin details will remain active with the PCGS Coin Cert Verification App.

The Cert Verification App makes that confirmation process much easier and much faster. Rather than typing in the coin’s certification number, simply scan the bar code (obverse) or QR code (reverse) found on the coin label.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a big, or even biggggger step forward, an excellent advancement and very impressive.
    However, how long do you think will it take our hated "friends" from the PRoC (or perhaps an other country) to come up with effective counter measures? Just like CC counterfeits...
    I believe this technology, even new and best now for the application, will soon be old and vulnerable. Just MO.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Need a little help here.
    If I send in a coin for reholdering ( not for regrading) with the Gold Shield and the new chip security feature
    3) reholdering fee of $12.00 + $5.00 for the Gold Shield holder with new chip and

Is this correct and is there a discount if I submit "X" number of coins at the same time with the same above criteria?
    Thx in advance

The only "discount" for sending multiple coins for Gold Shield Reholder would be amortizing the costs of items #1, #2, and #4 across more coins. Barring a Quarterly Collector's Club special, #3 is a fixed cost per coin. Item #2 is a flat $10 charge for an order of any size. Shipping (#1 and #4) increases with more coins and higher total value, but per coin you save good money on a larger order. You can eliminate #1 altogether by dropping the coins off with PCGS at a show.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Need a little help here.

Thx in advance

The only "discount" for sending multiple coins for Gold Shield Reholder would be amortizing the costs of items #1, #2, and #4 across more coins. Barring a Quarterly Collector's Club special, #3 is a fixed cost per coin. Item #2 is a flat $10 charge for an order of any size. Shipping (#1 and #4) increases with more coins and higher total value, but per coin you save good money on a larger order. You can eliminate #1 altogether by dropping the coins off with PCGS at a show.

Thank you for your insight

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Can't wait to see the sample slab! :D

And the slab should have two chips - one in the usual place and the other showcased where a coin would reside.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@spacehayduke said:

Best, SH

At only $5 per coin Gold Shield is a good value even if just for the imaging. I add it to most of my submissions and all have been in the $250-3000 range. This is just one more reason to add it to any submission at the regular service level.
    I do agree that an option to add it to a single coin in a submission would be nice to have.

Did not know this until this thread. Thanks for clarification. I will start adding Gold Shield. So the chip for only $5 is worth it for sure.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, if anyone wonders why this isn't patent pending...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070118436A1/en

Although it was abandoned (no patent was issued), there is a lot of what has been disclosed about the new PCGS offering that the filing anticipated.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 2:06PM

One weakness here could be counterfeit slabs with NFC chips sending you to a spoof website that looks just like PCGS cert page. Most folks don’t look at the URL. Not much anyone could do other than try to get the fake page taken down which is difficult. Maybe on grounds of copyright infringement if images were borrowed.

Edit to add, great move, I’m a big fan, thank you for continuing to battle counterfeits in the market PCGS.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

in the history of codes it has always been true that that which one man codes another will decode. It is just a matter of time.

Even so, this needed to be done

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo!
    This is great news for the hobby.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

It's great that this is now happening, the bad part of this is having slabs coming out of PCGS without a chip.

If your going to fight counterfeit slabs your going to need every holder to have a chip, even if it only confirms the basic information.

Is there any plans to have some kind of chip verification for every slab going out?

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@Texast said:
    It's great that this is now happening, the bad part of this is having slabs coming out of PCGS without a chip.

If your going to fight counterfeit slabs your going to need every holder to have a chip, even if it only confirms the basic information.

Is there any plans to have some kind of chip verification for every slab going out?

Yes. Scroll up a little.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@Texast said:

Yes. Scroll up a little.

Ok I missed this part, it did not stand out as a comment from a moderator, maybe getting a highlighted line in the header of the comment would grab the attention of the reader.

I am glad to see it is going to be addressed, it strengthens the brand in many ways.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

@291fifth said:
    What measures have been taken to insure that the chips cannot be obtained by the makers of counterfeit coins and slabs? Where are the chips made?

Our partnership with HID allows for an authenticity check when the chip is scanned and the certification verification page is opened. A page accessed by a genuine chip will have language at the top stating that the chip has been verified as well as the coin.

Not that this isnt cool - and it does make counterfeited harder. I suspect there are still vulnerabilities

e.g.: fake slab, fake chip. When scanned, goes to a fake page that redirects with some sort of injected code that spoofs the page and inserts the fake details - possibly including a fake image. OR goes to a fake page that looks completely legit with proper wording/images of counterfeit coin. Counterfeiters will have to do this if they want to continue going after expensive widgets.

Definitely a good move making it harder, though! Good job PCGS

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

@291fifth said:
    What measures have been taken to insure that the chips cannot be obtained by the makers of counterfeit coins and slabs? Where are the chips made?

Our partnership with HID allows for an authenticity check when the chip is scanned and the certification verification page is opened. A page accessed by a genuine chip will have language at the top stating that the chip has been verified as well as the coin.

Not that this isnt cool - and it does make counterfeited harder. I suspect there are still vulnerabilities

e.g.: fake slab, fake chip. When scanned, goes to a fake page that redirects with some sort of injected code that spoofs the page and inserts the fake details - possibly including a fake image. OR goes to a fake page that looks completely legit with proper wording/images of counterfeit coin. Counterfeiters will have to do this if they want to continue going after expensive widgets.

If you have to scan the chip from an app downloaded from PCGS, then that should cover this vulnerability. A fake QR code that translates to a website, on the other hand, could go to a spoofed web page that shows it as being real, complete with a spoofed TrueView of the fake coin.

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

That's why you don't use a QR code - which has the entire URL encoded in it. The NFC chip just gives you some coded data that you send off using a URL built into the application.

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@TradesWithChops said:

That's why you don't use a QR code - which has the entire URL encoded in it. The NFC chip just gives you some coded data that you send off using a URL built into the application.

I said or not QR. ... Im sure given some time to tinker with it, an exploit could be made.

But now we are mixing skillsets - coin counterfeiting and hacking.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2019 9:15AM

@messydesk said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

@291fifth said:

If you have to scan the chip from an app downloaded from PCGS, then that should cover this vulnerability. A fake QR code that translates to a website, on the other hand, could go to a spoofed web page that shows it as being real, complete with a spoofed TrueView of the fake coin.

If forced to use the official app to read it, then maybe. It would depend on how the app validates the information. As long as the input is validated, should be good to go (that is, even if the chip itself is fake/with bad input).

But, there are vulnerabilities, ... https://securityboulevard.com/2019/10/nfc-false-tag-vulnerability-cve-2019-9295/

That said, this would be hard to pull off. This should be a huge win for PCGS.

• Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@messydesk said:

@TradesWithChops said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

@291fifth said:

If forced to use the official app to read it, then maybe. It would depend on how the app validates the information. As long as the input is validated, should be good to go (that is, even if the chip itself is fake/with bad input).

But, there are vulnerabilities, ... https://securityboulevard.com/2019/10/nfc-false-tag-vulnerability-cve-2019-9295/

That said, this would be hard to pull off. This should be a huge win for PCGS.

It would require a rogue app on the phone being used to test for authenticity, hacked in a fashion they dont recognize.

This could work: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/04/27/implant-android-attack/#4f38be841d23

So, if youre going to peddle high value coins, have access to actually good content to do so, a rogue app that can pull off the switcheroo when scanning the nfc chip...

It'd be interesting to fund this research.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

What will be the disposal of said chip for those that crack out and resubmit? Seems the crackout game got more expensive with the added charge.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone heard any updates on when this might be available? I have a group I want to send in for cross-grading but if this is announced, like, next week, I'd rather wait the few extra days.

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slick move, I like it.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options

Gold Shield NFC Technology is officially one week away!

We are excited to roll out this new added benefit to PCGS collectors free of charge starting February 24, 2020!

Make sure you update your PCGS Cert Verification app to take full advantage of the new technology.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very exciting! Can't wait to start trying this out :)

• Options
    HeatherBoydHeatherBoyd Posts: 406 admin
    edited February 17, 2020 2:59PM

Here is a look at how the new security feature will appear in the app. You'll notice the top green section which verifies the chip and holder authenticity as well as a section identifying that the coin features a chip. The green message will only appear when the page has been accessed by scanning the NFC chip. This message will also appear on the website for those who do not have the app installed.

Heather Boyd

• Options

@HeatherBoyd said:
    ... The green message will only appear when the page has been accessed by scanning the NFC chip.

Will a message stating that the holder should have a chip be displayed if it is not accessed through the NFC chip?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to seeing one of these.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s here.....

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@messydesk said:

@HeatherBoyd said:
    ... The green message will only appear when the page has been accessed by scanning the NFC chip.

Will a message stating that the holder should have a chip be displayed if it is not accessed through the NFC chip?

Yes!

There are three alert message
    1. This chip and holder are verified
    2. We were unable to verify at this time
    3. Invalid NFC technology detected

You will also see a new line of the Cert verification page for "Security" Which will state that a coin features a chip, letting you know you should be able to scan it.

Heather Boyd

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw some of these at the Long Beach show, interesting. Pretty cool how you just hold your phone next to it and it brings up the PCGS cert verification page w/ the TrueView photo.

That said, some others I talked to don't like the idea of a chip in their slabs... some told me it would be hard for someone with a much more powerful source than a phone to scan from a bit further away and see what coins you have from afar...

I don't know the technology well enough to say that is the case, but the fact that potential buyers are thinking that is a concern.

In any event, putting a submission in the mail today for the new slabs.

Would have dropped it off while at Long Beach on Saturday but the line was too long, can't be away from my table that long to wait with everyone. Unfortunate that PCGS closed up early at Long Beach on Saturday and also doesn't have a separate line for authorized dealers to drop off coins anymore. Oh well.

:)

• Options

Is the QR code gone? It could have been replaced with a "Frame" QR code, showing the "chipped" icon in the canvas area. Of course, I put stickers over those, anyway.

• Options

I have one in-hand and can add a couple of things...

The NFC chip has a serial # and that plus an encrypted data value is what is sent to PCGS...

I haven't bothered to blind the tac value since it seems to be valid only for a brief while or a certain number of reads.

When I ported the URL to my desktop a few minutes later I received an error:

But re-reading the tag I was able to open the cert page.

-----Burton
  • Options
    50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

I just had the opportunity to test this system out with a new acquisition and I must say it is awesome. I wasn’t sure if it’d work with my iPhone X but it did like a champ. My first attempt with another GS coin didn’t work so I guess it doesn’t have the chip. On my new coin that sucker scanned in the blink of an eye.

It’s a great system all around with the potential for a wealth of data. You can scan it and verify it, and, as was in my case, see my coin’s latest recorded auction sale. I could see how well I did comparatively 😛 AND that in between the previous auction and when I bought it, it was resubmitted and moved into a GS holder from a standard holder, thus identifying that I did even better than I thought. 😬

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

is there a known life span on these particular chips?

Hopefully this is a "passive" based emissions technology. So that it doesn't have a "half-life" comparable to a Duracell battery.

That would make these utterly useless.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason why I LOVE PCGS. Keep up the great work👍👌🇺🇸

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file