Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What is your favorite purchase from 2019?

Here is mine. I think it is a cool piece of history!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

That is such a nice 1776-Mo 8R - I have been hunting down one myself with no luck just yet finding one I like.

I know I keep posting this Pillar, but I think it may be my favorite pickup this year :smile:

Thanks for posting it again.
    It is a great looking Pillar!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some wonderful additions. For me, the highlight of the year would have to be another group of coins I've added from the Blackhawk Collection, including some amazing Huntington pieces.

• Options

@bosox said:
    1858 copper-nickel pattern cent, Charlton PC-7, in SP66. Finest known of about ten extant. Formerly in the Farouk, Norweb, & Belzberg collections. Currently, the Charlton catalog cover coin. Set a personal record for the most I have ever spent for a coin.

Beautiful!!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing @scubafuel

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

@robp2 -- what is your coin's SCBC #? (Or, what is the mint; I am terrible at ID'ing that.)

It comes under S3124, Tall horse with mane blown forward, Rev. Small crowned oval shield, mm. various.

The mint is moot. These coins are grouped together as W/SA (Worcester or Salopia) struck under the commission awarded to Thomas Cary on 22nd May 1644, but I think there is evidence that emergency coinage was struck outside this commission. Some mints are clear, such as that with CHST below the horse and an initial mark of three gerbs and a sword (the arms of Chester). Worcestershire has pears on the arms and the city itself also has a castle, so the W below halfcrowns with the tower mark can reasonably be assigned to Worcester. Shropshire (Salopia) or Shrewsbury, the county town, all have leopard heads on the arms. Again suggesting the association.

I think there is evidence to consider locations outside these two (Worcester & Shrewsbury). The bird marked shillings would fit the arms of Flintshire, which has 4 martlets in each quarter and a letter exists in Hawarden Public Record Office from Prince Rupert to pay the troops at Hawarden. Unfortunately undated, but given it refers to both Sir William Neale for provisioning the castle and Col. Marrow's troops, the one time they were in the same location was following it's capture on 3rd December 1643. Col. Marrow was mortally wounded outside Chester in August 1644.

Therefore, if the Boar's Head on the reverse has any meaning for the location, then Radnorshire would be an option, but could equally apply to a Royalist benefactor with a Boar's Head on his coat of arms. Nobody knows, or at least the evidence hasn't come to light yet. Boar's Head marked coins are rare, with only 2 halfcrowns, 1 shilling and either 8 or 9 sixpences known.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine would have to be the haul of scarce and rare dates of first republic 8 reales from the Mexican Collection sale Morten & Eden Auction .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces all!

thefinn
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    purchased this Canadian silver Dollar as a Large Bead 1966 which is the common coin.
    However, the TPG mis-designated it, because it is 100% a SMALL bead high grade 1966.
    difference is about 4-5 K's.

I'm voting you get a "You Suck" award. That's quite a score!

• Options

@Insider2 said:

You won’t go if you sell them to me at a fair price and give half the money to charity.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious. What would a fair price be?

$40
    $60
    $100

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Just curious. What would a fair price be?

$40
    $60
    $100

Couldn’t say because I can’t tell scale of what they are from photo.
    I was kidding but i love junk colonial silver

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The are called "Pillar Dollars." The "8" on the reverse is the denomination = Eight Reales. Usually they are a little larger than a Morgan dollar.

• Options

I know what 8 Reales / pillar dollars are. From the phots I could not initially tell whether they were 2’s,4’s or 8’s.
    Looking closer, I do see the 8’s

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

@bigmarty58 said:

Nice!

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one has got to be near the top.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice 1935$ :)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the 1756 NGC XF-45 Peru 4R but either the 1770 Bolivia PCGS AU-50 2R or 1755 Peru NGC MS-65 1/2R are a close second.

• Options

@WCC said:
    Probably the 1756 NGC XF-45 Peru 4R but either the 1770 Bolivia PCGS AU-50 2R or 1755 Peru NGC MS-65 1/2R are a close second.

Photos for all to admire would be nice.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@WCC said:

Photos for all to admire would be nice.

I can only provide links to the auction, as I have not photographed most of my collection and not good at it either.

https://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Lima-Peru-pillar-4-reales-Ferdinand-VI-1756-5JM-NGC-XF-45-finest-and-only-example-in-NGC-censu_i33012577

Coin is somewhat lighter than the image. Coin was almost certainly cleaned in the past which is why I believe NGC "net graded" it. Sedwick's description of "high-end" AU is accurate for wear. I'd certainly like to see the PCGS XF-45 (and maybe buy it) if given the opportunity.

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3281&lot=71135 Posted this one previously. It is conservatively graded IMO.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/peru/peru-ferdinand-vi-1-2-real-1755-lm-jd-ms65-ngc-/a/3076-34444.s
    Also posted this one previously.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 8:37PM

A coin from France's King Louis XI (1461-1483):

France Louis XI Ecu d'Or
    Gold, 27 mm, 3.34 gm, Perpignan Mint
    Obverse:
    Shield with three fleur-de-lis on it and crown above
    LVDOVICVS DEI GRA FRANCOR REX
    Reverse:
    Cross with fleur-de-lis at ends, mintmark 'P' in center (Perpignan Mint)
    XPS VINCIT XPS REGNAT XPS IMPERAT (Christ conquers, Christ reigns, Christ commands)

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television