Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

“E” and “L” Countermarked Bust Quarters

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post photos if you own one. I think these are such a fascinating numismatic mystery. Anybody have any novel theories as to the origin of these coins?

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure most numismatist know MUCH more about these than I do, but one possible theory I heard was that they may have been awards in school for excelling in English or Latin.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NSP
    Great info. Thanks.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is unlikely that the real meaning will ever be known.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the quarters would still be worth 25c, and few people would have considered them of interest until later in the 20th century, did they just circulate at will, more or less unnoticed until people like Breen started opining on them? Why are there no other examples of a significant group of the same denomination counterstamped coins circulating, not getting taken out of circulation? I have had two of the L counterstamped quarters, one grading service actually straight grades them the other main one does not. Other theories could be developed with an exhaustive study of words starting with E and L and what they may have in common to have been used in tandem.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted Mcauley's article in the July 2004 John Reich Journal presents the most plausible, compelling explanation, IMO. It is lengthy but very well written and worthy of your time. Turn to page 4...
    The Enigmatic "E" and "L" Countermarked Quarters of 1815 & 1825. A New Hypothesis Regarding Their Origin, Purpose and Historical Context

Below are the first six pages, to get you started. Right-click "open image in new tab" for larger views.
    Lance.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    I'm sure most numismatist know MUCH more about these than I do, but one possible theory I heard was that they may have been awards in school for excelling in English or Latin.

This is the theory I've always heard.

But, if we are going to engage in speculation, how about some kind of voting mechanism for a secret society. Someone would be given one of each and put the desired "vote" into the ballot box.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quarter at the time had about the same purchasing power as a $20 bill today. Who would use $20s for voting?

Would be interesting to looked at the grading distribution of the counterstamped pieces as compared to the 1818 and 1825 non-counterstamped coins.

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 11:12PM

@Coinosaurus said:
    A quarter at the time had about the same purchasing power as a $20 bill today. Who would use $20s for voting?

Would be interesting to looked at the grading distribution of the counterstamped pieces as compared to the 1818 and 1825 non-counterstamped coins.

If you check the NGC Census, the vast majority of their grading events were for coins that graded AU50 or above. This is significantly higher grade than the rest of the series as a whole. I conducted an analysis of the 1815-1828 quarters on eBay and Collectors.com back in January and was able to assemble a grade distribution for the series. I personally think there are more lower graded coins than this grade distribution suggests, but either way, the E and L counterstamped coins are in far better condition than their non-counterstamped peers.

Edit: I attribute the spike for AU coins on Collectors.com to the fact that many dealers list high value coins on the site for long periods of time, causing them to appear to be more common than they actually are.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 11:37PM

While I do not have a E or a L
    Great articles.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 3:09AM

@Coinosaurus said:

The Economite vs. Leonite voting described in Part II of the JRCS journal article
    suggests they were tokens from the society's cache of silver (from property sales in 1815 and 1825),
    picked up by voters and then deposited as votes,
    so the $20 was not actually spent to vote.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like some organizations use black and white marbles....

You get one of each, deposit your "vote" into a ballot box and the other into a collection box. Both marbles stay with the organization.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have read the various theories on these counter-stamped coins over the years here....I am surprised that all are still theories. One would think that somewhere, someone, would have written of these coins and their purpose/meaning....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have read the various theories on these counter-stamped coins over the years here....I am surprised that all are still theories. One would think that somewhere, someone, would have written of these coins and their purpose/meaning....Cheers, RickO

They did. It's at Oak Island. :o

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Ted Mcauley's article in the July 2004 John Reich Journal presents the most plausible, compelling explanation, IMO. It is lengthy but very well written and worthy of your time. Turn to page 4...
    The Enigmatic "E" and "L" Countermarked Quarters of 1815 & 1825. A New Hypothesis Regarding Their Origin, Purpose and Historical Context

Below are the first six pages, to get you started. Right-click "open image in new tab" for larger views.
    Lance.

That is an exceptionally researched scholarly article, Lance. I would have thought that it would have been a PhD thesis; it should have been printed in a major publication like "The Atlantic" or "Vanity Fair", as it is that interesting.

The author says there are literally hundreds of thousands of pages of contemporary records on the Rapp sect, the Economites, in PA that would probably reveal facts on the coins that have apparently yet to be researched by a historian on this issue. We have had many Christian communist groups like this, there are some around still, so the background on the "Economites" shows a much tougher and profitable group.

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/389441-theories-on-the-1815-and-1825-e-and-l-on-quarters/

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@ricko said:

They did. It's at Oak Island. :o

Start the dig! ... and the never ending TV show. ;)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of the Economites, I had never heard of their $75k silver hoard. This brief recap of the hoard is fascinating.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/a-history-of-major-us-hoards

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are missing a good bit of information on the research into these interesting counterstamps.

Go to the JRCS website (JRCS.org) dropdown menu at top left select jr journal index search counterstamps and you will find 12 articles or letters concerning the E/L quarters.

Have fun reading about the ongoing thoughts about them.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is anyone up to buying a couple $1000 groups of one specific mint mark date quarter, with a 2020 date, and carefully counter stamping all of them either D on the left side of George or R on the right side of george, or something like that, and then launching them at 4 different cities in the US and wait to see when it picks up in the news or PCGS or this board?

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NSP said:

If you check the NGC Census, the vast majority of their grading events were for coins that graded AU50 or above. This is significantly higher grade than the rest of the series as a whole. I conducted an analysis of the 1815-1828 quarters on eBay and Collectors.com back in January and was able to assemble a grade distribution for the series. I personally think there are more lower graded coins than this grade distribution suggests, but either way, the E and L counterstamped coins are in far better condition than their non-counterstamped peers.

>

Thanks for posting this. The grading distribution suggests these pieces were preserved by recipients as somehow "special." The Economite archives appear to be the most promising resource at this point.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file