Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mayflower 400th Anniversary Joint Venture Project with the British Royal Mint

HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2019 9:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The US Mint director, David Ryder, has mentioned a joint venture project between the US Mint and the British Royal Mint in the celebration of the 400th Anniversary of the Mayflower. He has stated, that the Secretary of Treasury has approved this project. Details are in the video and article listed below.

Overall, I think the US Mint is heading into a positive direction; and let us hope that the designs are fantastic and are representative of the US, Britain, and the Mayflower.

US Mint's Director's comments about the joint venture project.

Skip to the 4:05 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHT5-RB28aQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks @EagleEye for the video; https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1017332/mint-director-david-ryder-talks-at-ana-pittsburgh-show-3-27-19

Article in CoinWeek By Louis Golino - March 20, 2019

Challenging the Status Quo: An Interview With U.S. Mint Director David J. Ryde

"This is always a work in progress, but I have an interesting program with the British Royal Mint on the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower landing in America. We are working a joint project with them that has come quite a long way. I hope to have that out yet this year, and the Royal Mint is very keen on the partnership."
https://coinweek.com/us-mint-news/challenging-the-status-quo-an-interview-with-u-s-mint-director-david-j-ryder/

Thanks @cladking for posting this earlier; https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016648/potentially-important-coinweek-article

Providing some information on the Mayflower's 400th Anniversary.

"2020 marks the 400th anniversary of the sailing of the Mayflower from Plymouth UK to Plymouth Massachusetts.
This is a unique opportunity to commemorate the legacy of the passengers and crew who undertook the journey and to highlight their stories and heritage, which is embedded in communities across the UK, US and Netherlands.

The Mayflower 400 programme has been created to leverage this opportunity, aligning 11 core destinations in England with wider local, national and international partners and over 20 million US citizens descended from the Mayflower. It will deliver a world-class series of events, public art and wider content that will commemorate this exceptional voyage and provide a major ongoing impact across the partnership, knitting together communities, inspiring creativity and culture, driving economic growth, and promoting understanding and education.

Mayflower 400 will champion the values of freedom, faith and personal liberty that informed the original journey, and which continue to be articulated in the special relationship between the UK, US and Netherlands. At the same time, the commemoration will recognise the impact of the Mayflower’s journey on Native American communities and address themes of colonialism and migration, providing an accurate, inclusive account of the Mayflower’s legacy.

Together, we will draw inspiration from our past to steer our future – from now, to 2020, and for generations to come."

Source: https://www.mayflower400uk.org

"Plans for the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower have been announced. Here’s what’s happening."

Source: https://www.boston.com/culture/events/2019/03/16/400th-anniversary-mayflower-events

Tribe, 3 countries plan 400th Pilgrim anniversary in 2020
March 15, 2019

BOSTON (AP) — Native American leaders are teaming up with groups in the U.S., Britain and the Netherlands to ensure next year’s commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the Pilgrim landing showcases the harsh legacy of colonization.

Events are planned in all three countries in 2020 to reflect on the Pilgrims’ arrival in 1620 in what is now Massachusetts.

Organizers gathered Thursday at the New England Historical Genealogical Society to firm up plans for yearlong remembrances of the Mayflower’s voyage — and the disease, racism and oppression native people suffered after the European settlers arrived.

Wampanoag activist Paula Peters, who has been insisting on an unvarnished look back, said Friday the tribal perspective is getting “a lot of support.”

Past commemorations have glossed over the suffering.

“We’ve been marginalized and sanitized,” Peters said. “This isn’t about restorative justice. We’re not going to get that. But I feel like we’re being given an ample platform to tell our story.”

Commemorations also are planned in Britain and the Netherlands, where the Pilgrims spent more than a decade before sailing to the New World.

“This project explores centuries of shared history between Britain, Holland and America,” said Charles Hackett, CEO of Mayflower 400, which is organizing events in Britain. British organizers hope to draw visitors there and “increase awareness of this pivotal event,” Hackett said.

Michele Pecoraro, executive director of Plymouth 400 Inc., a nonprofit group organizing yearlong events, said the 2020 commemoration will differ markedly from the 350th anniversary in 1970, when the Native American voice was largely a footnote.

“The way the story is being told is different than past commemorations because each of the four nations involved are at the table together for the first time,” she said.

Source: https://apnews.com/1a87704a406842099a4498bae250ee13

If anyone has any information on the 400th Anniversary celebration of the Mayflower, please share.

The last commemorative coins issued in 1920/1921 from Coin Facts.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not able to view the video at work - will there be a US coin? I was not aware any legislation had passed.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mayflower 400th. anniversary theme presents a challenge for the mint. How will they design a coin that is politically correct when the subject represents an event that is so traditionally and historically old time America? Somehow they'll figure out how to clutter it up to make it all nice and PC. Maybe something like a boat with a teenage girl at the wheel.....with the inscription; "Women of the Mayflower! Four Hundred years of Exploration, Discovery, and Progress!" Can't wait.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I am not able to view the video at work - will there be a US coin? I was not aware any legislation had passed.

Did cursory search and it looks like there has been no Commemorative Act for the Mayflower that has made it out of a committee since 2015.

The last time a bill was introduced was for the 2017-2018 Congressional term and it also foundered in committee.

Not finding anything for the current 2018-2019 Congress.

https://www.congress.gov/search?searchResultViewType=expanded&q={"source":"legislation","search":"Mayflower"}

Which leads me to believe that if a commemorative coin act for the Mayflower is not rendered and passed then there will not be a coin but a medal.

• Options

Over the past year I have written 2 or 3 letters to both Mass. Senators and he Congressman from the district that includes Plymouth, urging their support for Mayflower coin legislation. I have received not one single response from anyone. :/

• Options

@JBK said:
    Over the past year I have written 2 or 3 letters to both Mass. Senators and he Congressman from the district that includes Plymouth, urging their support for Mayflower coin legislation. I have received not one single response from anyone. :/

MA has 11 people in Congress. You would think at least one of them could draft and sponsor a bill for a Mayflower commem. They can copy/paste from one of the other bills.

Elizabeth Warren
    Ed Markey
    Richard Neal
    James “Jim” McGovern
    Lori Trahan
    Joseph Kennedy III
    Katherine Clark
    Seth Moulton
    Ayanna Pressley
    Stephen Lynch
    William Keating

• Options

Historical documents from the State Library of Massachusetts.

This codex manuscript by Plymouth colonist William Bradford documents the life and travels of the Pilgrims from 1608-1647. It was during this time in which they departed England for the Netherlands, organized themselves as a company to settle in America, and weathered several decades of life in North America.

Mayflower Compact

Thanksgiving 1621

Page 1 of 5, Passengers of the Mayflower

More documents here: https://archives.lib.state.ma.us/handle/2452/208249

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Having attempted to contact congress critters about the 2019 150th Anniversary Transcontinental Railroad Commemorative (the anniversary will be in two months), I learned that if you're not from the congress critters district, they don't give a crap what you have to say.

I would argue the Transcontinental Railroad was a more important and transformative event for America than the Lions Club or the Apollo 11 landing...

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

The coin is being produced under the Treasury secretary's authority, not by congressional legislation.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

I would argue the Transcontinental Railroad was a more important and transformative event for America than the Lions Club or the Apollo 11 landing...

I agree on the Lions Club, but the Apollo landing was pretty important - suitable that it happened 100 years after the continent was finally crossed by rail.

Unfortunately our government is too concerned with infighting and backstabbing political opponents to do anything worthwhile these days.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@Dentuck said:
    The coin is being produced under the Treasury secretary's authority, not by congressional legislation.

Not sure the Mint can produce a “coin” without a PL. Leaning more toward a medal if there is no PL.

• Options

I think (?) Platinum is the only coin where the Sec of the Treasury has leeway under the original legislation.....

• Options

"Chapter 31, Section 5112, of the United States Code gives the secretary of the Treasury considerable leeway in the specifics of the nation's gold bullion coins. Without needing to get congressional orders or approval, the secretary can change coinage designs, denominations, and other details in coins of that precious metal (similar changes in silver bullion coins would require Congress to get involved). The Mint has used this authority to create such modern marvels as the MMIX Ultra High Relief gold double eagle (2009), a gold Kennedy half dollar (2014), and a new American Liberty high-relief gold coin (2015). Authority for 2016 gold coins struck with the designs of the Mercury dime, the Standing Liberty quarter, and the Liberty Walking half dollar, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their debut, derives from the same legislation."
    --- American Gold and Silver: U.S. Mint Collector and Investor Coins and Medals, Bicentennial to Date

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love for them to reuse either the obverse or reverse design of the 1920 commem. I think that could really help fuel some interest in the original commem series.

Personally, I think the mint should consider an entire Bicentennial (or Tri- or Tetra-) series for all of the original Centennial (or Tri-) coins in the commem series. How great would that be for fueling interest in the original coins?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 12:17PM

RE: "freedom, faith and personal liberty that informed the original journey..."

Curiously, the Puritan Separatists who organized the trip did not believe in individual freedom, personal decisions of faith, or personal liberty. They left England and the Church of England for their group's freedom to practice their briefs, but punished anyone who believed otherwise. If not for the abundance of wild game and the generosity of native Americans, the colony would have gone the same way as the earlier Roanoke Colony.

They routinely persecuted anyone challenging the "standard" beliefs and demonized rebellious groups such as those led by Roger Williams. (Williams was expelled for radical beliefs including: "advocating separation of church and state in Colonial America. His views on religious freedom and tolerance, coupled with his disapproval of the practice of confiscating land from Native Americans, earned him the wrath of his church and banishment from the colony."

Maybe Thanksgiving Day should focus more on the natives and less on the savage Puritans.
    :)

• Options
    edited April 3, 2019 1:06PM

@Dentuck said:
    "Chapter 31, Section 5112, of the United States Code gives the secretary of the Treasury considerable leeway in the specifics of the nation's gold bullion coins. Without needing to get congressional orders or approval, the secretary can change coinage designs, denominations, and other details in coins of that precious metal (similar changes in silver bullion coins would require Congress to get involved). The Mint has used this authority to create such modern marvels as the MMIX Ultra High Relief gold double eagle (2009), a gold Kennedy half dollar (2014), and a new American Liberty high-relief gold coin (2015). Authority for 2016 gold coins struck with the designs of the Mercury dime, the Standing Liberty quarter, and the Liberty Walking half dollar, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their debut, derives from the same legislation."
    --- American Gold and Silver: U.S. Mint Collector and Investor Coins and Medals, Bicentennial to Date

I’d would not complain for a gold bullion coin. :)

But, I would want it to be released to the public at the same cost it’s released to “authorized bullion dealers.” I know, wishful thinking, but it would be nice.

Edit to add: Thanks @Dentuck for the info.

• Options

@Dentuck said:

This is the actual wording in the law:

(C) The Secretary may continue to mint and issue coins in accordance with the specifications contained in paragraphs (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection (a) and paragraph (1)(A) of this subsection at the same time the Secretary in minting and issuing other bullion and proof gold coins under this subsection in accordance with such program procedures and coin specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.

31 U.S. Code § 5112. Denominations, specifications, and design of coins

• Options

@JBK said:
    I think (?) Platinum is the only coin where the Sec of the Treasury has leeway under the original legislation.....

SecTreas can only issue gold coinage by law without congressional approval.

• Options

Follow-up note: Director Ryder in his remarks in Pittsburgh mentioned "gold and silver." The silver piece in this program would be a national medal, rather than a legal-tender coin.

• Options

@Dentuck said:
    Follow-up note: Director Ryder in his remarks in Pittsburgh mentioned "gold and silver." The silver piece in this program would be a national medal, rather than a legal-tender coin.

I can work with that.

• Options

RE: "...may prescribe from time to time."

I sure hope the Secretary's handwriting in better on his prescriptions than my Doctor's on his.... ! Geezzz... we could end up with a 5-foot aluminum pocket piece featuring Elmer Fudd.

;)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 7:11PM

@Hemispherical said:
    The last commemorative coins issued in 1920/1921 from Coin Facts.

Amazing looking coin. This is what keeps the prices of classic commems high!

• Options
    edited April 3, 2019 7:51PM

FWIW - Back at the October Mint meeting Dir. Ryder mentioned partnering with other mints. I openly suggested a "Nation of Immigrants" theme featuring a pair of coins highlighting a country of origin and the immigrant contribution to America. Prototype being the Leif Erickson commemoratives. But it was an obvious concept and I'm sure already in the works last Oct.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2019 1:33PM

@RogerB said:

Maybe Thanksgiving Day should focus more on the natives and less on the savage Puritans.

I think you make a good and valid point Roger. The lovely Mrs. Hydrant is a descendant of those SAVAGE Puritans. Her family arrived in 1636. At my birthday party yesterday, all 10 Hydrant grandchildren acted the part of true SAVAGES. They must get it from her side of the family. My mother was .0000014% Cherokee so my side is O.K......PASS THE CRANBERRY SAUCE!

• Options

Happy Birthday @Hydrant!

What kind of cake was it with all the grandchildren? Sugar rush!

• Options

German chocolate. My favorite. Only problem was that the cake wasn't big enough for all the candles.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    German chocolate. My favorite. Only problem was that the cake wasn't big enough for all the candles.

German chocolate is exquisitely awesome!

Next time get a number eight candle and put it in it’s side. :)

• Options

From Coin World:

coinworld:Mint to issue a 2020 $10 coin celebrating Pilgrim anniversary

Officials say gold coin celebrating ‘Mayflower’ not a commemorative

This will be similar to American Liberty (issued by SecTres authorization), with the gold coin struck on an AGE blank, and the silver medal on a ASE blank.

• Options

I am glad that the mint director stepped in to make this happen where Congress failed to act, but gold is a bit pricey for most people, especially non-collectors, and the organizations that would have benefitted from the surcharges in a commemorative coin program will lose out.

But, it is better than nothing, and good for Mr. Ryder for getting it done.

• Options

Fantastic!

Hopefully one of the offerings will be a gold and silver set.

• Options

Thx for posting this link. I read the article and it referenced the act that authorized the 1920 coin issued to commemorate the 300th anniversary. That legislation was very simple in its wording - it named a subject matter, a composition (silver), and a maximum mintage. What it apparently did not mention was any requirement that the coins had to be minted in a specific year, or that coins could not be sold after a specific date. Hmmm >:)

The maximum mintage was 300,000. When the first 200,000 did not sell out in 1920 the sponsoring committee ordered 100,000 more. Because the additional coins were minted in 1921 they were required by law (earlier unrelated legislation) to carry the date of striking, so "1921" was added to the design.

In the end, around 128,000 coins in total remained unsold and were returned to the Mint to be melted. The maximum mintage was actually exceeded by a couple hundred coins which were sent to the U.S. Assay Commission. So, the adjusted mintage fell short of the maximum by a little over 127,000 coins.

What is to stop the mint from striking, say, 125,000 more Pilgrim Half Dollars in 2020? The precedent was already set in 1921 when more were minted. I sent a letter off to the new Mint Director to see what he thinks. ;)

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this up recently. On the subject

• Options

That is nice @DNADave! 350th Anniversary!

• Options
    edited April 15, 2019 5:56PM

If anyone wants to listen in on the upcoming CCAC meeting where they plan on discussion the gold coin and silver medal. See items highlighted in bold.

—————

The United States Mint announces the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) public meeting scheduled for April 16-17, 2019.

Date: April 16-17, 2019.

Time: Day 1 (April 16, 2019): 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.; Day 2 (April 17, 2019): 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Location: 2nd Floor Conference Room A&B, United States Mint, 801 9th Street NW, Washington, DC 20220.

Subject: Review and discussion of candidate designs for the Mayflower 400th Anniversary 24K Gold Coin and Silver Medal, the 2019 American Innovation $1 Coins, and the 2021-2025 American Eagle Platinum Proof Coin Series.

Interested members of the public may either attend the meeting in person or dial in to listen to the meeting at (866) 564-9287/Access Code: 62956028.

Interested persons should call the CCAC HOTLINE at (202) 354-7502 for the latest update on meeting time and room location.

Any member of the public interested in submitting matters for the CCAC's consideration is invited to submit them by email to info@ccac.gov.

The CCAC advises the Secretary of the Treasury on any theme or design proposals relating to circulating coinage, bullion coinage, Congressional Gold Medals, and national and other medals; advises the Secretary of the Treasury with regard to the events, persons, or places to be commemorated by the issuance of commemorative coins in each of the five calendar years succeeding the year in which a commemorative coin designation is made; and makes recommendations with respect to the mintage level for any commemorative coin recommended.

Members of the public interested in attending the meeting in person will be admitted into the meeting room on a first-come, first-serve basis as space is limited. Conference Room A&B can accommodate up to 50 members of the public at any one time. In addition, all persons entering a United States Mint facility must adhere to building security protocol. This means they must consent to the search of their persons and objects in their possession while on government grounds and when they enter and leave the facility, and are prohibited from bringing into the facility weapons of any type, illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, or contraband.

The United States Mint Police Officer conducting the screening will evaluate whether an item may enter into or exit from a facility based upon Federal law, Treasury policy, United States Mint Policy, and local operating procedure; and all prohibited and unauthorized items will be subject to confiscation and disposal.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
    Betty Birdsong, Acting United States Mint Liaison to the CCAC; 801 9th Street NW; Washington, DC 20220; or call 202-354-7200.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2019 7:07AM

CCAC meeting 16-17 Apr 19.

Designs for the Mayflower Coin and Medal:

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2020-mayflower-400th-anniversary-24k-gold-coin-and-silver-medal-program

—————-

Other information not related to this thread.

Designs for Platinum Eagle:

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2021-2025-american-eagle-platinum-proof-coins

Designs for AI for DE, PA, NJ, and GA:

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2019-american-innovation-dollar-coin-delaware

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2019-american-innovation-dollar-coin-pennsylvania

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2019-american-innovation-dollar-coin-new-jersey

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2019-american-innovation-dollar-coin-georgia

—————

What’s funny are the call-ins who fail to mute. Been in many conference calls and its hilarious hearing what people say not realizing that others are listening. :D

• Options
    edited April 16, 2019 4:58PM

Some of the designs. There are 26 proposed designs.

• Options

Proposed Gold Coin:

Proposed Silver medal:

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical, you know Red Lobster might be willing to sponsor the designs that feature a lobster around the edge.

A bit more seriously, I appreciate a coin commemorating the Mayflower. But for goodness sakes, how can 12-GC-R be considered when it features neither the Mayflower or a Pilgrim?

Mark

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the designs jump out at me. I can usually pick one or two on the commemorative type contenders. We'll see which makes it to production.

• Options

I missed the article when it came out, but was figuring this would happen based upon what I was hearing during the call-in. Real life intervened so I missed the final tally which didn’t make a difference anyways.

Basically CCAC is passing off the making any recommendations and leaving it up to the Mint to collaborate with the British Royal Mint. IMO, this is a good thing.

None of the proposed designs did anything for me either @Kudbegud @Mark. Hopefully something awesomely synergistic develops when the two Mints work together.

I like the idea of a joint US & British Royal Mint combined release of coin(s) and medal(s), too. Get them all at one time.

OT: Still waiting for the joint US & Royal Australian Mints release of the Apollo 11 coin set.

—————-

“Members of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee were unable to reach consensus, during their two-day meeting April 16 and 17, on proposed designs for a gold $10 coin and silver medal recognizing the 1620 disembarking of the Pilgrims from the Mayflower at Plymouth Rock in present day Massachusetts.

The CCAC members passed a motion allowing the Mint to make the design recommendations based on compatibility with any designs under development by the British Royal Mint.

CCAC Chairman Tom Uram said it is believed the U.S. Mint may package or market the Mayflower coin and medal as a joint release with the British Royal Mint.”

More at: https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/04/ccac-fails-to-select-mayflower-designs-for-2020.all.html

• Options
    edited May 5, 2019 1:36PM

This is a very interesting development. We will see what the mint comes up with on its own. Without Congress and even CCAC involvement this is a chance for the mint to really shine.

• Options

@JBK said:
    This is a very interesting development. We will see what the mint comes up with on its own. Without Congress and even CCAC involvement this is a chance for the mint to really shine.

Agree. This is a prime opportunity to shine without any type of baggage.

I really do hope something great comes out of this.

• Options

Below is an extract from the letter to the Director from Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) on their recommendations for the gold coin and silver medal. Previous post has the images for comparison.

The CFA recommendations for the gold and silver incorporates the Mayflower, native Americans, and pilgrims.

The meeting was held on 18 Apr 2019 at Suite 312, 401 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001-2728

——-

25 April 2019
    Dear Mr. Ryder:

In its meeting of 18 April, the Commission of Fine Arts reviewed design alternatives for a gold coin and silver medal to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower voyage. The Commission was pleased to take into consideration the preferences of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC), and provided the following recommendations and comments.

Gold coin. Consistent with the preferences of the CCAC, the Commission members recommended alternative 06-GC-O for the obverse and 07-GC-O for the reverse. As part of the necessary coordination of text for this pairing, they suggested that the inscriptions “Liberty” and “In God We Trust” be placed on the reverse in association with the Pilgrims, rather than on the obverse depicting a Native American family.

Silver medal. Consistent with the preferences of the CCAC, the Commission members recommended alternative 04A-SM-O for the obverse and 11-SM-R for the reverse; they commented that this pairing effectively conveys the theme of survival, contrasting the vulnerability of the newly arrived Pilgrims with the self-sufficiency of the Native Americans.

As always, the staff is available to assist you with future submissions.

Sincerely,

/s/Thomas E. Luebke, FAIA
    Secretary

https://www.cfa.gov/records-research/project-search/cfa-18-apr-19-8

—————

For the “play-by-play” go to paragraph H for the minutes involving the gold coin and silver medal.

In my opinion it was much more productive than the CCAC meeting which I listened to via teleconference (meeting minutes still to be published).

https://www.cfa.gov/records-research/record-cfa-actions/2019/04/cfa-meeting/minutes

• Options

The British Royal Mint has made a “Mayflower £2 coin” and it is part of their 2020 annual mint set.

The £2 Mayflower coin:

The designer of the British Mayflower coin is Chris Costello, name sound familiar? It is because he is from the U.S. and has designed over 20 coins for the U.S. Mint, https://www.usmint.gov/learn/artists/aip-chris-costello

The following quote is from Costello about his design for the British Mayflower coin, “The process of this design began with historical research and visits to the museums in Plymouth, Massachusetts, then I formulated visions in my mind of what this coin would look like. Many of the features and details of the ship were imaginary… There is a bit of mythical interpretation of the Mayflower story, since nobody really knows what the ship actually looked like. I wanted to create a romantic view with stylized waves that contrasted with the precarious position of the ship in rough seas, thus making an iconic and memorable design; a contemporary coin with subtle traditional beauty that both British and Americans would appreciate and want to own as a keepsake in memory of this historic event.”

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/annual-sets/2020-annual-coin-sets/discover/mayflower/

The British 2020 set consists of coins to commemorate the following:

Agatha Christie
    George III
    Mayflower
    Team GB
    VE Day

The various sets include finishes of uncirculated and proof; and compositions of non-precious (copper, steel, cupro-nickel, etc.), silver, and gold metals.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/annual-sets/2020-annual-coin-sets/discover/

Much more information can be found at the above link for this set from the Royal British Mint.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2020 9:40AM

Why does every design have an inner circle? Is it supposed to be a bi-metallic coin like the UK coin or were the designers instructed to use a circle like on the America’ the Beautiful quarter reverses?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file