Home Precious Metals
Options

Do you like Gilded or colorized Silver bullion?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2019 7:50PM in Precious Metals

This kind of thing really was off putting to me when they did it to the State Quarters many years ago....but for some reason I am finding it more appealing to me now. Like it? Hate it? Don't care because bullion is bullion and not worth the premiums? What's wrong with Hallco asking about such a dumb topic? Everything is on the table! ;)

Edited to add....I do not own any. These pics are solely for examples on the topic!

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan, I think I may have an ASE somewhere with a sticker or some other coating on it, meh.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for it. I'm trying to think of a reason to type out... I got nothing, I just don't like it. B)

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the color of the metals. If I wanted something that looked like a colorized coin, I'd buy a decorated plate.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of colorized coins... I do have a couple of colorized ASE's that were given to me by my Mother... She thought they were great bless her heart...and I will never part with them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some of them are nice if done tastefully. It’s nothing I would buy, but they’re nice to look at.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

You never know - they might become the next hot collectible someday. Not for me, tho'

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not something I would pay more for.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

👎👎👎

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy those colored silver eagles for a buck or two under melt. A quick dip in acetone and the decals peel right off. Good as new!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 8:20PM

I've always been a fan of colorized bullion. Got the latest release from the Osborne Mint.

"WWII Iconic War Posters: The Fight"

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of it. But I could envision a scenario where I would buy some if the theme was of interest and it made sense. Not something I seek out.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

if done in good tasted and it looks decent then yes. im real selective on things like that

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I am not a fan of it. But I could envision a scenario where I would buy some if the theme was of interest and it made sense. Not something I seek out.

@johnny9434 said:
    if done in good tasted and it looks decent then yes. im real selective on things like that

I think this is where I am as well. I'm picky with stuff anyway. I'm not building a collection based on quantity. Because I'm not interested in a lot of topics that Silver bullion depicts anyway, the ones I do like seem to be hit or miss. Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

• Options
    bvmaybvmay Posts: 29 ✭✭

no

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like some but not all. If the colorization is not done by the issuing mint I have no interest in it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not something that I would ever buy.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I don't like either but if I had to choose I would take the gilded.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prefer plain ol’ gold. Though, the gilded and colored gold is quite interesting.

• Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

nope

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy buying colorized ASE's for melt and then let the acetone at home do its job. Its an extra step but save $3 per ASE...

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan but I did get a couple of 9/11 ones for my kids.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2020 10:37PM

Gross. I like my precious metal to look like gold or silver. Colorized stuff always looks kitchy or cheap to me.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.

• Options

Most "traditional" collectors will nix the idea, but they are a dying breed. The younger generation appears to be a great fan of well done colorized coins or medals. PS Even the US Mint is beginning to believe that.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its nice to look at in the same way you would look at a painting but for no nonsense investing I prefer just the metal by itself.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 1 because I'm a rail fan

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 1:52PM

I find colorized horrid. Gold gilded is ok I guess but I would not buy them.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most "traditional" collectors will nix the idea, but they are a dying breed. The younger generation appears to be a great fan of well done colorized coins or medals. PS Even the US Mint is beginning to believe that.

I've also been informed that my i-phone 4 is ancient. I missed out on a $1 rebate at the grocery store yesterday because it's too old to download the store's discount "app".

wHat maLarKy

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

I've also been informed that my i-phone 4 is ancient. I missed out on a $1 rebate at the grocery store yesterday because it's too old to download the store's discount "app".

wHat maLarKy

In case you're still running Windows 7, which is, just like your phone, also 10 years old:

"After 10 years, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020 10:37PM

Well, I just won this coin at auction about 20 minutes ago.
    I like it.

GrandAm :)