Home U.S. Coin Forum

Women's Suffrage Centennial Commemorative Coin Act - 2020 silver dollar

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 26, 2019 3:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The law directs the Treasury Department to issue $1 coins honoring the history of the women's suffrage movement.

The coins will mark 100 years since the 19th Amendment was ratified giving women the right to vote.

The law:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/s1235/text

Details, not more than 400,000 $1 coins, silver, 90%, diameter 1.500 inches, proof and uncirculated.

The beneficiary of the coin surcharge is the Smithsonian Institution’s American Women’s History Initiative.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Click on the link above and got a pop-up about the impeachment proceedings and how they work. I was hoping to see a lousy caricatured design of a coin that will likely not sell it's authorized limits.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet another US commemorative destined to be lost in obscurity. I also agree that it won't be minted to 400,000. Maybe 10% of it if that.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Hmm...

So the 2020 commems are:

Basketball
    Women's Sufferage

Aren't they talking about a Pilgrim commem also?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Hmm...

So the 2020 commems are:

Basketball
    Women's Sufferage

Aren't they talking about a Pilgrim commem also?

400th Anniversary of the Mayflower but it’s not legislated by Congress. The US Mint is using a previous authority to mint bullion. Joint with the Royal British Mint: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1017401/mayflower-400th-anniversary-joint-venture-project-with-the-british-royal-mint

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the Mint is going to have less time to design and create this than the Introduction Innobuck. Another coin that should take over a year to create, compressed to a couple of months.

This has disaster written all over it.

My guess is it'll do as well as the Civil Rights commem. The way things are shaping up, the next comemm I buy might be in 2022. :D

(The Basketball commem, lol. ISWHK. Can I say that here? ;))

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2020 1:20PM

No.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019 12:09AM

@Hemispherical said:
    Hmm...

So the 2020 commems are:

Basketball
    Women's Sufferage

And for 2021? My hope is fading for Morgan & Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary Commems

Instead, my crystal ball predicts...

Soccer
    50th anniversary of 26th Amendment (voting age changed to 18)

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a 2021 Peace dollar commem in gold n silver. Think how cool, a 1 oz. Peace design on a gold planchet, oh yeah in high relief too.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will wait to see the design....Not impressed with modern commemorative designs so far....Cheers, RickO

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019 5:53AM

I’m just now revisting the modern commemorative silver dollar series by building a Dansco album of these coins. Most of them can still be bought between 20 and $25. I am seems to be Congress driving around Washington DC, looking at buildings and saying “I kind of like that building, let’s put it on a coin...“ the current crop of more unpopular comments coins are barely selling 10k each. This will probably do as well

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    I'm hoping for a 2021 Peace dollar commem in gold n silver. Think how cool, a 1 oz. Peace design on a gold planchet, oh yeah in high relief too.

In silver, I think it (and a Morgan) will sell well. In gold, too expensive for most of the target collector base. I think volume would be much less than the 2009 HR Saint unless it is bought by a large number of flippers in which case it will do poorly in the secondary market.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

Yeah, at $1,900 if gold stays where it is...

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with commems is that Congress is involved and then it’s based upon that TWO legislature (house and senate) that introduces it...

...but...

... these legislatures could careless (IMO) and there is someone/group (lobbyist) petitioning these legislatures to introduces these commem bills.

I want to know who the lobbyists is/are.

Done.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

All silver commemoratives are going to be .999 from now on, because the Mint has no capacity to make alloyed ingots (or any ingots for that matter) and the silver suppliers can't be bothered to make .900 silver for one client.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    All silver commemoratives are going to be .999 from now on, because the Mint has no capacity to make alloyed ingots (or any ingots for that matter) and the silver suppliers can't be bothered to make .900 silver for one client.

That Franklin Mint was a cagey bunch. :D

I understand that at the bill signing ceremony yesterday, somebody asked why the Centennial of women getting the right to vote in 1920 was not celebrated years ago!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited April 22, 2020 10:58PM

They just gave us a peek at the official designs, and they really do look pretty interesting.

I’ll be in for one uncirculated silver dollar to keep my collection up-to-date. I’m guessing they won’t sell too well and I don’t feel like spending $100 in the aftermarket.

http://news.coinupdate.com/united-states-mint-announces-design-for-2020-womens-suffrage-centennial-silver-dollar/

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm underwhelmed by the design, but what do I expect from the USM?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    edited August 15, 2020 6:02PM

I’m gonna say I don’t like the Obverse design. Three portraits is too crowded. The reverse is nice though. Nice and Art Deco.

with this late selling date, high price and lack of interest I bet the uncirculated won’t even sell 10,000, which would be a new low for silver dollars commemoratives.

I’m guessing this thing is not going to fit in my Dansco album made for earlier 90% silver dollars.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt anyone will be backing up the truck for this one.

----- kj
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a lot of buzz generated over this one. Design doesn't seem balanced to me. This could be an all time low for sales unfortunately. Any last minute thoughts before it goes on sale?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last minute thoughts: good cause and purpose but the design isn’t inspiring. Elsewhere I saw it pointed out they are using a 50 star flag instead of the proper 48 star one that existed in 1920.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

most people don't know what the term "Women's Suffrage" even means or alludes to. I named my new Lab pup "Gette" and when I start by saying it's short for Suffragette I get the most peculiar looks followed by "Oh" after I explain.

the dumbing of America is at an all-time high.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    most people don't know what the term "Women's Suffrage" even means or alludes to. I named my new Lab pup "Gette" and when I start by saying it's short for Suffragette I get the most peculiar looks followed by "Oh" after I explain.

If folks saw the name of your pup in a text I'd think the pronunciation would run the gamut from "get" to "jet" to "Geddy"...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

the actual spelling is with an apostrophe --- 'Gette.

you're right, though, when people see it spelled they are confused.

@keets said:

I am reminded of how Gracie Allen used to say that “Gracie” is short for “Grace.”

:p

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020 10:22AM

They go on sale at the US Mint website today:

https://news.coinupdate.com/silver-dollar-commemorating-the-100th-anniversary-of-womens-suffrage-on-sale-august-18

Interestingly enough, there is no accompanying $5 gold coin.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they sold out yet??

----- kj
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Is your pup a black Lab? That might explain some of the confusion, you know, jet black.

But mostly I'm surprised nobody has quoted David Bowie's "Suffragette City" yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED3SBJhawcA

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:

But mostly I'm surprised nobody has quoted David Bowie's "Suffragette City" yet.

I was singing it in my head, does that count?

Let’s at least try to have some fun and predict first week sales...

Proof (all options) 7000
    Unc 5200

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

$69 for a newly minted proof Silver $1 Commem? I’m still trying to sell my large pile of March of Dimes $1 Proof Commems below Greysheet for $30/coin with no success!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ButteredfatkidButteredfatkid Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Actually kind of surprised the medal and silver dollar set hasn’t sold out with only 10,000 minted

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file