Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Boxed Proof Sets

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Say you buy a boxed(not sealed) early 50's proof set, from what you can tell through the cellophane pouches the set has above average coins in it.

Do you:

Collector, occasional seller

Boxed Proof Sets

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options

For the record, my opinion is generally to remove the coins and put them in better holders. The mint packaging wasn't intended for long term storage, coins can be damaged by it, and one can't fully appreciate the coins in the pouches since they are not exactly clear.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Are you planning to keep?

If so, you might consider moving the coins to better packaging.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Esp. any early 50's Franklin, when removing the cello, the Cameo jumps out more!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@acloco said:

I generally keep
    What would be the argument to keep them in the original packaging? I would think the main advantage is more confidence in sight unseen or internet sales.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@acloco said:

I generally keep
    What would be the argument to keep them in the original packaging? I would think the main advantage is more confidence in sight unseen or internet sales.

Resale.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Smudge's opinion is the same as mine.

Wish our host would offer a slab that would allow all of the coins to be graded in one slab.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

These sets are divided into two groups. The sets from 1950 to mid 1954 were in cellophane sleeves. The coins are usually okay if the set has not been stored in an attic garage or basement. From mid 1954 and for the 1955 box sets, they were stored in plastic sleeves, which usually ruined the coins with dark, ugly toning on the silver. It is one of the reasons why 1955 flat packs sell for more than 1955 box sets.

Removing the coins and putting them in a Capital Plastics holder results in a better display. Leaving them in the mint package preserves their originality. I prefer the latter, but either one is okay for raw coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 6:25AM

The coins sb removed from the packaging to prevent further pvc damage / exposure put in better holder (s) so they can be viewed properly. Cut them out!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sales purposes (short term) I would keep them in original cello envelopes. If they were mine, they would not be sold, so I would remove them for better storage purposes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're of the mind to have them graded then submit them in their original packaging so there it no question (or little question) about doctoring.
    Lance.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each and every set is different, so each set should be judged on its own merits

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1954 proof set that I put in a Capitol holder. I took the box, cello and even the original staple, and wrapped it in tin foil. If I ever decide to sell the set, I would include the original packaging along with the coins in the Capitol holder.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents on removing coins from the cellophane packaging is to not dump/slide the coins out of the cellophane, it has at a minimum become formed tightly to the coin and at worst become brittle, coarse, and abrasive. When I'm removing them from the cellophane, I always secure the coin solidly with 2 fingers through the cellophane and cut around at least 3 edges so I can fold the cellophane back and lift the coin out rather than risk hairlining the coins by sliding it out of the cellophane. I understand trying to keep the sleeves in tact for posterity, but I collect coins and not cellophane so the cellophane is sacrificed for the sake of preserving the coins.

PSA - This lesson has been brought to you today by @ModCrewman, tuition paid in full.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 2:26PM

@ModCrewman said:
    ... I understand trying to keep the sleeves in tact for posterity, but I collect coins and not cellophane so the cellophane is sacrificed for the sake of preserving the coins.

This is how I feel about them as well. It's almost a shame that the coins have been packed away since the early 50's without being really appreciated.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remove white gloved, examine for details, sometimes finding the slightest debris, maybe a quick dip, better reholder. It's all good. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Let me add a curve-ball that I'm almost embarrassed to admit... I only just noticed that this(1953) boxed set contains a re-engraved tail feather quarter. I forgot that was even a variety...

Don't answer the poll based on this additional info as the poll is referring to generic but nice sets.

Given this detail would you cut the coins out?

• Options

"Pics or it didn't happen"
    Not the best:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file