Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp and now for something completely different....an original but badly damaged dollar. Received!

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2019 3:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice....I like it! :)

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice engraving quality. What's interesting is that the shotgun is a break action, dating the engraving to at least post-Civil War. Surprised that they would have selected a 70+ year old dollar for this purpose when newer ones were certainly available.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know who CK was?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@Realone said:

@Broadstruck said:
    Do you know who CK was?

I believe it is KC.

No the prominent letter is the C as it's the furthest outward covering the 3 parts of the K.

Yet some may see it as KFC >:)

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful engraving and I love it!!!

@Realone I'm curious as to what makes you believe it is "KC" and not "CK" on the engraving?

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I like it.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Extremely Nice.

That should go to me tho as my first name starts with a "C" and my last name ends in a "K" :D

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unique.

Like it.

That's beautiful and took some skill.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 12:52PM

Very nice @Realone ! I love this collecting angle of yours!

I love the discussion on monogram and rifle as well. I can't really participate here but enjoy the discussion.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:

@divecchia said:
    That is a beautiful engraving and I love it!!!

@Realone I'm curious as to what makes you believe it is "KC" and not "CK" on the engraving?

Donato

The C is the prominent letter by far. Prominent in that it is bolder in engraving, first in order and in one piece. I spoke to a n expert and the prominent letter is the family name. That being said, it is often that the receiver knows his initials so the receiver never questions the order. The order is often hard for most to differentiate not knowing the name, but prominence typically trumps for family name.

Thanks for the explanation.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@Realone said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    Nice engraving quality. What's interesting is that the shotgun is a break action, dating the engraving to at least post-Civil War. Surprised that they would have selected a 70+ year old dollar for this purpose when newer ones were certainly available.

What is a "break action" and how can you be sure it is post civil war. I see a hammer and flint with a double trigger. Are you seeing something different.

@Broadstruck said:

@Realone said:

@Broadstruck said:
    Do you know who CK was?

I believe it is KC.

No the prominent letter is the C as it's the furthest outward covering the 3 parts of the K.

The C is the prominent letter by far. Prominent in that it is bolder in engraving, first in order and in one piece. I spoke to a n expert and the prominent letter is the family name. That being said, it is often that the receiver knows his initials so the receiver never questions the order. The order is often hard for most to differentiate not knowing the name, but prominence typically trumps.

I sat next to Lloyd L. Entenmann author of the book Love Tokens as Engraved Coins on a plane from coast to coast once. He spoke very passionately about them the entire flight and I felt like I was an expert once we landed. He also gave me a autographed copy of his book once we landed.

Anyhow I believe it's CK as if this was actually engraved at the time of issue you will find a considerable amount of more 1700 Century first names starting with the letter C than K.

• Options

@Realone said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Realone said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

What is a "break action" and how can you be sure it is post civil war. I see a hammer and flint with a double trigger. Are you seeing something different.

@Broadstruck said:

@Realone said:

@Broadstruck said:
    Do you know who CK was?

I believe it is KC.

The C is the prominent letter by far. Prominent in that it is bolder in engraving, first in order and in one piece. I spoke to a n expert and the prominent letter is the family name. That being said, it is often that the receiver knows his initials so the receiver never questions the order. The order is often hard for most to differentiate not knowing the name, but prominence typically trumps.

I sat next to Lloyd L. Entenmann author of the book Love Tokens as Engraved Coins on a plane from coast to coast once. He spoke very passionately about them the entire flight and I felt like I was an expert once we landed. He also gave me a autographed copy of his book once we landed.

Anyhow I believe it's CK as if this was actually engraved at the time of issue you will find a considerable amount of more 1700 Century first names starting with the letter C than K.

And I spoke to Sid Gail, head of the "Love Token Society". But to each their own, your opinion is valued. And I too have Lloyd's book.
    Thank you

Just wondering who it may have been if in fact it was engraved then.

As being a dollar it had to have been someone affluent with a passion for English shotguns.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all damaged in my opinion. Post Mint engraving but intentional as opposed to an accident or such. I think it is spectacular.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely item!

The extraordinary Quality and condition of the engraving leads me to believe, absent provenance to the contrary, that the work is very recent.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Looks professional compared to most I have seen.

My only love token is on a seated dime with the letters FI or IF, not sure which letter should be first. I like to ponder that it is not initials and that some guy handed it to a girl and said "IF" you would marry me......

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

....Illinois had a Company K in the Civil War ?

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breech loading gun. Looks like a s/s shotgun. If so that would make the engraving 1875 or later.

Wish I could mag the pic.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone took the time with some nice engraving. I like

• Options
    edited December 7, 2019 3:01PM

@Realone said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

A 'Break Action' is a variant of breech-loading design, still used in many firearms today. Notice how the barrel is separated from the action in the engraving? The entire barrel and foregrip pivots from a pin, allowing cartridges to be loaded and unloaded from the weapon. Muskets, on the other hand, could not break open from the back of the barrel, and were loaded from the muzzle. See below for a comparison image:

The action is also not a flintlock, but a percussion cap hammer. The Percussion Cap was employed beginning in the 1830s, the break action began to gain use after the Civil War. Break actions were seldom produced with flintlocks.

• Options

@Realone said:

@Baley said:
    Lovely item!

The extraordinary Quality and condition of the engraving leads me to believe, absent provenance to the contrary, that the work is very recent.

Highly doubt it lol
    Ex Ed Milas. Discovered at a Chicago estate sale approx 35+ years ago.

Well if so that gets it back to 1984 😉

• Options

@Nic said:
    Breech loading gun. Looks like a s/s shotgun. If so that would make the engraving 1875 or later.

We can just assume it might be a side by side double barrel shotgun.

It is a flintlock breech loader though.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 3:03PM

Break action is the hinged barrel, you “break” it open to reload. One trigger per barrel.

Breech load, not muzzle load.

Awesome engraving!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:

@Nic said:

We can just assume it might be a side by side double barrel shotgun.

It is a flintlock breech loader though.

To me, the curve at the top of the hammer would suggest a percussion cap hammer rather than a flintlock, which would be straight to accommodate the flint:

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll vote CK as the top of the C crosses the K twice at the top which is where the eye first focuses.

Don't know enough about firearms to comment on the > @Broadstruck said:

@Realone said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Realone said:

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Realone said:

@Broadstruck said:
    Do you know who CK was?

I believe it is KC.

And I spoke to Sid Gail, head of the "Love Token Society". But to each their own, your opinion is valued. And I too have Lloyd's book.
    Thank you

Just wondering who it may have been if in fact it was engraved then.

As being a dollar it had to have been someone affluent with a passion for English shotguns.

Why would they have to be affluent. If engraved in the mid to late 1800's, the host coin probably did not command significant numismatic value.

I'll vote CK as the top of the C crosses the K twice at the top which is where the eye first focuses.

Don't know enough about firearms to comment on the vintage.

Do know enough about rare coins to comment that this piece is awesome.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A: It is utterly gorgeous!
    B: You will never reach agreement as to whether it is CK or KC. Doesn't really matter.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant see the flintlocks on my phone. Trust you all!

Even if so, that makes the gun and engraving 1839 or later?

Beautiful!

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Circle K "We hunt your food for you"

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

I like it! It has some very intriguing design elements.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    A: It is utterly gorgeous!
    B: You will never reach agreement as to whether it is CK or KC. Doesn't really matter.

Unless the Estate can be traced back to someone specific.. Realone and others on here (LordMarcovan) have done it!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The engraving may have been done by a gun engraver. Some do beautiful work. It is possible that the gun may not be a shotgun, but a double rifle. Likely shotgun but remote possibility that it’s a rifle. Double rifles are still made in large caliber for safari big game hunters. Very expensive. If curious google Boss double rifle.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 5:25PM

What's not to like...beautiful engraving that's captivating.

You only need to change your signature line to be complete. Maybe you already did!

I like it a lot!!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow very nice!

Love the engraving

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

such a cool piece !!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 6:46PM

my opinion: C is bigger, K is smaller - K has roots going into the ground (family name). C. K.

But, they are basically in the same position, and they go over each other. So, K. C.

Im sure it is either one or the other. :)

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe 1795 was the birth year of the recipient ?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excessively cool. Congrats! Love it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that there was a long gap in silver dollar production between 1803 (datewise) and 1836. If this were made in, wild guess, 1825, it would have to be made with an older dollar. The actual year on the coin may or may not be significant.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Realone said:

Like it a lot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file