Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hey Chopmark Collectors...

Hi Chopmark guys! I bought this on eBay today and was wondering if PCGS is designating “Chomarked” in world coins these days or is it still “damaged”?

This Pillar looks wonderfully original and can’t quite tell from the photo but may be a 1763/2. Either way thought it was nice.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting chops on an attractive coin - congrats. I'm sure @OriginalDan will chime in shortly.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Just a couple very small chops. Lately, my experience has been that world coins get the "Chopmark" label, but no straight grade. The actual numeral designator is still code 98 - damage, but at least the label calls it out as the historical kind of damage.

I've been especially frustrated because my chopmarked U.S. coin submissions that aren't trade dollars (like seated dollar, half dollar) are receiving different treatment, the labels say "Damage" even though I asked for "Chopmark" in the notes. So you'll probably be ok with this one getting the "Chopmark" label, but no guarantee.

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it's not a US Trade Dollar, it'll come back as a Details coin. Looks like a nice, original example, and that large reverse relief chop is very cool.

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! I like the subtle chops and it appears to have great eye appeal. It is not the overdate, the 63/2 tends to be a very clear overdate that is easily seen with the naked eye. Example below

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭